Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • Help me decide to buy a Mac, Lifelong PC user what do I need to know !!!!!!!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The full res original files too (*knowing look in the direction of windowsphone*)

I think it’s an option – I can choose to upload ‘best quality’.

The acid test is how many Mac converts ever think it was a bad idea and go back to Windows.

Don’t think so, because that excludes all the people for whom Apple is either completely unattractive or does not do what they want. The latter is a pretty big group and software/hardware availability is a huge platform differentiator, possibly the biggest.

IA

I think it’s an option – I can choose to upload ‘best quality’.

Ah ok, this still didn’t do the originals when I last tested it – but that was a while ago now, I had a 920 to test for a month or so when it was released.

Interesting that I can maybe do it via google drive. Would still not be quite the same though, they wouldn’t appear in my photo management app (would be lightroom on windows) automatically or in the photos on my phone. I could go to google drive on my phone, but I’d need a net connection at the time I wanted to browse them. So still as I said, nearly there, but not as tight.

The acid test is how many Mac converts ever think it was a bad idea and go back to Windows. Anyone here done this out of choice? Most PC fanboys I know have never even used a Mac and so are not in any position to compare them. I reckon most (not all obviously) people who regularly use both systems prefer both the Mac OS and hardware. I certainly do.

This is why I find my situation interesting, but the friction to switching back is huge – maybe higher than it was to switch to mac in the first place.

I prefer mac hardware /in general/ but I’m privileged to use equivalently high quality PC hardware – you pay the money, the HW quality is there too. I could hammer nails with my work laptop. Not as pretty as a mac, but way more powerful than any mac I could buy, and as it’s a work machine that matters more.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Would still not be quite the same though, they wouldn’t appear in my photo management app (would be lightroom on windows) automatically or in the photos on my phone. I could go to google drive on my phone, but I’d need a net connection at the time I wanted to browse them. So still as I said, nearly there, but not as tight.

Point your photo management tool to scan the Google Drive folder on start up/open etc. and you can let Google Drive download your photo’s to your phone so they are available offline, personally I don’t bother as the times at which I want a random photo on my phone while offline hasn’t actually come up yet, in fact my phone stays rather empty these days with just apps and recent images on it, everything else is gettable. Sometimes it’s as if people don’t want to believe that what they have isn’t unique.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Don’t think so, because that excludes all the people for whom Apple is either completely unattractive or does not do what they want. The latter is a pretty big group and software/hardware availability is a huge platform differentiator, possibly the biggest.

I think you need to read what I said again. I was talking about people who HAVE switched to Mac. How many go back to PC because they preferred it? There are lots of reasons why you might not switch in the first place e.g. cost, specific software compatibility, irrational dislike of Apple, reluctance to change, happy with status quo etc, etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting that I can maybe do it via google drive. Would still not be quite the same though, they wouldn’t appear in my photo management app

As Mike says – you can get Google drive to synchronise with a real folder on your PC. LR may not pick this stuff up directly though, but it should only be a click away.

This is actually a good idea – I may do this to get my phone photos integrated with my PS Elements Organiser.

I was talking about people who HAVE switched to Mac. How many go back to PC because they preferred it?

Yes but you said it was ‘the acid test’ i.e. the definitive test for which is better. Just saying that’s not the case, even though it’s a worthwhile question.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Point your photo management tool to scan the Google Drive folder on start up/open etc. and you can let Google Drive download your photo’s to your phone so they are available offline

But on the Mac you don’t have to do anything at all. That’s what I like about it.

molgrips
    Free Member

But on the Mac you don’t have to do anything at all. That’s what I like about it.

Downside is you have to do it Apple’s way and you have no choice in the matter. This is what I don’t like about Apple, and it’s also what some people do like about it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tell me again why thats a good thing?
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/nude-celebrity-photos-leaked

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

The acid test is how many Mac converts ever think it was a bad idea and go back to Windows. Anyone here done this out of choice? Most PC fanboys I know have never even used a Mac and so are not in any position to compare them. I reckon most (not all obviously) people who regularly use both systems prefer both the Mac OS and hardware. I certainly do.

I spend far more time on my Windows machines than I do on my Macs (yes, plural for both, its like n+1 for bikes)

Main reasons are:

1. Hyper-V on Windows 8.1 is much better than any virtualisation software available on OSX
    2. Windows does gaming so much better than OSX. Nvidia’s drivers for OSX are pants, OSX is a PITA to configure games controllers properly with (flight sim, driving sim, and even an xbox controller), any games that do get ported to OSX rarely run as well as their Windows counterparts.
    3. I work with Visual Studio, SQL Server and Powershell, if OSX is on my main machine I need a solid hyper visor – see point 1.

I don’t really care for the prettiness, IMHO opinion there isn’t much in it. OSX certainly hides things away from an end user a little better, but thats not something that matters to me 😀

IA

People suggesting setting up auto-importing etc. I have done that before – I could link you to my previous blog posts detailing the setup process* and how to make it work. So you’re speculating about what might be a solution to my problems, but I have tried what you’re suggesting and whilst it does work, it’s not as slick. It’d probably be what I do though, as the other option appears to be switch wholesale to manage my photos in a different way – not necessarily unreasonable. After all, I accept I’d need to switch away from using Aperture to use Lightroom.

The nude photo leaks, the same attacks could work on photos synced by any method, it wasn’t an Apple specific attack.

This is actually a good idea – I may do this to get my phone photos integrated with my PS Elements Organiser.

I’d be interested to know how you get on with this if you do give it a go.

*the fact that I found myself wanting to document the process is probably a clue it’s not as slick…

Jamie
    Free Member

*clambers over piles of fallen soldiers*

Do we have a winner yet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://photoshopelementstips.blogspot.com.au/
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-watch-folders-in-the-photoshop-elements.html
    Watched folders not cover it in Elements organiser?

The nude photo leaks, the same attacks could work on photos synced by any method, it wasn’t an Apple specific attack.

No but automatically uploading everything by default probably did lead to a lot of people uploading a lot more than they both wanted to and possibly thought they had done. It’s one of the problems when you start removing options and decisions and telling people thats how it works. A few mates have commented that they have had a suprises at home after being texted a pic from someone…

moshimonster
    Free Member

tell me again why thats a good thing?

Allows me to get on with life (or writing pointless crap on forums).

IA

*clambers over piles of fallen soldiers*

Do we have a winner yet?

I’m not even sure which side I’m on!

molgrips
    Free Member

Watched folders not cover it in Elements organiser?

Not tried that, will have a go.

How did these work? Files were public, or just too-simple passwords?

With Google it’s all private by default I think.

IA

How did these work? Files were public, or just too-simple passwords?

Mostly people learning enough about the target to social engineer the password reset process and answer the “secret” questions.

With Google it’s all private google can look at it with machines to sell you things by default I think

😉

Private by default on Apple too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Private by default on Apple too.

The default upload may be more of the issue, if it’s online then expect it to be hackable.

IA

Tricky one for companies though. The flip side of the “online by default” is when a customer is in tears cos they broke their phone and it’s the only place photos of their child are stored you can give them a new one and they’re all restored by magic (because normal people don’t backup).

So by some measure, it probably helps more people than it hurts, it’s a trade off someone somewhere has to make. It’ll always be wrong for some people though.

molgrips
    Free Member

With Google it’s all private google can look at it with machines to sell you things advertise things to you that you might actually want instead of random crap by default I think

MrSmith
    Free Member

Do people still plug storage in? For me it’s all networked really, I guess if your hard drive is glued in and you can’t upgrade it you might need one.

Why wouldn’t they? Not everyone’s storage needs are the same.
    I use 2 thunderbolt (2-4 HD’s in each) drives one raided for fast in/out of video (native not proxies) and another as a mirrored back-up that backs up every 15min whatever I tell chronosync the current shoot is. I need to move 10-100gb around at a time and often so don’t want to wait for that or have the machine slow down while it’s doing it.
    And as for upgrading, no current drive is big enough for my needs so being able to change the drive (or not) is a moot point.

Main machine is only 500gb but I only ever keep the current shoots on it that I’m working on then they get removed, most people just keep filling their machine up to the brim then wonder why it slows down.

Cougar

most people just keep filling their machine up to the brim then wonder why it slows down.

Why would that be? Are 1’s heavier than 0’s, then?

IA

Why would that be?

Hard to say if this is a serious question, or if you’re testing MrSmith….

I do know the answer though, how many points do I get? ;-P

Cougar

Well,

If by ‘full to the brim’ we’re talking about applications with services and components which run all the time taking up RAM then yes, that can have a performance impact.

But so long as there’s sufficient space free for the OS to have a bit of elbow room to do its thing, a computer full of data is just as fast as one that isn’t (for practical purposes anyway, so long as we’re not splitting hairs over things like seek time), the idea that you can somehow delete your music collection to speed up your machine is a myth.

If space on your system drive is critically low or non-existent however, that can give you a really bad day.

IA > are you thinking of something I’ve missed?

IA

Well, the definition of “sufficient space” here is key.

On a spinning platter (where are we? A time machine to 10 years ago? 😉 ) the seek time and transfer rate suffers, not just because of where you are on the disk but also inevitable fragmentation. There are benchmarks somewhere (i forget, it was years ago) that I was looking at when I last bought a spinning disk laptop, showing that basically for a given data volume a larger 5400rpm disk was faster than a 7200rpm disk. Though of course there are platter density issues at play there too….

On an SSD it depends on the controller, but writes often get a lot slower and trimming time can increase. In particular you can suffer annoying jitter in access time which can be infuriating*.

I’ll concede it probably doesn’t make a noticeable difference to the sort of person likely to let their drive over fill though.

*I know modern controllers in theory solve these problems with various tricks, but in practice they don’t. Makes a noticeable difference to my work, which is I’ll admit niche (robotics/AI R&D), but still.

MrSmith
    Free Member

IA > are you thinking of something I’ve missed?

Scratch disk space if you don’t have a separate one.

Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide to buy a Mac, Lifelong PC user what do I need to know !!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.