Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me decide
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Before I got the buy button.
    Giant Trance 27.5 2 2016 £1499
    Giant Anthem 27.5 2 2016 £1249
    My previous bike was a Giant Stance. Currently my main riding is Canal paths, woodland trails, Darwen tower which is quite fast and smooth and the Odd trip to Gisburn, and I enjoy Hope Line a lot, I don’t jump but I quite enjoy going fast on it.
    All my mates have 140mm + trail bikes, but I’m not as heavy as them.
    Really do like the Anthem but will 100mm f&r be enough.

davros

Tough choice, i guess you’d have to weigh up whether you’d regret the extra weight of the trance when you may only benefit from it when riding Gisburn. Sounds like you’d be fine with the anthem but if you really fancy the trance you might regret not going for it! Do you use all the travel on your stance?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Nearly all of the travel on my Stance when I did a jump at the Top of hope Line. But the majority of the time no. Ill be honest I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to rocky technical descents. I’m much happier on smooth, flowing downhills.

kraken2345
    Free Member

Sounds like the anthem might be more suitable for 90% of what you do, it’d be an easier decision if all your mates had similar bikes but that shouldn’t stop you from going with what you like the most

jambalaya
    Free Member

What @kraken says. Anthem best for the 90% and Trance for the 10%, depends where you want to make the compromise. When I had a similar choice I went for Reign over Trance and dragged a “big” bike round xc + trail rides most of the year but had a good time in the Alps on it 1-2 weeks a year. A bit daft really but that was my choice.

EDIT: after more thought I think I’d go Trance with some thinner xc tyres for most of the riding and some chubbier grippier tyres for the 10% “trail centre” stuff

Beagleboy

Just to confuse you a bit more, a good friend of mine recently bought a Giant Trance 2. The fork failed on its first ride around a trail centre (Comrie Croft), and after sheenanigans from the bike shop, (the usual “it’ll be 2-3 days to repair” turning into “don’t call us we’ll call you when it’s eventually done”), he gave up, demanded his money back. He then ordered a Canyon Spectral (I think) in it’s place and is completely smitten by it. His verdict is that the Canyon is light years ahead of the Giant in fit, feel and confidence.

Might be worth having a look?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

There is a Anthem sx which has 120mm same as my Stance.
    However it’s a large also like my Stance. But according to the size chart I should be on a medium.
    I’m 5ft 10. Had medium Hardtail in the past it hurt my knees, the large didn’t.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Test ride. Then decide.

kraken2345
    Free Member

Just something worth a mention is how loads of people are now realising how you don’t need a full on enduro gnar machine for most uk riding, newer short travel bikes are crazy capable and the anthem used to get reviewed as such iirc

slackboy

I’d go with the trance. I do similar to you in the same area and it’s what I went for (this year’s model). The extra travel gives you much more confidence and control on the rocky sections. Plus to my eyes the 2016 anthem looks rubbish

However the whyte is supposed to be a great bike too.

Giant are opening a store in Blackburn so it might be worth having a look at the 2017 trance to get an idea whether it’s too much for your needs. Although it has got a wee bit more travel than the 2016

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah just realised Giant has now taken over the on yer bike store.
    And I’m buying on finance. Too lazy to save up. Plus I only have my mortgage, and motorbike on finance so £40 a month won’t break the bank.
    I do prefer the Trance just don’t like the colour. It’s a bit bland!

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’ve been in a similar position to you not with Giant but with Salsas. Bought a Salsa Spearfish then decided I was a bit underbiked for about 20% of where I ride so changed to the Horsethief. I’d rather have the extra travel than be looking for it! Get the Trance( I’m now on a Cannondale Habit fwiw)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide’ is closed to new replies.