Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help me decide please…
  • lovewookie

Firstly lets set out the ground rules.

1. I only have space for 2 bikes

2. I have little cash.

3. The wife says I need at least 2 bikes or I’m grumpy if one breaks and I can’t ride.

OK, now that’s out the way I shall continue…

I have two bikes at the mo, my ‘good’ bike, a trek 9.8 hardtail, reba’s and XTR/XT mix. Nice bike, like riding it, and a ‘hack’ On One Scandal 29er. rigid, geared with a mix of deore, raceface and erm, 105…(plus whatever I could find in the shed)

Bought the scandal about 4-5 months ago, intended as an early morning ride-then-stick-in-the-shed-to-clean-later bike. trouble is, since getting it, I’ve used the trek once.

I’m toying with the idea of upgrading the scandal a little, with some bits from the trek, then splitting and selling off the trek, then buying a cheap (something like the B’Twin) road bike for occasional roady rides and getting me back and forth the 1 mile trip to work (currently using the very mucky scandal!)

So, Am I nuts? Should I just leave be, or is it worth trying to grab a change.

Advantages I can see include:

1. I like riding the 29er (I’ll put some sus forks on it)
    2. a roady will mean I’m a little cleaner when I turn up to work (with appropriate mudguards natch..)
    3. I’ll not have one bike sat in the shed doing nothing.
    4. I may smile more (unlikely though)

Disadvantages:

1. I may not be able to run a negative or equal balance on the swap over..(that’s quite important for wife’s approval)
    2. I’ll only have a road bike if the scandal has a mechanical..

help

Junkyard
    Free Member

not sure you need a road bike for a 1 mile ride you could do that on anything

Get what you will use most often and need most in this scenario a road bike is unlikely to be the answer

Get a cross bike and a FS MTB would be my solution if i only had two bike tbh.

theotherjonv

The wife says I need [u]at least[/i][/u] 2 bikes or I’m grumpy if one breaks and I can’t ride

Somewhere between the two…..There’s your answer

Upgrade the Scandal with the pick of the bits from the Trek, if a 29er is your favourite now. Keep the Trek as a mudplugger, maybe even convert it to a SS. And get a cheap road or CX bike anyway. You can find space somewhere.

lovewookie

You can find space somewhere.

hmmm, nope that’s not going to work..

CX bike would fit nicely alongside the 29er.

When I say the roady will be used to get to work, it would also be used if I fancy a road ride. I don’t do road rides much now as I don’t like riding knobbly tyred bikes on the roads 🙂

so, I guess next is recommend me a cheap as chips CX bike or roady, budget will be no more than £350 (hence the B’Twin mentioned..)

theotherjonv

CX season will be over in a couple of months, pick up a second hand bargain. keep your powder dry until then.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide please…’ is closed to new replies.