Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Help me choose some carving/piste skis.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hey all, thought I’d rather have a separate post instead of putting this the ski/snowboard thread where only a handful of people might see it.

I’m looking at a said pair of piste/carvers for my level 3, and some advice as to which ones. I’d like to use the BASI discount so my main options are the Atomic D2, the Rossi Pursuit, or the Salomon 24’s. I’ve done a google and can’t find much info about any of them. Obviously there’s different price ranges in all the models.

From looking at them all the turn radius on the Rossi’s seems a bit big? 18m. But, I’m not sure I like the look of the sizing on the Atomic. I like a 170m piste ski and those only come in 166, or 175 which I think would be too big. Only real downfall I can see with the Salomon is the price.

Thanks for any input!!

Edukator
    Free Member

How tall and heavy are you? I’m surprised you think a 175 would be too long. If you’re looking at carving on piste then 18m doesn’t sound a problem either. I’m 68kg/1m74 and find 175-182 fine for anything except really tight slalom turns.

Edit to add disclaimer: anything less than 2m was considered short when I learned to ski and I like feeling the talon (back bit) is there.

Edukator
    Free Member

Catching up on the S+S thread I’ve noted we’re the same size and weight Michael. I’d be very surprised if you found a 175 Atomic too long. I use the Race 12 GS R=27 182 (the predecessor of the 183 D2 GS my son uses) and they feel about right, 175 would be OK too but the 166 too short..

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hey I’m 5″8″ and 68kg, so similar to you! I suppose 175 is just longer then what I’m used to for a piste ski, so maybe saying it’s too long isn’t right. And yes carving on piste and short turns. I love my Line Prophets but they certainly aren’t the right tools for the job lol.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And yes carving on piste and short turns.

Nordica Dobermann Spitfires were my favourite when I last tested that type of ski.

Lovely and fast, really quick edge to edge, 14m radius in a 170 (Which is what I tried), 72 underfoot which is lovely for a piste basher.

They’re like a GS ski crossed with an all day cruiser. Want to charge hard? They’ll do it. Fancy getting your cruising steezzz on? They’ll do it. Hideous graphics, mind you!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I actually quite like those graphics! 😛

Although Nordica aren’t in the BASI pro deal which puts a slight spanner in the works. Rossi Salomon and Atomic are my main options.

Ye I was thinking 166 would struggle a bit in steeps/variables with the lack of float. Nice on moguls though, which is my week point! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm. OK, rethink!

re length, I find about a 170 a good all rounder. Much shorter felt a little too choppy for me.

Not really familiar with Atomic (apart from the lovely Blackeye Ti!). Rossi just look too horrid for me to even want to try them! So, Sallys it is! Never had a Sally ski I didn’t like. OK, some weren’t massively inspiring, like the old X-wing, but they were never BAD skis. All rounders, very good. A bit like Spesh bikes, I’d say.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Yeah I agree the Rossis do look pretty bad, still bearable though, not over whelmingly bad!! But as I said the 18m turn radius could be an issue.
    The only prob with Sallys is the price, as they don’t come with bindings. Could pick up a pair of STH 12’s for cheap enough though.

Blackeyes are bit wide for what I want.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Some nice Volkl’s here http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/volkl-skis at a good price!

greggparker9
    Free Member

What about Rossi 9SL or 9GS? The D2 VF75s looks pretty nice too.

greggparker9
    Free Member

You can also get BASI deal for Dynastar/Lange I think. The Dynastar Speed Course Ti look real nice too.

crispo
    Free Member

What you need to ask yourself is what you want to/are going to use them for? What type of skiing will you be doing on them?

Generally if you are going to be bombing around quick doing big open turns then get a longer ski with a big sidecut radius. If you are more interested in nice short turns then go something a bit shorter.

If I remember from the other thread you have off piste skis already so don’t worry particularly about how they cope with deep snow or crud.

FWIW in 5’11 and 70kg and ski on 165cm dynastars with a 12m radius for 90% of the time
    And they are fantastic for just cruising about and making some sexy turns.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ll admit to relying quite heavily on the tests in Ski Chrono magazine when choosing skis. They get a bunch of racers and monitors to test the year’s range back to back. When they all like a ski it’s a safe bet. I know this might be hard to believe if you’re familiar with horribly biased MTB mags but I’ve bought skis and they’ve been exactly as described in Ski Chrono.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What you need to ask yourself is what you want to/are going to use them for? What type of skiing will you be doing on them?

Bit of a tricky one haha, they’re for the BASI level 3 so the technical side involves carving and short turns on piste, as well as bumps, steeps, and variables. Would be nice to be allowed switch skis for different days and terrain but we aint allowed I’m pretty sure!!!

If I remember from the other thread you have off piste skis already so don’t worry particularly about how they cope with deep snow or crud.

True a have a set of Line Prophet 98’s lovely all mountain ski! 🙂

You can also get BASI deal for Dynastar/Lange I think.

Yeah but they’re still out of my budget even with the discount!! 🙁

horribly biased MTB mags

I know the one 😉 .

greggparker9
    Free Member

Can you get BASI deal on Head skis? If so what about the Supershape Titan or Magnum?

crispo
    Free Member

Well it sounds like you want as much control as you can get from a pair then. Personally I’d use something shorter for control on the steeps and bumps, just make sure you get a good few days in before your assessment on the skis so you can get used to them.

Don’t worry, it’s only for your speed test for your BASI 4 that you really need to worry! Haha!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

it’s only for your speed test for your BASI 4 that you really need to worry! Haha!

A long way away from me I think! 😐 . I take it crispo you’ve been through all this malarky? Does remember dimensions for the skis you had?

And I haven’t seen or heard of a discount on Head skis, and the I Tatan and Magnum are lovely! I only did a few laps of them in Xcscape but still felt really nice.

greggparker9
    Free Member

Try contacting the head distributors direct and they might help you out?

crispo
    Free Member

I’ve not done it myself but I know quite a lot of people who have done.

One of the guys I used to race and train with set the time that people had to get close to a few times when he was living out in france a few seasons ago.

Sorry I cant be more help with specific skis, ive not bought from a shop in years!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Ye will do gregg, cheers! I’m bad enough at making decisions as it is though, don’t need to make it harder for myself by having a bigger choice lol.

I’d like more opinions on any of these I’ve mentioned if anyone else knows!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose some carving/piste skis.’ is closed to new replies.