• This topic has 62 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by uwe-r.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Help me decide where to live (in Yorkshire)
  • chestrockwell

I live in Skipton and can highly recommend it. Plenty going on, loads of good riding on the door step, Leeds + Manchester within easy reach.

I would not consider Ilkley. Way over priced and has nothing going on. Having lived around the area most of my life and spent quite a lot of time working and socializing in the town when younger I have still to find out why it has the great reputation it does. Thinks it’s a mini Harrogate. Is not.

Work in Harrogate and it’s a very nice, if pricy place to live. Probably the place the most ‘London like’ around here.

Otley and Bingley are not bad shouts either.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

BTW if you do consider looking at Harrogate, I think Cold Bath Rd area is nice. Plenty of rent properties, local shops/cafes/restaurants/park, but only short walk into main town centre. Pub at bottom of road is one of the best in town for ales (or was a few years ago).

Philby

If I moved back up that way I would consider Otley, Guiseley, Menston and Horsforth if easy access to Leeds was important – of these I would probably choose Otley as there seems to be lots of community events on every time I go back to visit.

Harrogate would be a lovely place to live but I don’t know enough about mountain bike routes, though road riding would be awesome, and has lots of stuff going on as well as easy access to all that Leeds has to offer.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Lots of good suggestions. Wherever you end up I’d recommend being on the train line. That’s one problem with Otley.

Being able to go out in Leeds and then easily get the last train home is a definite advantage. The Aire valley and Wharfe valley train service is generally excellent. Anyone who suggests otherwise should try commuting into London for example.

mildred

Can’t see how you’ve overlooked South Elmsall.

Funniest thing I’ve read… Ever..!

He’s clearly seen Sth Kirkby & was spoilt.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Otley would be out for me as not on train route.

Not too sure what the OP is after. Ilkley is a wealthy retirement town. Other areas in no way will compare to London.

Saltaire would be on my list. Its got 3-4 half decent pubs, a lot of ‘young professional’ types and genuine community feel. Riding from your doorstep. Train to Leeds in 15 mins, a very good swimming pool if you can get past how grim it looks. Just don’t ever attempt to drive in to Leeds from there at rush hour

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

All reasonable advice but……you’ll be wanting North Leeds. It’s as simple as that.

Close to the city. Close to amenities. Close to culture. Reasonable riding on the doorstep. Only reasonable mind but it’s good enough. Much better riding from 30 mins to an hour away in Otley, Ilkley, Baildon, Bingley, Hebden, Todmorden, etc, etc.

Just over an hour is the Peak. Just under two is the Lakes. The list goes on.

The only thing you may struggle with, area dependent, is the size of property for that amount of money. When we were renting it cost us £850 for a 3 bed house.

darrenspink
    Free Member

OP I would suggest you come up and have a look about. Plenty of nice places with riding on your doorstep. But If your after mini London then York is your place, although obviously not exactly near Leeds. Failing that Ilkley or Skipton could be to your liking.

OrangeOrganic
    Free Member

Thanks all. A few new ideas thrown into the mix.

I think Hebden and Sowerby both sound good, but on reflection are maybe too far. We also have more family North/East of Leeds and York way.

Saltaire – lots of young professionals sounds good, but I’m still not convinced there is anything more than a couple of good pubs in the town itself to keep us interesting. And going to Shipley or Bradford frequently doesn’t appeal.

Harrogate could be a decent shout. Just about close enough, decent town in its own right although the walking and cycling is perhaps not “from the door”

Ilkley gets mixed reviews then – I am worried about it being a retirement village more than anything else.

Otley seems good too – but lack of train sounds like my regular trips to London or airport could be a challenge

Nobody mentioned Knaresborough – any reason? Too far?

We’re coming up soon to look around a bit more (not moving until after the summer). Think I’ll go and make a spreadsheet now – seems the right thing to do

martinhutch

Is it Leeds Bradford Airport you need or somewhere else? Otley is very handy for LBA, although the distance to the train station would rule it out for me. The Aire Valley is pretty well served – there is a direct early train to Kings Cross from Skipton, bizarrely.

Ilkley does have a lot of old folk, but lots of families and younger people too, and there is a theatre etc there – again though, you’d be heading to Leeds for ‘culture’.

johndoh
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned Knaresborough – any reason? Too far?

Because it is rubbish? It is no further than Harrogate (arguably easier to get to Leeds on the bypass) but it is a bit run down really. Yes it does have the beautiful view from the castle but the town centre is full of empty shops and there is nothing to do unless you go to Harrogate.

johndoh
    Free Member

although the walking and cycling is perhaps not

There is plenty to do from the door – I can easily get an (almost) legal 40 mile ride from my door that is about 70% off road. There are loads of reservoirs around Harrogate that all have walks around them.

And if you live on the Skipton side of Harrogate it is almost a clear road to the Dales (ie, you don’t have to drive through the town).

Then there’s Stainburn…

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

My GF has just got a teaching job in Sowerby, we will be relocating from Herefordshire this summer. This thread has made be genuinely quite excited for it! Sounds like there will be plenty of riding to keep us entertained. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

My GF has just got a teaching job in Sowerby, we will be relocating from Herefordshire this summer. This thread has made be genuinely quite excited for it! Sounds like there will be plenty of riding to keep us entertained.

Have a watch of Happy Valley to really get yourselves excited. 😛

Philby

If you choose Otley you could always make the short drive to Menston station for a train into Leeds.

matthewjb
    Free Member

but lack of train sounds like my regular trips to London or airport could be a challenge

There is a direct train from Shipley to Kings Cross every morning. Gets in before 9.00.

johndoh
    Free Member

And from Harrogate

satchm00
    Free Member

Denby Dale has everything you want and its only 9 miles from Langsett/cut gate.

Just saying!

Sancho
    Free Member

only guiseley has this at the end of the street

matthewjb
    Free Member

only guiseley has this at the end of the street

Only? Surely it’s closer to Baildon.

djglover
    Free Member

Went through this process 2 years ago, north leeds, guiseley, harrogate etc.

Settled on Ilkley, despite some people saying its cliquey and full of old people, I have found it great, made loads of friends through ICC and harriers and my wife has a social network via the school mums. I guess it would be a bit dull if you are pre kids, but the other benefits are direct access to moors, 2 mile from national park, direct train to leeds in 25 mins, many great sports clubs, loads of good restaurants and cafés, 4 great pubs and one crap nightclub!

Can be expensive though, lots of ex london people (me inc) here, but I’d certainly rather be here than in suburban leeds / Aire /Calder valley

tallandbearded
    Free Member

Ilkley moor has the best riding in the area if your after “XC/Enduro” (read mountain biking). Good, friendly bike shop (Ilkley cycles) with plenty of rides from the shop.
    As long as you live in the wharfe valley Ilkley is east to get to.

These are my opinions on some of the town mentioned by other posters:

Ilkley – thinks its nice but gets really touristy at the weekends.
    Guiseley – split in half (one side ok, and we call the other bit yeadon, gulp)
    Otley – slightly inbred
    Skipton – inbred with sheep
    Bingley – unambitious people carrier drivers
    Saltaire – canal folk and Fanny”s (how they fit so many people into such a small area i don’t know)
    Menston – snooze….

There is plenty of riding round here though and something for everyone.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I think you sould live specifically in this house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45160231.html

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide where to live (in Yorkshire)’ is closed to new replies.