Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Help me find a bargain bike for a little lady.
  • PJay
    Free Member

My partner rides a cheap 14″ Giant hardtail, it’s ok (much better thank the nasty mild steel tank of an Apollo she used to have) but I’d like to get her something better for her birthday.

We don’t have a lot of spare cash so £500 absolute tops is the budget (but lower would be better).

So, I’m on the lookout for a 2010 or earlier bargain, I’ve seen some nice Scott Contessas and Kona Lisas, but being older models they’ve been the less popular sizes, which for ladies’ bikes are larger (17″+), she’s 5’4″ and would need a 13″-14″.

What’s out there? I’m looking for a hardtail for general road and light off-road fun rides. I don’t supposed it needs to be women specific either.

hainman
    Free Member

think my pal got a spesh myka for her crimbo at about 350-400.nice bike but only mech disk brakes.not sure if that would do your good lady…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spesialised myka – my missus has one – it comes in a variety of levels of equipment.

Note that the frames are tiny – at 5’5″ mrs TJ ended up with a 17″ frame – the 15″ was just too small

Edinburgh bike co op own brand bikes are very good value as well

joolsburger
    Free Member
    PJay
    Free Member

Thanks, the Myka does look good. It is hard knowing what frame size to go for, her current Giant is 14″ without a lot of post showing so I was assuming something around that size. Perhaps I’ll email Spesh. and see what they suggest. 15″ might be okay.

jeff

My missus sounds about the same size – she has two small On-one inbreds – one the normal geared frame, the other a 456. Good riding bikes.

Inbred frame + some basic Marzocchi forks, plus re-use the bits from the Giant?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

£500 isn’t a lot for a new bike – surely whatever you get won’t be much better than the Giant? If the Giant frame is basically OK, why not upgrade that?

If its not very sexy – get the frame resprayed.

z1ppy

ADH speaks the truth, though just to continue the Myka love, I got my missus a 2nd hand Myka too (but it replaced a frame that was simply too long for her)

philconsequence
    Free Member

lots of sexism on this thread, TJ i am disappoint.

“little lady”, “missus”… they’re called “wimminz” or “kitchen people” surely? 🙄

PJay
    Free Member

The Giant Mistral’s pretty basic and heavy with Vs and no disc mount on the frame (it was £250 at full price). The RS Dart is pretty poor too. £500 isn’t a lot for a new bike but there are some decent discounts on 2010 models so I’m sure that I could get something noticably better. I’ve seen a lovely looking Marin Bear Valley that came within budget but sadly only in frame sizes that were too large. There might still be something out there though.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_OAB got a Cannondale F9000SL, Hopes, XT and LX, light as a feather in XS (@12-13″) size. Fits like a glove, goes like a rocket, and has the headshock tuned for a 7.5st, 5′ woman…
    Second hand off here, it was £250….
    Put a ‘wanted up’ and keep hunting – took 6weeks to find ours.

PJay
    Free Member

That Cannondale looks lovelly!

The Specialized Myka sizing chart on the Evans site puts 5’4″ on the cross over point between 13.5″ and 15.5″ so maybe a 15 would do if I go down that route. Specialized themselves (blindingly fast response to the email) suggest that she needs a fitting.

hainman
    Free Member

pjay sorry i should have said my pal is prob about 5,3-5,4 and she rides the 15″ and its perfect for her and she loves it.shes already planning on going for hydr brakes but think shes way ahead of herself…..
    hope this helps you and your wee lady…..

hels
    Free Member

Being a 5’4″ giant I think she might need bigger than 14/15 inch I am a total midget and thats what I ride. Mind you all bikes measure frames differently yes indeedy.

Also, as I often say to people at work, what problem are you trying to solve ? Is it the weight ?? Or is it just had it, perhaps a new drive train or brakes upgrade might help more.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I got the mrs a Giant Yukon FX2 from Paul’s Cycles. For light duties it’s perfect. It is heavy though, but as she won’t ride down any big hills it means she doesn’t have to ride up them either.

It’s a small and she claims to be 5’3″ (but I’m not convinced).

blades2000
    Free Member

My wife also has a Specialized Myka, 15″ frame. She is 5’4″ if that helps.

BoardinBob
    idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Don’t discount non-female-specific bikes depending on how your OH is proportioned. Mine is 5’6″ and found the 17″ Myka FSR way too cramped in the top tube and so ended up on a 17″ Camber which she feels much more comfortable on.

Stuey01
    Free Member

My better half has a 13″ Myka, she’s 5’2″.

I would think it would be too small for someone 5’4″

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Got my girlfriend a 13″ Myka pro frame and fork plus a few bits off here with juicy 3s for under your max budget including the finishing kit etc I had to buy separately.

She’s 5’1″ so I would say 15″ for your good lady.

BoardinBob

I would say 15″ for your good lady.

*snigger*

z1ppy

I’d second the 2nd the cannondale small frame choice, a m8’s F500 (guessing @ the model really), had exactly the length (short) TT as the myka I was looking for. Would have had it, if his new bike had come along quicker

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My G/F is 5’4″ & rides a Myka full suss model in the medium, which i believe is around the 15″ mark.
    To give you an idea of sizing, i’m 5’2″ and ride an 04 Mount Vision & an 09 Wolf Ridge. Both in the small (15.5″) size.
    The Mount Vision is too long for her whilst the Wolf Ridge is spot on for her, i find the riding position of the Myka to be too cramped in comparison.
    Mind you, i have a long torso for my height & women tend to have shorter torsos but longer limbs.

robdob
    Free Member

I cannot stand it when all you folk talk about how amazingly tall your wives or partners are. 😉

Mrs Robdob is 4’11” – now that’s a challenge finding a bike to fit.

She has an xs Specialized vita (flat bar road bike) which she loves – fits perfectly. Wow it’s a small bike but still no toe overlap.
    She also has a 12.5 GT Backwoods (1999 – they don’t make them that small now!!) which she finds too long!! 😎

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a bargain bike for a little lady.’ is closed to new replies.