Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help me choose between these 3 forks please…
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

Sorry, boring old topic but – changing my old dual air 150mm Revs out for some new (or secondhand if the right ones came along) forks. Want something stiffer and longer 😉 They’ll be fitted to my Blur LTc and these are the current favourites:

– 160mm 2014 Pike RCs from Alltricks at approx £390
    – 160mm 2013 Xfusion Slant RL2s from Chainreaction at £341
    – 160mm 2012 Fox 36 FIT RLC from JEJames at £399

I ride the Blur for everything from long XC rides incorporating sections of DH tracks to the occasional uplift day. Any other suggestions or useful PSA’s?? Thanks in advance

rickmeister

What about a s/h RC2 .. the 100 / 130 / 160 TALAS would help with doing “everything” as the fork length could be changed…

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yes, sorry Rick should have mentioned the Fox 36 at JEJames for £399 are Talas so have the adjustable travel, albeit 160 or 120, so would only ever be used for steep climbs probably. Leaning towards the Pike as more of an all rounder but the price for the Fox 36s is pretty attractive.

kimbers

Before I’d opened this thread I knew the answer was Pike

tomhoward

Before I’d opened this thread I knew the answer was Pike

This.

wilko1999
    Free Member

😀

I’m gonna get the Fox’s now just to go against the grain 😉

The Pikes do seem to have become a universal STW approved component, but can they really be that good? I used to love my old 36 RC2 talas, my only complaint was they were divey under braking regardless of how I set them up, how do the Pikes perform in this respect?

tomhoward

but can they really be that good?

Yes. I’ve just come back from Whistler, where I rode Pikes, coil Boxxers and air Fox 40s, all in the bike park, with is OMGhideous braking bumps. Try as I might I couldnt get to big dh forks to feel as good as the pikes.

kimbers

And to top it off the pikes are a fair bit lighter

AlexSimon

I’ve ridden three bikes with Pikes now and on every one I just totally forgot about the fork (I was trying to evaluate the frames) – they just worked.
    The fox 34s and the Revelations I rode both made me wonder if the fork was affecting the ride.

I also rode MRP Stage forks and they felt like the Pikes over the short loop I tried. i.e. good – kept high under braking, supple for the small bumps and ramped nicely at the end. Supportive.

HansRey

out of curiosity, what about the Marzocchi 350 range?

citizenlee
    Free Member

Marz 350 or Pike…

…or basically anything except the Fox.

kwack
    Free Member

Lyriks RC2DH

rickmeister

I will agree to the brakey divey RC2 behaviour.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Turns out Pikes were predictably the correct answer, ordered a pair from Alltricks. Not as cheap as on the PSA a few weeks ago, but still only £390 for the 160mm versions 🙂 Thanks for the suggestions etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose between these 3 forks please…’ is closed to new replies.