• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tor5.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help me choose a crankset (and bb)
  • d3carbon
    Free Member

i’m currently building up a dream build trail bike and have a shortlist of cranksets but not sure of any compatibility issues.

– The bb shell on the frame is 73mm BSA threaded.
    – 1×11 (not bothered about eagle)
    – mech, cassette and shifter is all XX1
    – frame is boost rear end.

Option 1: the obvious choice would be an XX1 crankset to match the rest of the group, however I like the 30mm raceface options.
    Option 2: Raceface Next SL. The lightest crankset but a huge price. Heard a few stories about the threaded pedal inserts coming loose. Are they really worth it?
    Option 3: Do i just stick to what I know and put a Raceface Turbine on. I have this on another bike and no complaints. It is reasonably priced but a bit on the heavy side.

Both the Raceface options 2 & 3. use the Cinch system with 30mm spindle, and I like the simplicity of the cinch. Can i use the hope 30mm bb for these?

Any experience of these would be appreciated, or any other suggestions welcome.

Also does anyone have all the exact weights of the cranksets. From looking online it seems they like to confuse matters by sometimes adding or not adding chainring and bb in the quoted weights of each.

momo

I’m running hope 30mm BBs with Turbine Cinch chainsets on 2 bikes with no issues.

gelert
    Free Member

Don’t do option 2! Got 2 sets. Had 2 sets replaced under warranty. 1 set after 18 months, one after 6 months use.

I’ve heard good things about Option 1 carbon cranks from people who then had the Next SL and had issues. They said they hadn’t had any issues with the SRAM cranks at all.

I’d stick with Option 3 as it’s working.

I have the Next SLs and a set of Shimano SLX 3x setup as 1x and really struggle to tell what cranks I’m running when I ride. The weight difference really isn’t worth it. It’s 200g.

My Cinch BB however has been excellent, it’s outlasted the crank arms. Now over two years old and still going strong.

Last set came back in February and I’ve done 1000km on them since then, holding up ok. Previous ones went wrong at 1500km though. Pedal inserts came loose.

The other Next SL set that came back from warranty (lasted only 6 months) were upgraded to G4s and they’re still in a box in my garage! I can’t be arsed taking the SLX off the other bike. Will put them back on when I need to next change chains as they do have over a year warranty left.

I wouldn’t buy a RaceFace Next SL crankset again. Turbine, maybe. To keep my BBs and DM rings.

Shimano cranks are a dream to setup. Wish they’d do a DM setup.

The number of times I’ve had to remove cranks and swap BBs since having Next SLs. 🙁

transition1
    Free Member

Praxis do nice cranksets, I am running the Girder on main bike. Also uses a Praxis 30mm bottom bracket which are great. The Carbon lyft cranks more than Next SL
    Other option DMR Axe cranks they get great reviews
    I also run Turbine Cinch on other bike

Alex

I like the turbine cranks but had issues with BBs (RF versions) in terms of their longevity. Or not. The cinch system is fantastic tho. Have some XTR cranks on another bike and they are things of beauty but there’s no obvious performance difference and you’d be nuts paying full price for them. Agree a DM option would be great

I prefer the shifting of SRAM, but not enough to start swapping mechs and shifters..

dovebiker

I have Turbine Cinch but the RF BBs are rubbish – tiny bearings prone to water ingress that are hard to clean / repack/replace. I’ve just changed to a Wheels Mfg BSA30 BB – bigger bearings and proper seals, not plastic discs. The only downside is another BB tool. Don’t see the need to pay another £30 for Hope

gelert
    Free Member

Totally against what I thought would happen but the Cinch 30mm BB has been excellent for me and I re-packed it after 1500km. It’s now the longest running BB I’ve had having done over 2500km on it and two winters. I give it all a clean and re-grease every now and again. This one doesn’t owe me anything.

I never hose my bikes though but plenty of very sloppy rides in that time.

A Shimano XT BB might last me one winter or two years but they’re dirt cheap in fairness.

The £15 RF 30mm BB tool is prone to slipping. ParkTool do a lovely one but it’s twice as expensive but would be worth it to use a proper long arm torque wrench and never slip. Will be purchasing it if I slip again or have to fight the short arm RF tool to get the BB off.

Northwind

Supposedly the new SL actually works. But I broke both of mine, in 2 different ways- pedal insert and crank interface. Only cranks I’ve ever broken, too. The BB was OK mind!

So then I thought, fine, get turbine or sixc. But sixc’s not that light, for the price and turbine turned out to be heavier than my ancient XTRs so I just went back to those.

Past experience of sram/truvativ BBs has been phenomenally bad for me so that’s what I’d worry about with them.

d3carbon
    Free Member

Anyone recommend the XX1 crank over a raceface turbine?

transporter13
    Free Member

Another turbine on hope bb user here… No issues at all as yet

poah
    Free Member

I’d get an XT crank.

roverpig

Hope ? No idea if they are any good, but they’d be on my list of options at least.

eulach

Is the DMR Axe a rebranded praxis – 28 to 30mm bb?

tor5
    Free Member

Have you seen the Next R cranks? Almost as light as Next SL, but stronger pedal thread inserts. They’re going on my next build…

d3carbon
    Free Member

Have you seen the Next R cranks? Almost as light as Next SL, but stronger pedal thread inserts. They’re going on my next build…

Ah yes, this looks like it may be the one. Can’t find anywhere that sells it yet though.

BearBack
    Free Member

FSA’s new modular SL-K cranks..
    Mine are super, cant give you a weight a as I have a pre production solid version not the hollow production ones.

tor5
    Free Member

D3carbon – Your LBS should be able to get them from silverfish?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a crankset (and bb)’ is closed to new replies.