Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Help me construct the Ultimate Christmas Cheeseboard
  • manilow
    Free Member

I’m fancying a bit of post Christmas dinner cheese action, so looking to make up my own cheesboard.

The theme is a suitably pompous “A Journey Through Celtic Cheeses” 🙄

So have you guys got recommendations for:

– scottish/irish cheese
    – no goats cheese
    – think cheddars, blue cheese, hard cheese
    – out of the ordinary accompaniments (ie charcoal crackers??)
    – where best to get these cheeses ie online or local monger-of-cheese?

I’m Edinburgh-based so might fire into Iain Mellis, but would like to put my own touch on it rather than shop bundle.

Cheers!

khani
    Free Member

As you’re based in Edinburgh blue cheese should be easy, go out and find the oldest, dirtiest, smelliest unwashed tramp you can, chop off his feet, leave the feet to go rotten and mouldy then serve em up with some crackers and red wine..
    Stinky cheese… 😥

jonba
    Free Member

Mini stilton and spoons.

Drac

http://www.northumberland-cheese.co.uk

Best cheese in the world.

TooTall
    Free Member

scottish/irish cheese

Most everything you pick will be a poor imitation of the English cheese it is trying to be then! Or are you going to claim the Auld Alliance and get something French?

Saying that, I’d recommend Cooleeney, but that is soft.

Sandwich

Cashel for the Irish stuff.
    Keens for Cheddar.
    Colton Bassett for Stilton.
    Some fig jam or fruit cake to go with the cheddar,

Port to your taste to wash it all down.

OzInbred

Snowdonia Cheese – The Little Black Bomber works for me

rkk01
    Free Member

Celtic Pride Promise – Welsh, smelliest I have ever come across, but the flavour is subtle and delicious. I believe a milti-award winning cheese

Continuing the Celtic (but non-Scots / Irish) theme…

Cornish Yarg is a good hard cheese – again, subtle flavour, but with tingly wrapping!

Cornish Brie – seems to be creamier and more delicate than the mass market French bries.

Other suggestions…

A good Caerphilly

I also like the Harlech and Y Fenni cheeses, but they are flavoured cheddar type cheeses (IIRC)

ETA – need to check the name on that Celtic “Pride”….

ETA – Update – Celtic Promise

theotherjonv

Gorwydd caerphilly.

And swallow the pride and get some Stichelton as your blue veined offering. Everything else is second best.

manilow
    Free Member

Thanks guys! Esoecialy Sandwich and rkk01.

Aye, I’m not hardfast on the celtic thing – had sopme great cheese from the Lake District at a wedding last year, so will try and hunt that down.

Right, now to scythe some tramp trotters…..

franksinatra

You need grapes as well to freshen the palette between cheeses

binners

This is my personal favourite cheese

grandma singletons tasty lancashire

It makes your teeth water! And another belter of a blue cheese from the same place…

Garstang Blue Lancashire

timb34
    Free Member

If it’s Celtic Cheese, then surely you need to get something from Brittany? Something from the Abbaye de Timadeuc?

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I had one that contained jalapinios was crumbly, cnt for the life of me remember what it was called??? From morrisons supermarket and also one with chives i asked for a good selection on the cheese counter n he came good ; )

unklehomered
    Free Member

Swaledale with Old Peculiar. – just lovely.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s hardly going to be ‘the ultimate’ with such a regional bias is it?
    Maybe it should be ‘the best we could do considering my jingoism/nationalism and indifference to the noble cheeses available around the world’ ?
    🙄

headfirst
    Free Member

Celtic Cheese

Surely a big chunk of Wensleydale with stripes of green food colouring applied is required as the centre-piece.

binners

No need for green food dye. Just get some Sage Derby

Its bloody lovely!

robbespierre
    Free Member

Gruth Dhu Crowdie – Scottish cream cheese coated in peppercorns. Awesome!

Dunsyre Blue

brakes
    Free Member

it meets none of your requirements, but I would suggest Ossau-Iraty and Comte to anyone pondering this thread for some Christmas cheese, along with some quince jelly.

ojom
    Free Member

Whatever happens DO NOT neglect your Quince jelly and chutney accompaniments.

tomaso
    Free Member

+1 for not ignoring the Welsh cheeses caws cenarth

selaciosa
    Free Member

Asturias in Spain has Celtic roots. On that basis – Cabrales

ahwiles
    Free Member

gouda – what mature cheddar wants to be when it grows up.

sbob
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

Maybe it should be ‘the best we could do considering my jingoism/nationalism and indifference to the noble cheeses available around the world’ ? 🙄

You’ve missed out the 😉 smiley, you should edit your post before everyone thinks you’re a colossal bell end. 🙂

catfood
    Free Member

Caws Cenarth (Wales) do some very nice cheeses including an excellent blue.

manilow
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses guys, never knew STW had so many fromage connoisseurs!

Great suggestions and more than enough to last the Xmas period

:mrgreen:

torsoinalake
    Free Member

For cheddar, I’m partial to Black Bomber:

Home

CountZero

Ideally, Cheddar should come from Cheddar, and be properly mature, strong enough to feel as though your tongue’s being bitten off! 😀

sbob
    Free Member

Best cheddar I’ve ever had was a four year old called Scruttock’s Old Dirigible.
    Sourced from my local cheese shop, but they specialized in low volume cheeses so it’s probably not available anymore.

Waitrose do a goats cheese that is very hard like a cheddar, though slightly crumblier and still quite sour, definitely worth a punt.
    Good shout on the comte above as well.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

Get down ASDA in Galashiels, they’ve a ‘classic’ Scottish cheesboard. Five varieties of ‘orange’ chedder laid out on a ‘platter’…

theblackmount
    Free Member

Some of these are quite nice (old smokey and captains claret)

http://www.inverlochcheese.co.uk/home.htm

skooby39
    Free Member

Why pick and choose, when you can have them all in one go?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Why pick and choose, when you can have them all in one go?

I am embarrassed by this. 🙁

julianwilson
    Free Member

I love a cheese thread! I opened this one in the hope of finding someone getting flamed for suggesting Applewood. 😆

+1 for Yarg, it’s gert lush. If you want to go leftfield but still celtic, see if you can get some Abbaye de Timaudec.

athgray
    Free Member

Shropshire Blue is a lovely cheese originating from Scotland. Much nicer than Stilton IMO.

theotherjonv

Ideally, Cheddar should come from Cheddar, and be properly mature, strong enough to feel as though your tongue’s being bitten off!

Not this.

Proper Cheddar isn’t just strong, proper cheddar has far more depth of flavour than just strength. Get a Montgomery’s, or a Keen’s, or even a Lincolnshire Poacher (Cheddar styled, just not made in Somerset) and have your eyes opened.

globalti
    Free Member

Lancashire crumbly. Mmmmmmm.

Sandwich

Shipcord Mature, from Suffolk is a little less bitey than Cheddar, made local to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Help me construct the Ultimate Christmas Cheeseboard’ is closed to new replies.