Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Help me escape the south
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Sitting in an Oxford pub with my missus tonight, there’s some postdoc quantum physics guy behind me….etonian accent….repeatedly explaining to this woman he was trying to impress how he worked 90 hour weeks at MIT and how he has sacrificed money/publishing ability by pursuing an unfashionable subject area…..repeatedly……clearly boring the shit out of this bird……I was eating my fist by the end of it… only having a lowly Biology degree that I kind of drank my way through.

Oxfords full of **** isn’t it?

So which Northern town should I move to? I need moar sweary people.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Shirley Oxford has it’s wuff aweas?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah but I mean….they have shitty southern accents….at least sweary Northerners do it in an amusing accent. I think I can handle that…… Northeners are a better class of sweary….here they are either gollum impersonators or David Cameron knock offs. I could just be a deluded midlander though.

Sheffield?

pirahna
    Free Member

You need cockney sweary, move south. I mean, who the **** wants to live in a northern sh**hole.

slackalice
    Free Member

Glasgow, at the least you’ll need an interpreter 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yeah if you want fluent sweariness

Its got to be glasgow nothing else will cut it.

slowoldman

If it’s accents you’re after, you need places beginning with B.
    Bacup, Blackburn, Barnsley, Bedlington et al.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother half the places are just full of people telling each other how common they are.

Harry_the_Spider

Take your pick.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwtSdJaPCSI[/video]

MrSmith
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother half the places are just full of people telling each other how common they are.

That and moaning about the rain and stealing anything that isn’t nailed down as they are so poor.

johnny

Which pub were you in? If it’s one of the popular ones in the centre, there won’t be anyone from Oxford in them at this time of year, they’re full of summer school wannabes and American girls desperate to bag a Hugh Grant/Colin Firth-a-like…

epicyclo

mikewsmith – Member

He needs to go to Oz, doesn’t he? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nah think the whinger needs to stay put 😉

ThePinkster

Sounds like the OP needs to relocate to Sunderland to me.

That should open his eyes a bit 😉

Inbred456
    Free Member

Most people on here think the midlands is North. Where as north to me living in Durham is Ashington.

Woman from Ashington walks into local hairdresser and asks “can I have a perm please.” Hairdresser replies ” certainly I wondered lonely as a clood”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol Inbred456, guy I worked with did a stint up that way, some people asked if they were going out that night (mid week bit random) asked why, as it was explained it was norses night… cue much southern confusion till somebody explained that the norses were from the hospital and it was their payday piss up.

(from Alnwick so not much more north before Scotland)

daveh
    Free Member

Originally from Sunderland, now live half way between Barnsley and Sheffield, presently contemplating a move to Warwick. Very informative thread. 😆

Kryton57

Which pub were you in? If it’s one of the popular ones in the centre, there won’t be anyone from Oxford in them at this time of year, they’re full of summer school wannabes and American girls desperate to bag a Hugh Grant/Colin Firth-a-like…

Anyone up for a night out in Oxford 😀

Bunnyhop

Where we live, its surrounded by southerners,all escapees. Cheltenham lady at the back,London couple next to her and Suffolk family next door. All lovely people who like the quieter life.
    Cheshire is full of hooray Henry’s, that’s no good then.

Nipper99
    Free Member

South Wales Valleys?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m a born and bred Midlander (Sutton in Ashfield, Notts) who’s lived in the south for about 25 years.
    A couple of years back I was doing a job that involved training ‘sweary types’ in quarries and concrete plants on the rollout of a new computer system
    There was a very makes difference in attitudes of the trainees around the county. The West Country lads moaned a bit and struggled with the new system, the Londoners didn’t give a shit as long as it didn’t stop them working (very busy in London) the Welsh were more concerned with taking the piss out of everything, but the further north I went the bigger the chips were on their shoulders, in general. They didn’t want to do anything like work or learning or changing and were some of the most miserable arseholes I’ve ever met.

I wouldn’t move back north if you paid me……

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ut the further north I went the bigger the chips were on their shoulders, in general. They didn’t want to do anything like work or learning or changing and were some of the most miserable arseholes I’ve ever met.

Did you get to the proper north or just Yorkshire?

kayla1
    Free Member

Any **** where up here is better than any **** where down there. Apart from Cheshire, which might as well be **** Chelsea. ****. 😆

I could’ve typed all that avoiding the **** swear filter but I think I might have been **** banned…

badnewz
    Free Member

Which pub were you in? If it’s one of the popular ones in the centre, there won’t be anyone from Oxford in them at this time of year,

Not true, the postgrads are there all year round, and the overheard chappie sounds like a postgrad.

Whilst matey-boy sounds pretentious and annoying, I find people who listen into others conversations to be the rudest of all!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hull? I hear it’s got a lot going for it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I couldn’t avoid hearing him, it was obnoxiously clear over the music! 😀 I think he shouted every time he mentioned MIT.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I’m a born and bred Midlander (Sutton in Ashfield, Notts) who’s lived in the south for about 25 years.
    A couple of years back I was doing a job that involved training ‘sweary types’ in quarries and concrete plants on the rollout of a new computer system
    There was a very makes difference in attitudes of the trainees around the county. The West Country lads moaned a bit and struggled with the new system, the Londoners didn’t give a shit as long as it didn’t stop them working (very busy in London) the Welsh were more concerned with taking the piss out of everything, but the further north I went the bigger the chips were on their shoulders, in general. They didn’t want to do anything like work or learning or changing and were some of the most miserable arseholes I’ve ever met.

Good !

bearnecessities

Born in Brizzle, grew up in Devon and lived all around there, plus Bristol/FoD area in mid twenties, finally moving to West Yorks in 2008.

Much happier with the people here (and the Lancs bunch). Less whiny and more transparent than the folk I grew up knowing, and working with. Hell of a lot funnier too.

Weather’s shit out of July-Sept though and the coasts here are a joke.

Cheap houses though and the nice villages are just nice, without being some kind of twatty-twee to appeal to tourists. North Yorks is just amazing and I’d move there in a heartbeat if it wouldn’t make work a commute just too far.

Sorry what was the question?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

North Yorks is just amazing

Yeah i know. (Boroughbridge)

Just far enough south for me, I could easily move back to Durham.

mrmoofo

Sitting in an Oxford pub with my missus tonight, there’s some postdoc quantum physics guy behind me….etonian accent….repeatedly explaining to this woman he was trying to impress how he worked 90 hour weeks at MIT and how he has sacrificed money/publishing ability by pursuing an unfashionable subject area…..repeatedly……clearly boring the shit out of this bird……I was eating my fist by the end of it… only having a lowly Biology degree that I kind of drank my way through.

Oxfords full of **** isn’t it?

So which Northern town should I move to? I need moar sweary people.

You sound a bit bitter …
    Perhaps he has done all that – it is quite possible ..

Now, what have you done?

wrecker
    Free Member

Come out west, look to bedminster or knowle west. I reckon they have the highest c**t/sentence quota anywhere in the world.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What exactly is an “Etonian accent” by the way?

By way of illustrating, I know a Frenchman who’s an Old Etonian. He has a French accent when speaking English, and a slightly Toulousain twang when speaking French. Is that what you meant? Or are you just being pointlessly chippy?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oxford isn’t in the South, it’s in the Midlands.

HTH

br
    Free Member

Sheffield

South (of me) 🙂

bearnecessities

bedminster

I worked out of Bedminster for a short while – aside from getting hooked on sausage rolls made from mechanically-separated meat (I was young and stupid), I struggle to think of an equivalent hell-hole.

The thing that sticks out in my mind about that place is the day that on a lunch break (probably buying sausage rolls), I spotted a lad break away from his mother unnoticed and run straight into the road. I (heroically, natch) ran and grabbed him from in front of the braking bus (was never going to hit him but it was a scary sight) and returned him to his Mum, who was now aware of what had happened, saying something like “I think this chap is yours”.

“Get your hands of my f***ing kid”.

A bit stunned, I told the story to a lady at the office I was at there, afterwards.

“What do you want, a f***ing medal?”

I moved on shortly afterwards. Great sausage rolls though – 3 for £1 at the time.

MrOvershoot

bikebouy – Member

Oxford isn’t in the South, it’s in the Midlands.

Correct, I think they get “Midlands Today” on the news 😀

RustySpanner

Everywhere else – below me.
    🙂

vinnyeh

Although it might seem as if the OP’s plentiful chips will equip him admirably for life in the north, I reckon he’ll be too weighed down by them to make the journey.

molgrips
    Free Member

Welsh were more concerned with taking the piss out of everything

Lol, glad it’s not just me that’s noticed this 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Did you get to the proper north or just Yorkshire?

Carlisle was as far north as I got in the west, Middlesbrough in the east. The Mancs were the worst to be honest.

I find southerners a lot more tolerant in general. Further north there’s a distinct small town attitude. Don’t dare to look or act a bit different….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Help me escape the south’ is closed to new replies.