Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help me diagnose my annoying click
  • PaulBecks
    Free Member

Ok…

A new Anthem frameset with a new Sram xx chainset and all other tried and trusted parts off my old race bike.

It's superb, rides fantastically well but has developed an annoying 'click' like a cable rattling on the frame or fork when going over rough terrain. For instance, riding rough, rooty singletrack the 'click' is apparent on every hit both slow and at speed.

I've packed out all the cables, swapped my wheels over, tightened every bolt, stripped and regreased the headset, fork lock out on/off, pro pedal on/off, pedals clipped in/out and 42/28 ring and still clickity f***ing click… Arghhhh!

What the?????

TheSwede
    Free Member

Any particular area of the bike.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Carbon Creaking?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

check that the cable doesnt tap anything when the linkages etc move?

Taff
    Free Member

I've got this too and I thought it was my very long front hose hitting my shifter housing. Sorted it last week but still got the click. Hope you find it so you can advise me on another palce to look. My click has carried on from one frame build to another

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

what cables are you running PB?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Reckon the increase of creaks on here are due to the dry dust weather – have you noticed when its rained most creaks go away if only temorary 🙂

PaulBecks
    Free Member

It's difficult to pinpoint as you ride along leaning off the bike. the click is a sort of non metallic noise so not like a 'ping' on the frame.

It's on every god damn bump though!

Fork/shock issue maybe?

singlespeedstu

I'd check the fork crown/stantion joint .

Bumhands
    Free Member

Its your left knee.

singlespeedstu

Sit on the toptube, front brake on on and push/pull on the bar.

BenjiM

What about the little nuts on presta valves? If they're loose they can rattle a bit sometimes. Or maybe it's the cable end from the front mech catching on cranks / linkage or something.

PaulBecks
    Free Member

I'm running new XTR cables and standard Elixir hoses. The front hose has always been a little long but i've stayed clear of cutting it down as i've heard to many stories about brake judder afterwards.

Another way to best describe it is as a 'tap'

Taff – i so feel your pain brother…

anc
    Free Member

Has the rear mech got the rubber coat on? If not that can clunk against the chainstay. If it ain't your brake hoses I'd be looking at shock and pivots for a dodgy bush or bearing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The front hose has always been a little long but i've stayed clear of cutting it down as i've heard to many stories about brake judder afterwards.

WTF

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

my XTR cables creak constantly in the dry – maybe your click is a version of my creak!? did you have XTRs before?

wwaswas

ride along and try and hold the cables so they can't move where they go into the ferrules – work your way around everythign you can reach from the saddle. I had a click on my road bike that I found workind through the cables that way.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

It's admittedly a long shot and probably a daft question, but does it happen when you're in the saddle or standing up?

I had a really annoying click/creak for ages which I couldn't fathom… I even replaced the BB as I was convinced it was that, but without success…. eventually was sorted by thoroughly cleaning the seat tube and clamp with a bit of GT85.. I've since had the same problem, and the same solution fixed it.

PaulBecks
    Free Member

yeah i've always used XTR, never let me down so stuck with them.

Standing and seated Sprocket but i know where you're coming from.

If you're going to AYTE on Sunday and see a guy on an Anthem, take some time to ride alongside and hear the click/tap live!! 😆

Cheers everyone!!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

SPDs or flat pedals? Have also had annoying noises coming from SPD pedals and loose / worn cleats which I was convinced were the bike itself.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

I've just solved my Alpine rattling noise. It was the pads in my tech M4's jiggling around a little in the caliper, the front particularly. Try dragging the brakes on slightly when its doing it and see if it goes away.

rkk01
    Free Member

I was mis-reading the "cl" for a "d"…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help me diagnose my annoying click’ is closed to new replies.