Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me calculate how many floor tiles i need!! Going mad here. Victorian tiles
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

We are trying to re-tile our living room with the same style of tiles that have been removed previously by the previous owner.
    they are this style:

We need LOTS and at £1.10 each plus VAT want to order the correct amount.

All that i know so far is:
    the pattern will be diamond
    41 tiles will cover 112cm squared

the room is 360cm x 400cm

so i THINK i need 21 per length and 24 across the width = 504 (this is not right i am sure!!)

anyone help as i am going mad, also anyone know of any tiles cheaper than my £1.10 plus vat each!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are your numbers right? If 41 tiles cover 112 cm^2 then one tile co ers about 2.5cm^2. That makes each tile 1.3cm long.

Unless I’ve just not had enough sleep which is very likely.

scotroutes

Surely the easiest thing to do is get the size of each tile and go from there? Divide width and length by the size of the tile and add on one row in each direction.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I think there’s a units issue here somewhere. Have you convered the 112cm^2 from m^2? Did you remember that there’s 10,000 square cm in one square m?

scotroutes
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OP, what are the dimensions of each tile? Or are they not available?

Mr_C
    Free Member

112 cm squared is not the same as 112cm^2. It’s 12544cm^2, which makes each tile 17.5 x 17.5. So by my calculations you need 470 tiles plus an allowance for wastage which may be quite high with a diamond pattern, so 504 tiles isn’t far off.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

170mm across the diagonal

br
    Free Member

Either way, whatever number you get to – get 10% more.

If not for the few you crack initial, for the future when you’ve cracked some.

But struggling to understand how an adult can’t divide the size of the room by the size of the tiles…

scotroutes

😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

Okay, at 17cm on the diagonal, I’d agree with 21 x 24 for the room size you gave. As above, add 10%, especially as you’re laying at an angle which may increase wastage.

robdixon
    Free Member

OriginalStyle Tiles are pretty good for victorian tiles and seem to have tiles that are closest to the originals. Unless the OP is going for glazed ones don’t forget to put impregnator down on them before the tiles are grouted – lithofin seems to work well

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Tiles, in the living room?

nickjb
    Free Member

Most decent shops will take back unopened boxes. Buy more as running out will be a pain. Take the excess back.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes twinw4ll, thats what it originally had

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me calculate how many floor tiles i need!! Going mad here. Victorian tiles’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts