Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help me choose a downhill brake…
  • flowerman
    Free Member

Hi

I am looking for a new rear brake to replace my old and leaking Formula Rx. I have a budget of about £120 and don’t need rotors or adapters. I will be running the brake with 200mm rotors, and I weigh about 12 stone. If anyone has had much experience with a brake in the alps that would also be useful as I go most years for a week.

Mainly considering Zee

Thanks

Edit: It will also have to be new as I need the brake by end of next week

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d go with the Zee if you can get a pair for that price.

I had a set of RX on my DH bike when I arrived in the Alps this summer, but took them off and replaced with Formula T1 from my other bike after a couple of days as they just weren’t up to the job. You’ll be glad to see the back of them I reckon.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Deores on 200mm will do just fine

fd3chris
    Free Member

If you are looking for just a rear brake you can get a new style code for that kind of money. I have a full pair on my yeti asr7 and it’s my first time on avids for years and I can’t recommend them enough. They have been faultless and the power is beyond any other brake I’ve had and I’ve had quite a few!

mikey74
    Free Member

Shimano all the way IMO: Either SLX or Zee. I use SLX on mine and they are excellent.

jimjam
    Free Member

Zee.

Northwind

Can you get Zee at that price? They were surprisingly expensive when I looked earlier in the year. Deore are amazingly good these days though arguably a bit unsubtle.

I’m a bit of a Formula fanboi but RXs aren’t great… Actually worse than the ancient Oro they replaced.

I could do you a set of Formula The One FRs for £120, with goodridge hoses and new pads… But can’t promise the hoses will fit obviously (had them on a medium Last Herb which is a fairly short bike), and could have them with you by the middle of the week probably.

BoardinBob

I ran a combo of Code front/ X0 Trail rear in the Alps. Both were awesome. Zero fade or any issues all week

_tom_
    Free Member

Northwind, if flowerman doesn’t want them I’ll probably have them off you if you still have em in about a months time – need to wait for pay day again unfortunately!

Rosss
    Free Member

Cheapest zees online are nearly £220 a pair, I might have a set for sale alittle over budget soon

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Running Codes, like, so, er, them. Fabulous power, decent modulation, fade free. And I have the old generation with the supposedly poor reliability.

Dain_Bramaged
    Free Member

SLX with 200mm rotors F &R and finned pads.
    A week in the Alps (Pila,Verbier and Crans Montana) with nothing but constant, amazing brake power and modulation.
    They’re worth the extra over the Deores to be able to wind in the levers when you get really tired.
    Great value.

Northwind

_tom_ – Member

Northwind, if flowerman doesn’t want them I’ll probably have them off you if you still have em in about a months time – need to wait for pay day again unfortunately!

No worries, they’re in my Brake Mountain where they’ve been ever since I split up the herb so no rush!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a downhill brake…’ is closed to new replies.