Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help me choose a GPS unit
  • jonba
    Free Member

I think I might have killed my 800 this weekend. I’m going to talk to Garmin about a replacement but am also considering just splashing out on a new one. Are there better options than Garmin, my default is to buy an 810 because I have the 800 now and it has been sufficient.

I’d like –

The ability to run maps, OS and OSM for when I travel.

Long battery life and the ability to recharge while using for the odd epic ride. I think this might have killed my Garmin. I was forced to run an external battery in the rain and it got wet and kept going into an analysis mode and occasionally turning itself off. Thankfully my other 4 friends were ok but over the weekend out of 5 only 2 got a fully functioning file off the ride due to issues.

Connect to cadence and hrm (ideally the garmin ones I own)

Not as buggy as a garmin (mine seems to have problems on long rides and the PC software is pretty rubbish) – also see above.

Good range of accessories (you can get garmin cases, chargers and mounts in all colours, prices etc.) I don’t want to be limited to 3 weeks delivery and £50 for a non standard cable or anything daft)

About the price of the £810 so £250 currently.

Are things like the Bryton and other similar devices worth looking at or should I just go back to what I know.

Thanks,

CraigW
    Free Member

Look at the Garmin Etrex 30x. Batteries last about 24 hours, and it uses AA batteries, so can easily carry a few spares.
    Or Etrex Touch 35 if you prefer a touchscreen (but shorter battery life).

The Etrex models seem to be more reliable/less buggy than some of the Edges.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ my handheld gps uses AA’s which is essential when at sea and charging is not really possible for days upon end. It runs for 24hrs although constant screen use sees that come right down.

scotroutes

Garmin Oregon

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve got a Dakota for hiking and holidays. I have used it on the bike once in an “emergency” but have found it lacking. I think I do want something cycling specific so it (looks nice), is simpler to use and will connect to things. A speed sensor is important to me for use on rollers and the turbo in winter for example. A very simple start stop and reset function is required to TTs. The screen set up option on my 800 are particularly useful for racing and training.

I wonder when the 820 will be released. Prices on the 810 have dropped massively recently which suggests it is coming. I’d get the 520 but the lack of memory card puts me off. I occasionally need a lot of map data on holidays.

genubah
    Free Member

I wonder when the 820 will be released.

It’s coming. Reportedly, adverts for the Edge 820 were released by error and pulled down shortly after. Only a few screen grabs remain; to be taken with a grain of salt.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a GPS unit’ is closed to new replies.