Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Help me choose an AM frame for a grand
  • gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’m a 6 foot with long arms (+4″!) and the large running a 50mm stem and 750mm wide bars.

The top tube is relatively short on paper but the steep seat tube pushes the reach out so it feels longer when stood.

It is perfect for me for everything from big trail rides, tight techy stuff to DH tracks. Any shorter and I’d be too cramped.
    Just over 33″ inside leg and I’ve got about 25mm spare drop on the Reverb, so that’s worth bearing in mind.

(edit – similar comments to above, too slow typing, watchin Josh and Danny at Windham WC! A med would definitely be too small for me though, so you are right on the borderline.)

bwaarp
    Free Member

Damnit, I need to try a large at some point. My problem is, is that I have 34 inch legs but I’m not quite 6 foot. Short body on long legs.

I’m not much taller than my 5 foot missus when I’m sat down.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Blur 4X still feels ace but fancy treating myself to something a little lighter and modern with things like ISCG mounts, Maxle/bolt thru rear end and something a little longer in the wheelbase.

Don’t get me wrong, the 4X is by far and away the best bike I’ve ever owned and I may well end up keeping it anyway if I change it for something else… just in case 😉

bwaarp
    Free Member

Looked at the Transitions for comparison. The Meedium Mega has a reach right between the Medium and Large Covert and almost as long a wheelbase as the large. The large Covert being rated for 185cm+ riders. So I reckon I’m fine, no need to change. :mrgreen:

dh
    Free Member

Not sure if this is any use to you? I dont know the normal RRP, but i think it is meant to be a good bike, but other more knowledgeable folks on here will be able to pass comment…

trek

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mega is outstanding value and very well liked. For a little over £1,000 you can get a Covert on sale. My LBS sold their demo Covert frame together with Hope headset and BB for £650, a bargain.

hughjengin
    Free Member

There’s been some great help here. Starting to wonder whether the mega is too much bike for what I need, as my riding is mixed between general xc, trail centres and a fair bit of more technical natural stuff here in north Wales. My mate recently picked up a sale 5 spot for 800 quid ! Anyone know of any deals anything like as good as this ? Also saw somewhere that has a 575 for a good price. With the new hopefully more reliable alloy back end. I looked into the stumpy evo as it sounds ideal, but no medium sizes. Anyone know of any hecklers on a good deal either ?

StuE
    Free Member
    Mugboo

The Mega with propedal on rides like a trail bike. Then let it off to let loose 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mega for £600. No brainer. Dammit you new kitchen / new wall / 4 car tyres / deposit for anniversary bash etc etc.

Hopefully they’ll still be that price later in the year!

mazdarati

More deals than you can shake your mickey at over on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=625&SortBy=DiscountDESC

Nice Cove Hustler in green would be cool…..

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

that 2009 Dawg for £399. Scandium tubes? Mag rocker? 6″ travel? for £399? I had the 5″ Coiler and it was a riot, and I sold it used for not much less than that.

You could spend the difference on a pimpy shock, or have the frame and decent forks for £1K. Someone on classifieds recently listed 2010 Lyriks for a bargain price (~£250).

Hmmm, I can see a second FS coming on!

Mugboo
    dingabell
    Free Member

I bloody hate threads like this! Perfectly good bike sitting in the garage, and all of a sudden people are posting awesome new spangly frames which I can’t afford but can’t stop wanting. What is it with bike envy? I should have just got into chess.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose an AM frame for a grand’ is closed to new replies.