Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Help me decide between SRAM Red or Dura Ace 10 speed
  • mashiehood
    Free Member

Folks,

I am tempted to go for SRAM Red 2012 due to its low weight and great reviews, but before i push the button your experience of both SRAM Red and Dura Ace would be appreciated.

The bike im building is a Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod, will be my climbing machine.

Thanks in advance.

xcneil
    Free Member

Sram red first time every time, end of thread

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Red, see above.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

shimano it works and easier to adjust set up…(15 yrs in the trade) nicer to use etc , end of thread !

druidh
    Free Member

SRAM? Not with a bargepole.

v10
    Free Member

I’ve got red2012 and it’s a huge improvement over red/red black. Yaw mech works a treat – much better shifting than previous one. System is much quieter too.

Mind you same can be said for DA. The 10spd mechanical shifter feels horrible in use (IMO) but the new 11spd mechanical feels fantastic in use.

You will always get massively polarising opinions asking this, best is to try both and see which you prefer… I really like campag too 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’d spoil that frame if you added that weighty Shimano system to it.

Being a pauper, I only have Force kit, but can’t fault it over the other Campy and Shimano kit I’ve used. The shifters in particular are excellent. I can only assume Red is even better. Sorry if this is not that helpful. Mac

aP
    Free Member

Record 11 is so much better.

sweaman2
    Free Member

nI just don’t like the SRAM action as much. Personal choice…..

jimc101
    Free Member

What about being current with 11 speed Dura Ace, unless looking at Di2, Shimano 10 speed is obsolete at the high end you are looking at.

edsbike
    Free Member

I don’t rate my 10spd Dura Ace brifters. Lumpy hoods and much worse action than the old Ultegra that I had before. 2011 Red was pretty clunky and noisy, but some people like that. I’ve not tried the 2012 Red but I’ve heard it’s much improved.

Stick to Shimano cassettes though, SRAM can’t seem to keep theirs quiet, even with the new plastic inserts.

Waderider
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put Campag or SRAM on my hacker. Campag wont index as well as Shimano, SRAM Red has silly problems such as the cage on the front mech being so lightly built it flexs rather than shift the chain.

piemonster

Red

Still don’t understand people who struggle with SRAM, tbh I’ve only got Force but it’s doing 1000’s of miles every year for 3 years.

Never had a problem with either performance or reliability. A fiend of mine struggled with it, but he just hadn’t set it up correctly.

Note: I do use a Shimano cassette, just seem to work better

slinkybike
    Free Member

What type of groupset have you used before I like the feel of sram both mtb and road, but I also like the clunky positive feel of campag the last shimano groupset I liked was 9 spd dura ace and that had simlair feel it also looked hot. Noise wise old sram red and new sram red have never bothered me as it has always been normal chain on cass noise. Finally Sram is a little harder to set up mechanics don’t get the rear mech cable length right it needs to be a little longer to get the cable run smooth, they don’t set the b- tension correctly and they don’t get the chain length right (it should be on the shorter side). As you can probably tell I like sram if it’s set up correctly the shifting quickly becomes intuitive and fast.

mashiehood
    Free Member

thanks folks. I will go with SRAM Red, cheaper, lighter and the majority vote. Bike discount and Wiggle seem to be the cheapest for the 2012 kit.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I really really like my SRAM RED groupset (on a 2011 Supersix Himod). It’s got about 3500 miles on it & all I’ve had to do is adjust for cable tension. Once. Incredible stuff.

stever
    Free Member

Which lever action do you prefer? I still occasionally mis-shift on SRAM (Red) which I don’t do on Shimano (105). Buy the function, not the brand.

ojom
    Free Member

It appears SRAM shifters get very rattly after about 3 years of use, the wee bushes for the pivot wear and they clatter like nothing on earth.

No problem with Shimano ones.

phil.w
    Free Member

Buy the function, not the brand.

Not a truer word spoken!

Personally I like double tap and the ergonomics of SRAM, I could live with Shimano and would never want Campy.

tlr

11,000 km on old red for me with no problems. And I love the rifle shot down shifts. The Shimano on my other bike works well but feels imprecise.

It’ll be new red for my R5.

Fudges had good prices last time I looked.

tlr

11,000 km on old red for me with no problems. And I love the rifle shot down shifts. The Shimano on my other bike works well but feels imprecise.

It’ll be new red for my R5.

Fudges had good prices last time I looked.

mashiehood
    Free Member

A quick report on SRAM Red 2012 – one word – SUPERB. The shifting on the front YAW mech is amazing.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

SRAM, as used by Andy Schleck. And recommended by Alberto Contador 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KbR5fyhRsU[/video]

ransos
    Free Member

Being a pauper, I only have Force kit, but can’t fault it

You will when the shifters break…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the Dura Ace 11 speed for my R5, the 7900 was a bit of a fail in terms of performance but the 9000 is streets ahead of anything else on the market.

If anyone knows where I can get a group with 175mm crank arms and 53/39, please let me know… 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide between SRAM Red or Dura Ace 10 speed’ is closed to new replies.