• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help me choose a compact digital camera, please
  • Tallpaul
    Free Member

Sorry, another tired subject but here goes:

I’ve sort of whittled the choice down to:

Sony DSC-RX100 I or

Panasonic Lumix TZ60 (or possible TZ70 for a few extra £££).

I know they’re not directly comparable. But I’m torn between the big sensor Sony and the 30x optical zoom of the Lumix.

Low light performance is where my old camera (a low end Sony Cybershot c10 yrs old) suffers – to the point where my iPhone 5s takes a better photo at night.

However, I’m sure even the TZ60 is vastly better, despite low light performance being a criticism I’ve read (partly addressed in the TZ70).

I like the idea that the Sony has the potential for superb quality images but I’m not sure if the lens is a bit limited.

I want a camera for family snaps, holidays, sightseeing etc. It needs to be compact and produce the best possible image without fuss (and be <£300). I don’t to any image editing apart from rotating and cropping!

mugsys_m8

We’ve just got the TZ-61 after reecommendations from some friends who are mountain guides and used it for a simple point and shoot giving great quality without getting involved in palying with settings.

Very happy so far. The TZ-61 is the same as the TZ-60 but for the german market apparently.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you have a collection of images run ExposurePlot and see what focal lengths you actually use. That may answer you question.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed owning TZs (TZ3 and TZ10) and an RX100. Happy with all of them for what they are (compact zooms) – can’t speak for newer TZs but obviously the RX100 is in another league for low light and IQ in genera IMEl. Images from all cameras have been good straight out of the camera for web use or small prints – only downsides with either I’ve found are with TZs tending to blow out more highlights to a degree, and RX100 limited with macro (yet a cropped RX100 image is at least as good as a dedicated full-frame macro on my TZ)

*edit -forgot to say, am selling both of mine in classifieds to help fund an x100 as I prefer a fixed lens.

boblo
    Free Member

I went through this recently and ended up with a TZ-60. Similar requirements to the OP. So far, so good though is not had a great deal of use.

Trekster

Old TZ19 likely to be superseded by a newer version soon.

grum
    Free Member

I think the Sony is more of an ‘enthusiast’ camera which doesn’t really sound like what you’re after.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a compact digital camera, please’ is closed to new replies.