Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me choose a comfortable road bike
  • sandwicheater

For my 70 year old father in law.

He leant/gave me his Dawes Galaxy a few years ago and I wrapped it around a car (and myself in the process). Since then he’s not had a road bike.

He’s started to mutter he’d like to do get back into it and wants something comfortable. I can see him churning out 5 hour bimbles on the roads of East Anglia and pootles when he pops up to visit us in Huddersfield.

Other than another Galaxy, can you suggest other bikes of a similar vein?

I know very little about road bikes so advise would be gratefully received.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Howabout a recumbent? Bacchetta Giro? Comfortable long distance? If tied to the diamond frame then something nice and forgiving in the butted steel dept, once that hurdle is over then it’s more about cockpit and seating choice. If it was flattish terrain I’d go Dutch (ie Gazelle Fuente or similar) and sit up, see well, and take my time in luxurious comfort. If speed and distance more important then Galaxy takes some competition from a number of Audax bikes worth having a look at Spa Cycles

woody2000

The EBC touring bikes look good, especially the “premier”
    EBC Revolution Country Premier

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Genesis equilibrium? What are the clerances like on a planet x RT-58, ribble sportive etc, I’m guessing he wants guards too?

Whatever it is, if you want comfort get something that takes 28c tyres, and fit a selle italia SLR gell saddle, or whatever that fits him, any of the racey saddles but in the gel version. Swapping from the regular SLR to the gell version has been a revelation even on 2-3 hour rides, untill then I just thought the SLR was the best and all saddles were bad over 5 hours!

lunge

You’re going to have to give us some more info here. Budget for a start.

How about another Galaxy?

sandwicheater

I’m thinking £1000 or below. He’s not asked I pay for it and wouldn’t expect me to but I owe him.

Good suggestions so far. Mudguards are a must. I do keep coming back to the Galaxy but only because I don’t know what else there is.

It’s difficult. In his day he’d knock out 120 mile rides no problem and although he’s under no illusion he’d be doing the same, I’m sure he wants to do some touring with local clubs and his son (real son, not the smelly son in law who touches his daughter in her naughty place). Think 28c tyres are a good idea I reckon.

lunge

Joking aside, I think you want what you’ll hear referred to as a “winter road bike”. They will generally have relaxed geometry, space for mudguards and reasonably comfortable riding positions. The Ribble winter roadies have a good reputation as do the Dolan bikes. Both can be specced to your budget and will come well under it if you need.

For touring (and thinking of the bike I specced for my 65 year old dad), I would look for compact drops (less distance from the top of the bars to the bottom so more comfortable to use if your flexibility isn’t what it was), a triple chainset (my Dad likes his bailout gear) and Tiagra level groupset (solid, dependable kit, not too expensive if it breaks). Rack and mudguard mounts are a must as well, you’re better off having them and not using them than not having the option.

sandwicheater

A triple is an excellent idea, never even thought of that.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

I like the look of these…..

Ooooh

Takes chunky tyres and a rear rack and i think a set of mud guards should fit too.

iainc

the most popular answer to ‘most comfortable road bike ?’ is normally ‘Giant Defy’, for very good reasons. Various kit levels to suit budget and factor in a professional bike fit for tweaks on reach, bar height, saddle etc.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Equilibrium or the EBCs look like ‘proper’ bikea, along the lines of the steel Dawes, whereas some of the others he might not like so much.

RustySpanner

Spa Cycles Tourist?

Linky.

Maybe their Audax model if he fancies something lighter?

TiRed

I think he’d like something a litle more sprightly than a Galaxy for nice day rides. I may be wrong, he may want something light and carbon, but I think a Dawes Clubman is more likely to be his thing. These are normally referred to as Audax bikes – a little lighter and faster geometry than full-on tourers.

If he does want carbon, then a Giant Defy Composite, the difference in weight, handling and ride will be a revelation. Why shouldn’t older people benefit from modern advances 😈

midlifecrashes

I went on some 5 hour bimbles round the lanes of East Anglia a couple of weeks ago with some old gits. One on a Claud Butler Dalesman, the other on a Raleigh Record Ace. Teas, Windmills, old airfields, beers of an evening, good times had by all.

Anyway, if you want a 23″ Dawes Super Galaxy of 1980s vintage, mine hasn’t had a proper run since I got a Fargo, and it would be nice if it could be put to good use again. Will need a fettle, but it’s solid enough, and could either be restored as is or updated.

ampthill

I think the big question is

Something he can tour on. Triple chainset etc.(plus can spin up inclines in his own time)

Something more sprightly for day use

On the triple front I’d look at the suggestions above plus Trek do a fairly nice tourer for just under £1000. The 520

Specialized and Trek both do road bike triple with comfort as the focus. I think they are the Sectuer and the Domane.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a comfortable road bike’ is closed to new replies.