Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help me choose a new full suspension frame
  • soundninjauk

I’m looking to retire my 2007 Orange P7, and finally make the move to full bounce. To save on £££ and hopefully learn something while I’m at it, I’d like to purchase frame only and move all my bits across, then sell anything I have left over.

I appreciate that I may need to purchase new suspension forks, seatpost etc., but I have a few nice bits on the P7 that I definitely want to keep (XT Shadow rear mech, Hope brakes etc.).

My budget is around £2000, give or take a couple of hundred. I’m looking for something XC/trail oriented, and although I’m not totally averse to a 29er, sticking with 26″ would let me use my current wheels. So far the options I’ve seen are the

Orange 5 – frame only £1500
    Cotic Rocket – frame only £1350, although I’m also very tempted by the
    Cotic Rocket – rolling chassis (frame, Rock Shox Revs, Hope Hoops, headset) for £2200

I appreciate the Rocket rolling chassis option removes the point of sticking with 26″, but it means I get a nice wheel upgrade (and don’t have to faff around buying conversion kits for my current Hope Pro 2 hubs) and makes sure that I get a fork that fits (instead of trying to put my current Fox Vans in there and finding out the steerer’s too short etc.). If I were buying forks separately however, I’d probably aim for Fox Floats. Will I notice any difference at all with the Revs RCT3?

My riding is a mix of Swinley Forest (the joys of living in London/yes a 150mm trail bike *may* be overkill there) along with trips further afield (Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Malverns/Cotswolds) a few times a year.

Right, sorry for the essay guys, please apply your collective wisdom and suggest away!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Given the way they look, I’d give some serious consideration to these beasties;

I is like. Lots.

honourablegeorge

I do liek those, but the gold is a bit OTT for my liking…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tracey

Have you looked at some of the Stumpjumper frames on offer from here

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/SPECIALIZEDCLEARANCEFRAMES-92.html

soundninjauk

Have you looked at some of the Stumpjumper frames on offer from here

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/SPECIALIZEDCLEARANCEFRAMES-92.html

I have seen those, and it’s shallow I know, but I don’t really love their looks. This is hopefully gonna be a bike that’ll stick with me for quite a few years, and there’s something about swoopy curvy frames that just rubs me up the wrong way.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

There is only one.

No nonsense.

soundninjauk

Just thinking about it, new forks are going to be an almost definite purchase either way as my current ones aren’t bolt through, which is an upgrade I’d quite like to make.

Getting a 5 would let me continue with my current (and long lasting) bout of Orange fandom…

roverpig

Haven’t you heard; there is a new kid on the block now. Move over Five, here comes …

Sancho
    Free Member

Based on how they ride, Id suggest the Bandit or Bandit 29.
    the Saracen is nice, alternatively get a custom frame printed from my friend from the Dirt article.

soundninjauk

I must say I like the looks of the Bandit more than I thought I would. Veeeerrrry interesting. As for the five29, reckon I’ll be sticking with 26 for now, luddite that I am.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

El Guapo with CCDB plus loads of dosh to bling it out

AndreyE
    Free Member

Nuke Proof Mega TR?

With some spare cash to properly bling it out.

Or, as an option, Norco Sight full bike and sell a mix of existing/new bits to get some cash back. The bike gets good reviews everywhere and will probably be a proper tool for the job.

soundninjauk

Thanks for the options so far guys, I think some sort of spreadsheet is going to be in order.

Mega AM frame set. Nicer geometry than the Saracen, similar price.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a new full suspension frame’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts