Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help me choose a Hardtail frame!
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

Bought a second hand canyon hardtail 29er about a year back, really enjoying it, so i’ve decided to upgrade the frame. I’m currently running 100mm forks, but I have some 120mm I was also thinking of using if the frame suits them better. So far the list is:
    Stanton sherpa
    Cotic solaris
    Orange clockwork
    Ragley bigwig
    Niner Air (although these seem to be out of production now?)
    Santa Cruz highball

Also seen the titus fireline ti on offer at planet x, just to throw another spanner in the works!

core

Don’t think you’ll go far wrong with any of those to be honest, just pick one in the material and/or colour you like most!

If it’s all about speed, then probably an aluminum frame, though you might sacrifice some comfort, might, maybe not. Demo if you can.

mboy
    Free Member

Some more buying criteria? You’ve given us a list of some frames you like already, and that you have a 100 or 120 fork to use… but very little else!

Price?
    What you’re going to use it for?
    Material?
    Geometry?
    Wheel size compatibility (I’ve assumed you’re sticking with 29er but do you want it to be able to take 650b+ too)
    Any other bits and pieces you’ve already got that you want to bring over to the new frame?

spudly1979
    Free Member

cheers guys, ok some more info – i’m planning on taking my giant dropper post over to the new one too so it needs to be 30.9 compatible. I’d prefer a threaded BB as mates seem to be having issues with pressfit. Not too concerned over internal routing really.
    It’s going to be used for local xc rides mainly, I’ve got a full suss i generally use for bigger mountain stuff or trail centres.
    Geometry – i’m looking to stay towards the xcish end of the scale – nothing too slack, it definitely needs to climb well, not just descend.
    On material, I’m fairly open – i’ll happily ride an alloy, steel or whatever frame to be honest!
    As to price, obviously I don’t want to go nuts, I think the sherpa at £600 is probably as high as I’d really want to go.

mboy
    Free Member

Given what you’ve said, go with the Sherpa.

Run it with a 100mm fork though given your preference for climbing ability over descending prowess. It’s pretty slack even with a 100mm fork in but still climbs ok, with a 120 fork it’ll wander a bit on the climbs.

What size would you be after? I might be able to help if you’re after an XL/21″…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Not really relevant, but here’s Pinkbike‘s poll of 2016’s sexiest AM hardtails.

🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

A good list, you’ll be fine with any of those. Buybthe one you want the most

(Loyal Cotic customer here so that would sway me to the Solaris)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a Hardtail frame!’ is closed to new replies.