Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Help me decide before I press the 'buy' button…
  • Tiger6791

Building up a new bike…

Will be getting it from On-One, now the question is.

Scandal with 100mm RockShox Recon TK Coil forks

or an

Inbred with either Carbon rigid forks or the Recons as per the Scandal.

Will be used as an XC sort of bike, Swinley, Trail Centres and long days out in the wilds of Wales.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I dunno.

On another subject, should I buy ready salted or salt and vinegar crisps today?

flatfish
    Free Member

Is it the 26 or 29 version?

Tiger6791

flatfish
    Free Member

neither then. 😯
    29’s are MAN’s bikes, FACT.

Stoner
    Free Member

Carbon rigid on the scandal.

Save up for some bling sus forks for a later date.

EDIT: And 29er, natch

EDIT2: Is it just me/my computer or is the on-one site rendering very funny at the moment?

flatfish
    Free Member

i looked at it last week and it didn’t look too healthy then either.

MisterT

whatever you do just don’t buy Rockshocks… have to be serviced every 20hrs riding…. that’s every week!!!!! – if you don’t then the warrantee is void.

buy proper forks – Magura, Bombers, Maverick etc… i.e. ones that need servicing once a year.

Stoner
    Free Member

pffft.

Its actually 50 hours for oil bath changes/air spring lube and 100 hours damping oil changes.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/07_RockShox_SPC_C_Technical_Information.pdf

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

whatever you do just don’t buy Rockshocks… have to be serviced every 20hrs riding…. that’s every week!!!!! – if you don’t then the warrantee is void

Err no.

That’s FOX you’re thinking of. 🙂

IanB
    Free Member

what flatfish said in his second post 😉

On-one site looks quite borked to me too.

Tiger6791

Got Rock Shox and have abused them without servicing and they are fine.

29’er I’m 5ft 11 so not tall enough. And would have to buy more stuff, wheels, tyres, etc.

Was thinking Scandal and rigid may be too ‘rigid’ but Inbred being steel might be better or is this a fallacy?

Stoner
    Free Member

fallacy – I always found my scandal to be a more compliant ride than my inbred – BUT it wasnt a direct comparison as that was 26″ inbred to 29″ scandal.

MisterT

Stoner et’al – RS manual states: Change Speed Lube oil bath every 25hrs… and even if they now allow 50hrs for the oil bath changes/air spring lube that’s still at least every month if not every 3 weeks….

all the RS forks in our team died after 6months use. these guys clean and lube their bikes after every ride.. but RS need much more… far to migh maintenance unless you have a mechanic to mand, or loads of time to spare fettling.

Tiger6791

So here the stuff…

On-One Bob-On Grip / OnOff £4.99
    RockShox Recon Silver TK Coil 100mm Fork With Lockout £99.99
    On-One Scandal 26er Vertical Dropout Frame £134.99
    FSA Orbit X Headset £14.99
    Ritchey Streem Saddle £12.99
    FSA SL 250 SBS Alloy Seatpost £24.99
    Pair Of Schwalbe Rocket Ron Performance Folding Tyres £34.99
    Pair of Avid BB7s £60.00

Subtotal £387.93

Already got lying around (Cranks, XT F&R Mechs, SLX shifters, Wheels)

So for £390 I get a new bike.

I could swap the frame or the forks for very little cost difference. To go 29 would be a massive price hike

flatfish
    Free Member

5’11” isn’t too small for a 29er, i’m looking at the 16″ frame for the wife who’s 5’5″.
    She rode my 19″ at last years HONC and reckoned it wasn’t massively big.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Right then … As you know Tiger, I’m 5′ Dwarf and do alright on 29ers as long as they’re the right size … but we’ve decided 26″ so I’ll say no more on that subject.

I’d go carbon rigid forks, the weight saving over cheap sus’ forks is well worth it, you won’t miss the suspension after a while, IanB and myself were both rigid on the S&M bivvy. Also where are you getting mtb BB7s for £60 a pair?

I reckon it’ll be just the ticket 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Two points.

1. My recons are over 4 years old and have never been serviced. They are now on their 5th build on my wifes bike. They still feel good but could do with a service now.

2. For that sort of riding I would go for a Scandal 29er with the recons and then update the damping from turnkey to something better.

curlie467
    Free Member

I have just built a scandal 26er, got the frame at the cheaper price.
    It looks great, isn`t as light as i thought it might be but i dont have excess cash to throw at things so my wheels may be a bit heavy and chainset maybe but even so, as a fully geared suspension forked bike it will struggle to get under 11kg.
    I will probably sell it because i really should have built a long travel hardtail, go for the long travel inbred and dont worry about the weight too much.

geoffj

Stoner et’al – RS manual states: Change Speed Lube oil bath every 25hrs… and even if they now allow 50hrs for the oil bath changes/air spring lube that’s still at least every month if not every 3 weeks….

50 hrs a month 😯

Tiger6791
    Tiger6791
    IanB
    Free Member

29’er I’m 5ft 11 so not tall enough

I’m 5’10″…

I can sort you out with some 29er tyres for free. Pick up some wheels second hand.
    Forks – with a 29er wheel, the On-one carbons are lovely, IMO. For long rides in mid Wales, I’d say a 29er wheel is a must if you go rigid.
    Brakes – BB7’s over here – luv ’em.

Tiger6791

Only flipping doing this as my current hardtail frame, Kenesis Maxlight XC120, is a bit big for me and I don’t want to get a framebag made for a frame I’m not 100% happy with.

🙂

My Current thinking is Scandal with the bouncy Rochshox forks. £390 for brand new bike can’t be bad?

29er with rigid forks for another time when I’ve got more money.

curlie467
    Free Member

How big is your kinesis frame and how big a scandal frame are you after?

Tiger6791

Kenesis is a 19.5in

After a 18in Scandal

CHB

Those 26″ Scandals are fantastic value. Definately get that instead of an Inbred/456.
    I nearly bought a 16″ one for my son as a “grow into it” frame to replace his 14″ white inbred.

IanB
    Free Member

I don’t want to get a framebag made for a frame I’m not 100% happy with

Fair enough. The frame bag is going to be for a Scandal then?

Tiger6791

Think so (18in) one

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Tiger you might find you’d do ok with a 16″ … On Ones do have a very long TT. Before hitting the buy button I’d compare TT length with your present frame.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

50hrs a month!

OK, if your doing that your fit, so lets say 12mph is an easy off road average, 50*12 = 600miles. Including cake/energy gel stops, a few punctures and occasional chatting thats 2 hours a day, every day, 360 days a year!

p.s. Just because magra dont recomend services att he same intervals doesnt mean they shouldn’t be shown some love! I probably do mine every 50-100hours, only takes an hour tops to pop the lowers off, clean them out, soak foam rings, fill seals with R&R super slick, pop back together, add 15ml to each leg, re-assemble, pop top caps off, drain damper, refill damper, add 23ml to air piston (2007 forks need a bit more progression than standard IME), re-fit top caps, pump up with air.

Ohh and after this weekend I can recomend SS for Swinely, so go for soemthing with a firm motion controll/SPV/terralogic style damper, I’ve some old minute 100mm forks which are ace at this, despite beign shit in general at eveything else.

Tiger6791

Bought!!!!

18in Scandal with Recons 🙂

Now gonna have to have a mass clearout to pay for it all

So if anybody wants:

19.5 Kenesis Maxlight XC120 in black
    54cm Dave Hinde road frame & forks
    Campag Shamals with Tubs
    Various Campag 9spd bits
    Marin Bear Valley frame (very old)
    Marin Shoreline Trail Frame (old fuss suss job)
    RockShox Judys
    etc, etc

Keep an eye on the classifieds

curlie467
    Free Member

Price on the Hinde frame and which model is it?

curlie467
    Free Member

Did my first proper ride on the scandal, it rides very well so ia m sure you will be pleased with it!
    Good luck with the build.

Tiger6791

Not sure which model it is, it’s getting on a bit, not had much use though. Just a fairly generic frame.

I’ll stick it in the classifieds to be correct and all that.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide before I press the 'buy' button…’ is closed to new replies.