Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help me decide which forks
  • andyb39
    Free Member

Currently building up a nukeproof mega tr and cant decide between rockshox revelations and x-fusion slants at about the same price.
    Does anyone know how the tr frame cope with a 160mm fork like the slant?

Also I cant for the life of me find any axle to crown measurements for the revelations, does anyone know what it is for the 150mm?

wwaswas

Can’t you use spacers to drop the travel on the slants?

legend
    Free Member

Does anyone know how the tr frame cope with a 160mm fork like the slant?

The TR is designed for a fork of 140-160mm travel

jimmy748

I have Slant rl2 Dla’s on my Zesty, I love them 160 or 140mm at the flick of a switch, it is one or the other though.
    At 140mm next to my 140 float 32’s they were pretty much identical axle to crown.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got 140mm revs on my covert 29 and they’re ok but noticeably flexy and a bit harsh compared to my mates fox floats on his 150mm 29er. I’ve never ridden Slants.

jairaj

If Revelation is a RL model then I’d choose X-Fusion due to the better damping. Not tried one but all the reviews say its very good.

But if the Rev has a RCT3 damper then its a close call.

I think the Slant uses 34mm chassis and is stiffer than the Rev. So if you want to run the fork at 150 or 160mm or will be riding on tough terrain and doing more than trail centre riding then maybe the Slant is the better choice.

Otherwise if the riding is not going to be hard core then go for which ever one is lightest.

X- fusion forks are internally adjustable for travel, so you should be able to adjust the Slants’ travel down from 160mm to 140mm if required.

matther01
    Free Member

Just got a set of slants yesterday but not ridden them yet. They can be set between 100-160 in increments of 10mm. As stated 34 stanchions so should be stiffer than Rev…but heavier (but not much…maybe 3 bags of walkers crisps lol). They also have more trail so slacker than most other forks I believe.

I got mine from j tech for £448 with gold stanchions, free tuning on the damper, lowered to my required length and includes postage. The non gold coated ones were £25 less…but not as pretty.

Good deal IMO…but wiggle were doing some cheap deals too on 2013 models.

oli31
    Free Member

I’m running 160mm pikes on my Mega TR and haven’t noticed any negatives. The extra stiffness of the pikes definitely suits the TR’s descending capabilities.

justatheory
    Free Member

Pikes – believe the hype!

matther01
    Free Member

Must admit my slants are going to be run at 140mm on a HT. Got pikes on my bandit at 150mm. I’d go pikes if you can…even lighter and sturdier than the slants.

acidchunks

daveh posted this on an older thread, may be of use to you

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fork-info-inside-weight-a-c-etc

kimbers

bigger stanchions the betterer pikes>slants>revs

jairaj

yes but Pikes also cost more money. If the OP can raise his budget then Pikes seem the obvious choice otherwise its Slants or Revs

andyb39
    Free Member

The pikes are tempting but i’m already stretching the budget on this one(was originally looking at sektors) so reckon it’ll be the slants then.
    Cheers for the input folks.

daveh
    Free Member

I’ve had Rev RL, Rev RCT3 and Slant. Forget RLs, they’re a bit flexy and the damping basic. The RCT3s are similarly flexy, mine started creaking within 4 months, tend to blow through their travel but are very good on small, fast repeated hits (Peak district rocks). The Slant is an all together different beast, far stiffer and more solid feeling, nice and progressive damping. The only negative (and it might just still be a bedding in thing), is that they don’t seem to hands the small, fast stuff as well as the RCT3s. Maybe Pikes do which is why people rave about them but the Slants really are good for the pennies.

matther01
    Free Member

Depending on your budget you could get a set of pikes on here for about £400 if you were patient. Batman11 was selling a black gold stanchion set of slants earlier this week which were only 5 weeks old. Not sure if he still has them but you could drop him an email? Check the wtd add for slants earlier this week.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide which forks’ is closed to new replies.