Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help me choose what to plant
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

After being accused of shameless promotion of a particular event I have turned over a new leaf any won’t be mentioning it.

Instead, help me decide what vegetables to grow!

I have just built this planter. It is 1220mm wide by 600mm in the bottom planter (400mm deep). The top planter is 1220mm wide by 200 mm.

I was thinking of trailing tomatoes and strawberries up the top but what stuff will grow well in the main planter. Also seed or seedlings and what gets planted when?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are you new round here? Your name looks familiar……

😉

I’d go for some ‘erbs. Basil, coriander, chives, etc. Lovely smell and tasty too.

thomthumb
    Free Member

gunja

sofatester
    Free Member

Second that TT.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Gunja is a village and municipality in the hinterland of the left banks of the Sava in the region of Spa?va, Croatia

It might be easier to grow Ganja but I am a nice law abiding citizen plus, it doesn’t grow that well outdoors without supplementary heat or light

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sell it and use to proceeds to buy crack then.

willard

Tomatoes in the lower box, ‘herbs in the top one.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I’m a container veg gardener too. Your toms idea sounds good, I always do pretty well with them. Courgettes in pots don’t work in my experience. New for this year for me is broad beans, you can get dwarf varieties too which may go well in the lower tier. Salad leaves /rocket dead easy, good in the top planter. Seeds for the salad, seedlings for the other stuff I’d say.

Moses

Chard. It’s a good cropper and tastes good. It’s like spinach but hardier.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Anyone tried rocket?

thepurist

Definitely not sweetcorn as that crops quite late, say around the end of August, and you wouldn’t want to be away at any bike events while your veg goes over would you? Oh, and it’s a bit big for containers too.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Salad leaves /rocket dead easy

erm, yes. me.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Sorry anna, I read that without really registering it. I think it snuck in the back of my mind which propted my question. I probably need more vegetables in my diet to help my concentrate.

Anna-B
    Free Member

help my concentrate

For that, Mr Bash, you need to grow Gingko Biloba. Pretty and yellow in Autumn. If you made it wear small shoes, you might stunt its growth enough to fit in the lower tier.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

starting in the large planter from left to right.all these can be sown now,

beetroot (pablo f1 strain) can be harvested as baby beets or left to grow on,fantasticly easy to grow and taste mega.

carrot (parmex strain) small dumpy carrot that taste amazeing, and very easy to grow.

radish (cherry bell strain)super easy to grow and raddishes are mega.

lettuce (little gem strain) small in size takes up very little room very easy to grow.

mizuna (much nicer than rocket)slight mustard/pepper flavour small leaf for salad or let it grow on and use in stirfrys and alike.

All the above can be harvested, from late summer onwards, try planting seed at weekly intervels so there not all ready at once,if you no what i mean.

in the top planter again from left to right,i would go for herbs.all these can be sown now and harvested when ready.

common sage,chives,oregano,rosemary,coriander,and apple mint make sure you put a piece of hard board between the mint and all the other herbs idealy planting at the end of the planter as its quite invasive.

also you may not be aware but you can grow tomatoes upside down in hanging baskets,this eradicates a lot of parasites and infections ,they also look really smart,and seem to grow quicker with less skin split.imho

the reason i say left to right will help to increase yeild whilst protecting some plants from insects.

Muke
    Free Member

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

The seeds need sowing in ‘warm’ soil and sow in March/April. Now the soil is not going to be warm is it?

Do I pour hot water on the soil, fit an electric element or cover in clear polythene and hope the sun comes out.

Please say polythene.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose what to plant’ is closed to new replies.