Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help me decide!!
  • dyls

I have been offered a 2014 anthem x1 29 or advanced 2 27.5 for roughly the same value, but cannot test ride them as they are too far away.

From a component point which would you go for?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.anthem.x.29er.1/14998/66602/

Or

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/2014.giant.anthem.advanced.27.5.2/14993/66587/

I am tempted by the advanced but am not sure about the rear shock and sram components?

ben98
    Free Member

Get the 29er, ’cause 29ers are “the sh*t” 8)

DiscJockey
    Free Member

For me, I’d certainly go with the 2nd option.

Giant are masters of carbon frames. I wouldn’t go with carbon for some other makes, but with Giant their carbon option is always a good one, especially the Advanced versions. You can always, and will always upgrade parts. Get the best frame possible.

Giant have moved towards 27.5 wheels having tried 29 during 2013/14. I reckon they’re sticking with 27.5 from now on.

dyls

Im swaying towards the carbon anthem as well. Was unsure about the monarch r shock though.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Not withstanding the Carbon frame

The 29’er has a Fox 32 !!! the 27.5 a rockshox reba.

27.5 more chuchable

If it was me I would go for the 27.5

richellicott
    Free Member

I own an anthem x 29er and have ridden the aluminium version of the 27.5

The 27.5 felt odd to me, couldnt quite put my finger on why but I just prefer my 29er. Neither one felt more playful but the 29er is certainly more stable and rolls a little quicker.
    But you can’t go wrong with either of them in my opinion

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At 100mm the 32 will be fine
    Sram drive train is decent, the elixrs probably not bit of a lottery.

For out and out XC the 29r would be my choice, the difference is there over 26 in terms of rolling etc. chuckablility etc really depends on the bike itself not the wheels.

For 27.5 read 26.

dyls

Thanks for the feedback……

unovolo
    Free Member

What do you currently ride? , re.Wheel size have you tried any(friends, neighbours, bike shops) bike in either of the 2 newer! size formats.

I have gone straight from 26″ wheels to a 29er and really like how they roll and havent really noticed any issues with climbing or acceleration.

I can see the temptation of the Carbon frame on the Advanced but the X1 29er is a good spec too and may or may not feel the nicer to ride.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide!!’ is closed to new replies.