Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Help me decide between these two forks – Revs or Sektor
  • hora
    Free Member

Rockshox Sektor R SoloAir Forks 20QR £224.00

2012 Rockshox Revelation RL Forks 15QR £284 (including 15mm adaptor)

I need 20QR TBH. Plus I have a fair-sized front rotor and don’t want to get rid if I can help it.

The thing is the forks are VERY different- one basic, one better.

Loco can do the dual flow rebound assembly cart as an aftermarket mod for 70 which basically brings it upto the same price/performance but with a 20mm axle.

What do you think?

wwaswas

I think you’re too obsessed with a 20mm axle being required.

binners

I think you’re too obsessed with a 20mm axle being required. finding some kind of perfect set up, which doesn’t actually exist. To counteract the emptiness you feel inside

Whatever you go for, it’ll be deemed, after a week, to be rubbish. And its back onto the endless roundabout yet again

Have you considered counseling? Its got to be cheaper than this endless procession of ‘stuff’

wwaswas

Radical suggestion: see if you can ride whatever setup you want *before* you buy it? There must be people on here with most fork/axle/wheel combo’s who’d be happy to help put you out of your misery you arrive at a good solution.

hora
    Free Member

Binners I have broken forks sat under my desk. I only own ONE bike. What should I do? Manual everywhere? 😐

If I had money there wouldn’t be a discussion I’d just buy top end forks. no money though- I didn’t plan or budget for needing forks at the moment.

Feel free to sell me those Lyrik’s though.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

They are both fine forks for the £.

IHN

I need 20QR TBH. Plus I have a fair-sized front rotor and don’t want to get rid if I can help it.

I think you’re too obsessed with a 20mm axle being required

I’d agree. I’ve had a 203mm rotor on a normal QR set of Revs for years and I ain’t dead yet.

Duane…
    Free Member

What’s wrong with 15mm (apart from being another annoying standard)? From a riding point of view (considering I’m assuming the bike will be used for XC/mincing)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Deja vu

binners

IHN. I thought it was just me who indulged in the madness of a 203 rotor on a QR wheel and fork. I’d put my fluky continued existence down to luck and prayer 😉

hora
    Free Member

203 rotor on QR forks. Are you serious?

mactheknife

Hora you dont need 20mm, i was thinking the same a while back as i run coil lyriks and could not see past their stiffness etc. Then i got a pair of Magura Thor’s that have 15mm maxle and all my previous ideas went out the window. Super stiff, light, easy tunable. So far they are everything i want in a set of forks. And at £300 from Germany i’m chuckling so far.

It might prove costly if there are any reliability issues but time will tell on that front.

binners

It might prove costly if there are any reliability issues but time will tell on that front.

Are you aware of Hora’s track record with forks? Every pair he’s owned have had ‘reliability issues’ within hours of him taking delivery of them 😆

tomaso
    Free Member

I’m 15 stone got 203mm rotor on Revs with 15mm maxle – will I die?

Sektors are essentially older Revs. New Revs are slightly lighter and come with better damping as standard. I don’t think the 2013 Sektors will have the option of a 20mm Maxle.

Jamie
    Free Member

Coil Sektors. Then you won’t need to piss about with them.

…incidentally, I have had some in a 20mm flavour, and they were excellent.

sprocker
    Free Member

In the last year I have used

Lyrics, 36’s, revs 15mm & 20mm, marzocchi 15mm and reba 15mm (current) The only real difference I could tell between is really the 35/36mm legs on the bigger forks making them stiffer. Made no real difference to me on the revs and I found the reba ‘s the stiffest of all the 32 legs(less travel I suppose) all except reba had 203mm rotor on.

kayak23

Do they not do a 17.5mm axle yet?
    I’d go for that. Perfect blend of weight and strength..

IHN

203 rotor on QR forks. Are you serious?

Indeed I am. They’ve been like that for about four years (if not five), including a trip to the Alps, without a hint of a problem. And, believe me, I brake a LOT 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Do they not do a 17.5mm axle yet?

Pffft! 18.3mm is the future.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Buy the sektors, get the Loco work done and when you fall out with them I would be interested at the right price. 🙂

IHN

Pffft! 18.3mm is the future.

It was last year, Grandad. 18.4 is where it’s at now.

Jamie
    Free Member

It was last year, Grandad. 18.4 is where it’s at now.

I remember when this was all 9mm QRs.

I feel old 🙁

IHN

I remember when this was all 9mm QRs

For some of us it still is 🙂

stupidget
    Free Member

I got a pair of 150mm Sektors with 20mm axle and they are excellent. Upgraded from a pair of Reba’s and the Sektors feel far more solid.

I can’t adjust the travel on mine (unless I add/remove spacers), but, they feel great.

freeridenick
    Free Member

coil sektors DPC, , dual flow, drop to 140-110

this is what you want…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=85087
    LOCO will sort you out with the shorter spring/dual flow

i think they run stiffer at 140 IMO.

i got 20mm version of this, not sure if 15mm you would notice, but never tried.

they are like a mini lyrik and super plush…

hora
    Free Member

Or I could just micro-cart my 55’s for £180. Hmmm.

flange
    Free Member

What should I do? Manual everywhere?

Can you manual then hora?

cb

Wotans?

RustyMac

hora,

just came across these on ebay, it may solve your problem with wanting 20mm lowers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rockshox-Sektor-Lower-Legs-/321061929865?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4ac0c84389&_uhb=1

oliverd1981
    Free Member

140mm, 20mm maxle, old school, but vgc Rev dual airs in white any good to you?

takisawa2

Best fork I ever had was a 454 Coil Pike. Truly great fork.
    Guessing the Sektor is the equivalent these days.
    Can LoCo / TFT swap convert them to coil ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Can LoCo / TFT swap convert them to coil ?

Why convert when you can buy them in a coil flavour off the shelf?

jairaj

Where do you want the stiffness in the fork?

If you want torsional stiffness then go for the 20mm option.

If you want fore and aft stiffness go for tapered steerer. The axle won’t effect this so will be fine with even a normal QR.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I like my coil Sektor fitted with stiffer spring. I’d just get that and go riding rather than fuss over over stuff.

hora
    Free Member

Still haven’t got any. Can’t face buying 15QR forks and Solo R forks don’t do it for me.

messiah
    Free Member

jairaj Where do you want the stiffness in the fork?

If you want torsional stiffness then go for the 20mm option.

If you want fore and aft stiffness go for tapered steerer. The axle won’t effect this so will be fine with even a normal QR.

I’m going to test this theory soon. I had some 1-1/8″ 20mm Rev’s but I found them a bit flexy/twangy. I’ve just bought some with a 1.5″ steerer to see if that’s any different… wish me luck!

Hora… you can’t ride a bike without forks so just buy something and enjoy the honeymoon new-kit-period before worrying about innevitable upgradeitus. If the Sektor R 20mm really is the same as the old Pike then they are great forks… the dual-flow/push updrades and all that only came later when people realised the limitations of the damping… but the old Pike still has an almost cult like following despite the often discussed limitations.

Sektor R 20mm FTW… get it bought and get it ridden 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

Sektor R 20mm FTW… get it bought and get it ridden

You’re in the market for some almost new Sektor Rs, aren’t you messiah? And you’re hoping to buy them after Hora does 3 or 4 rides on them… 😉

cyclewerx

Hora are you saying all this tongue in cheek ‘you can’t bring yourself to buying 15mm axle’.
    At the risk of making myself sound ridiculously sure about myself…I have Revs with 15mm and ride some very gnarly stuff, large drops, jumps, fast descents etc and they’re great forks. I’ll challenge you to a ride on some proper terrain and see if they spontaneously combust or the arse falls out of your world!
    Seriously, don’t get too hung up on what the media put on a plate in front of you. Just buy some forks (either you mentioned are good), fit on bike, get out and ride and HAVE FUN.

hora
    Free Member

Sorted. Sektor RL dual coil 20mm 8)

iain1775
    Free Member

I remember when this was all 9mm QRs

I remember when it was all solid nutted axles, and no discs, just cantilever brakes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide between these two forks – Revs or Sektor’ is closed to new replies.