Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me decide what to do with my Giant reign x – Dual crown or 160mm fork?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I have a reign x, which I love. The problem is I’m not loving the fork. It’s a totem coil 1 1/8 and I can feel it flexing at the crown, which is annoying.

I’d like something stiffer and possibly lighter. I can’t make my mind up between going for the full monty and sticking some dual crowns on it (which would be lowered to 180mm), or going back to some lyriks which would be lighter and make the bike more playful.

The bike gets used for local DH tracks, uplifts and a trip to the alps once a year. I’ve toyed with the idea of putting an air shock on it and turning it into an enduro beast, but I can’t make my mind up!

jam-bo

you can feel totems flexing!!! i’m impressed.

kudos100
    Free Member

Yep, only noticed it when I took the bike to the alps. The lowers are stiff as hell so I can only assume it is where the crown meets the steerer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

whats the stem & bars? that will also contribute unless you go direct mount.
    Is the head tube 1 1/8th or tapered?
    If you only felt it in the alps and you only go once a year have a look at ebay for a cheap set of triple clamps and keep them in the shed. They certainly wont suit enduro if there are any tight corners.

Have a look at the X Fusion and Suntour offerings of stiff forks the Durolux can be set as 180-160 or 160-140 and looks like it fits the bill, the Vengeance comes in at 170mm too.

kudos100
    Free Member

Stem is straightline and the bars are renthal. Head tube is 1 1/18, which I think is the problem.

I don’t know if I am kidding myself thinking I am going to pedal this beast at enduro races, even with an air shock and fork. I have a trail bike which I use for pedalling around on.

The thing is I had great fun when I had an enduro on DH tracks and wonder if I’d be better off with something a bit lighter and with less travel in the south.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

kudos100
    It’s a totem coil 1 1/8 and I can feel it flexing at the crown, which is annoying.

I’d like something stiffer and possibly lighter. I can’t make my mind up between going for the full monty and sticking some dual crowns on it (which would be lowered to 180mm), or going back to some lyriks which would be lighter and make the bike more playful.

There is nothing stiffer and lighter. For my money Totems are stiffer than boxxers, however the additional crown gives extra leverage and stability. They are vastly stiffer than any other sc fork.

Going by your post it sounds like you’ve only noticed this flexing issue in the alps…which is once a year. So hardly a big issue. Personally I’d be surprised if the totems were the problem, more likely the frame, headset or the wheel/tyres.

At any rate I’d be inclined to ditch the totems in favour of something lighter and unleash the bikes versatility.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your doing plenty of proper DH and a good DH alps trip then a DH bike wins especially if you have a trail bike for you other riding. Riding a light short bike DH and a heavy long travel trail bike on trails (IE the same bike) is a compromise. I did it….

Now I’m planning a rebuild and dropping the heckler for a Blur TR and finding a cheap DH rig for next season (only 2 races left here and heading for autumn)

kudos100
    Free Member

Hmmm could be the headset. Frame is pretty stiff and the wheels are 721’s on pro 2’s.

kudos100
    Free Member

If your doing plenty of proper DH and a good DH alps trip then a DH bike wins especially if you have a trail bike for you other riding.

Thats the thing, I don’t do lots of proper DH as I live in the South and don’t race. This year, I will probably do 3-4 uplifts and the alps trip.

The rest of the time I ride local tracks which were most fun on my enduro.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think you are answering your question there!

If you want to beef up the Giant then do it as a shed project for alps & couple of uplifts and get something more suited to your everyday riding. What is your other bike? How far from the reign or enduro is it?

kudos100
    Free Member

Other bike is a cannondale rush. 110mm travel. Perfect for the south.

The giant was originally built up as a mini dh bike, as a full on rig is too much for everything apart from the alps.

I’m leaning towards a lighter fork and an air shock…….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you keep all the bits you take off then it’s not much to return it to alps style when you go.

kudos100
    Free Member

Have to sell the fork to afford another one. The only things I would change would be the fork, chainring and cassette. Might do the shock if it start enjoying the lighter fork.

Northwind

I’ve heard people say the BOS N’dee is stiffer than a Totem… Never used them though and people do like to imagine stiffness and flex so I’d approach it with caution…

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yep, only noticed it when I took the bike to the alps. The lowers are stiff as hell so I can only assume it is where the crown meets the steerer.

Don’t listen to these guys, I had exactly the same issue.

There is nothing stiffer and lighter. For my money Totems are stiffer than boxxers, however the additional crown gives extra leverage and stability. They are vastly stiffer than any other sc fork.

HAHAH – at the wheel perhaps but not at the bars. Totems are stiff below the crown in 1 1/8 configuration but all forces through the steerer are amplified by the increased length of of a 180mm fork when compared to a 160mm design. Dual crowns flex way less laterally and integrated stems are a whole different level in steering/twisting stiffness compared to conventional stems.

air shock…….

Unless you plan to keep the coil or plan on getting a DB air, don’t bother because they are gash for downhilling. You already have a 110mm trail bike – I’d personally being looking at slowly building up a full 200mm race rig – light dh bikes are over rated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide what to do with my Giant reign x – Dual crown or 160mm fork?’ is closed to new replies.