Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • Help me choose a dog.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member
    mrsflash
    Free Member

Thicko question, some of you are talking about Parson Terriers and some about Jack Russels and some about Parson Jack Russells – is there a difference?

Some v v cute dogs on here 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

Don’t get a pedigree dog, they’re all inbreds! Seriously, as has been touched on by other posters, each pedigree breed has associated medical conditions that they are particularly prone too, as witnessed in higher pet insurance premiums. And get them from the RSPCA or such like, and get them ‘done’ too -its for their own good!

I also don’t see the point of taking them mountain-biking, because, unless you live on a bridleway or always drive to trail centres, at some point they’re going to have to be walking/running on roads whilst you’re on your bike – I don’t fancy that with my two pretty obedient dogs!

<turns off patronising mode> 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

A parson terrier is a long legged jack russel effectivly, just don’t go saying that to the kennel club 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

hora
    Free Member

headfirst I dont think your patronising in the slightest. Actually, if you got in touch with a few local homes and got your name down I bet you could pick up a nice cross-pup eventually.

We’ve had a few dogs at home- A Corgi that liked to bite me (ALOT!), yorkie etc- but a cross lived to 18yrs old and never had to visit the vets. Placid/calm yet affection. We gave him to a relative of ours after her husband passed away and he was good as till the end 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

Hora, we regularly have feathers in the dogs mouth, and frogs left in the garden, frog’s have a tendency to play dead though and when you lift them up the buggars jump!!

jimster
    Free Member

hora – Member
    DONT GET A RETRIEVER OR LAB! No offence if you own one but jesus they do my head in and they do suffer joint problems sadly.

Main problems with Labs/Retriever is they are over exercised way too early, a little and often is better for the first year or so. Also check the hip scoring of the parents and ask to see the results.

Sandwich

So the Jack Russell is a sawn-off Parsons Terrier?

colnagokid

plenty of pedegree dogs and pups in dog shelters, no need to encourage dog breaders/puppy farms any more!

pjbarton
    Free Member

staffie – can’t get better with kids. not great with other dogs (they think they’re people)
    get one of the longer legged ones – I think the breed’s going that way a little.

pjbarton
    Free Member

staffie – can’t get better with kids. not great with other dogs (they think they’re people)
    get one of the longer legged ones – I think the breed’s going that way a little.

hora
    Free Member

sawn-off Parsons Terrier- that sounds a good weapon for post offices and money vans.

Candodavid – My GF is always shocked. She thinks just because our dog looks ‘cuddly’ that he shouldnt hurt anything. Hence I never let him within 5yards of any small child/baby or puppy as he can be intensely jealous.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Whippet

Hazel
    Free Member

Meet Marmite the Patterdale terrier;

The ball in the picture at the beach is the size of a tennis ball, she’s not irish wolfhound sized and standing next to a football!
    Brilliant breed, I’d deffinately recommend them.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Nigel the Patterdale Terrier.

willard

Has someone said cocker spaniel yet? Not the rubbish show ones with the uber-fluffy coats, but a working one.

hora
    Free Member

How do you tell when Patterdales are dirty? 😕

mrsflash
    Free Member

Nigel is lovely!

Hazel
    Free Member

You can tell they are dirty by the trail of mud they leave on the carpet and the smell.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Nigel is lovely!

He is but has a sock fettish which can be annoying.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

willard – Member
    Has someone said cocker spaniel yet? Not the rubbish show ones with the uber-fluffy coats, but a working one.

Page One.

FuzzyWuzzy

Get one that barks not yaps, proper dogs bark and fashion accessories yap :p

ART

Marmite is super cute! I know it’s wrong but I really want one… 😉

jimmy

I like those patterdales. I’m warming to terriers recently, but a labrador would still be hard to beat in my book.

Oh go on then…

nickc

Paddy the Patterdale is sorely missed in our family. Put to sleep 3 years ago, and we’re still struggling to work out whether to get a replacement.

Patterdales are all the nice aspects of terriers, Intelligence energy loyalty, without all the bad bits the snappiness, etc. Would always recommend them to families. Top dogs

Ben_mw

Patterdales are all the nice aspects of terriers, Intelligence energy loyalty, without all the bad bits the snappiness, etc. Would always recommend them to families.

At present I’m not recommending Paterdales to anyone as Marmite has just had a wee on my office floor 😯
    Haven’t tried taking her biking as stationary bikes are things to be feared, whilst moving bikes are things of (great) interest, and I don’t want to have to explain the tyre tracks up the dogs’ back to Hazel. She does come running with us though and seems quite happy.
    My little brother also now has one and that to is a lovely natured, but highly energetic dog.

ransos
    Free Member

My vet friends tell me that most pedigrees are prone to inherited health problems of one kind or another, but the exception is Border Terriers.

DezB
    Free Member

I also don’t see the point of taking them mountain-biking, because, unless you live on a bridleway or always drive to trail centres, at some point they’re going to have to be walking/running on roads whilst you’re on your bike – I don’t fancy that with my two pretty obedient dogs!

Duh. What’s wrong with driving to the bridleway?
    Now mine’s trained to go on the lead while I’m riding I just ride on the footpaths to the bridalway (its quiet round these ‘ere parts).
    Until then I just stuck bike and dog in the car.
    The point of taking them mountain biking is that it is bloody GREAT!!

djc1245
    Free Member

I managed to get a puppy of a rescue dog. Jack Russell too. Ripping me and the house to shreds but think the world of her.

emac65
    Free Member

Boxer, the most fearless,loving,loyal,funny & cudly stupid big oaf of a dog you’ll ever find………
    Forget it if you’re house proud though…. 😕

djc1245
    Free Member

djc1245
    Free Member

Try again

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Terriers are ok but I think they have not got a lot of personality. The males ones are too intinctive and want to make themselves look bigger, cock on every bitch they see and are hard to train and recall. They are yappy no matter what the owners say.

A lurcher is a fantastic dog in its smaller size. Whippets are also good dogs. A cocker would be a good bet though if its going to be used as trail typre dog. The smoother hair cockers are fantatic looking with good traits and temperament and much better than any terrier in any guise. Cockers get better with age too.

I do agree with the pedigree thing though. They take more money to buy and keep the vet in a new Merc. I just bought a German Shorthaired pointer and have found out about vets! Poor pup at 5 months is lame at moment with no end to it getting better soon.

Dancake
    Free Member

I dont know if anyone has said this, but whatever you choose, make sure you are prepared to walk it every day, and dont think it will be ok on its own all day while you are at work!

sorry to be all dog PC but I get so annoyed when people do something stupid like buy a Springer and get surprised when the poor mite tears up the house because it is left on its own all day BORED

anyway, I am a Springer fan. The little dude is obedient, athletic, (funny), great with my Baby, loyal, ACE! I never tire of watching him enjoy the countryside. I have a Cocker cross, too. He is the clever one…

clareymorris

Emac 65, I agree…..oh hang on, any excuse to post pic of Bruno…..we lost him in January 🙁 God we miss him terribly.

However, not small in any way!

ams09121974
    Free Member

One of these?

Superb temperament, great character and will run all day!

He’s two know and going to get another one later in the year!

ams09121974
    Free Member

and here!

Spaceman
    Free Member

OP here….

Thanks for all the replies folks, amazed at the response. Thanks.

I have had dogs in the past, one a terrier/collie cross (I think, bit of a heinz he was!) I know all about the need for regular excercise and terriers being a bit harder to train. But I appreciate folk pointing out the pitfalls of dog ownership, just like to assure youse that I’m not some kind of tit who’s just decided he wants a dog with no thought of what it entails.

I’m also aware that pedigree dogs have problems, but the dogs I’d consider; parsons, border terriers etc seem to be pretty defect free, I’d never consider some of the more outlandish/problem breeds, but again thanks for the advice.

You’ve all given me lots to think about, breeds I’d never heard of and ones I’d never really considered. I will probably still try to go for a pup, maybe a pedigree maybe not, as what is wrong with wanting to give your kids what they really want? I’m going to contact Border’s animal rescue tomorrow to see what they have in as well, as my mind’s been changed on the possibility of getting a rescue dog.

The one thing that is certain is that we are definately getting a dog after seeing all the cool/cute ones posted on here! Border terrier probably top of list now if getting a pedigree. (patterdales look nice too)

anagallis_arvensis

our lurcher is 3/8 greyhound, 1/4 whippet, 1/8 border collie, 1/8 bearded collie and 1/8 bedlington terrier, how can you go wrong with all those mixed up genes!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a dog.’ is closed to new replies.