Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help me buy the right thing 1st time! Chainring & bash advice requested :-)
  • psychle
    Free Member

OK, I’m finally getting around to fitting an E-13 DRS bash/chainguide I bought off the classifieds, I think it has a 40T bashring (though it may be a 44T as it covers my existing 44T outer ring?). My current chainset is XT setup with 44/32/22 rings (Hollowtech II cranks, so I guess this is a 104 BCD?). The cassette is a 34-11T SRAM jobbie

I’m thinking I’ll run a 36T and 26T up front to start with, how does that sound to you folk? I hardly ever use the granny (strong legs and I generally ‘grind/power’ my way up hills rather than spinning 😀 ). I prefer not to spin out (and I do a bit of road riding on this bike as well, would be nice to be able to sit on 30km/hr or so easily), so maybe I should stick a 38T on the front perhaps?

With chainrings, how do I know which ones will fit my cranks/spider? Do I just need a 4-bolt 104mm BCD outer and a 4 bolt 64mm BCD inner and all will be good? Are any particular brands better than others? What would you recommend? (thanks for the advice 😀 )

Also, the bash/guide didn’t come with the long chainring bolts (thanks to the chap I bought it off for mentioning this 👿 ), are these the right ones to get?

cheers folk, appreciate your help as always 8)

rolfharris
    Free Member

Yes to the chainrings- 104bcd, 4 bolt.

Yes to the bolts- they’ll do nicely.

As for the chainrings 38T may be too big, I’d wait for someone else with some experience of it on here to confirm that it works but it’ll probably be OK.

soobalias
    Free Member

36-11 is near as dammit 44-14 and therefore only spinnier than 44-12 and 44-11, so if you can lose the top two gears, go with a 36t chainring.

personally i have 22,36 up front, you may prefer 24,36

psychle
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice so far 🙂

How do you work out what gear is equivalent to another? I’m assuming there’s some sort of calculator or somesuch?

If I go with a 36T then I guess I should change the bashguard for a smaller one, I think it’s a 44T version and that’d look a bit odd wouldn’t it?

ctznsmith
    Free Member
    soobalias
    Free Member

i use gear inches as a comparison.

the above link has had a lot of use over the years.

psychle
    Free Member

OK. So these are the chainrings I’m going with:

36T Middle Ring

26T Inner Ring

And I’ll get a new 36T bashguard as well (seeing as it comes with the bolts I’ll need anyway, and it’ll suit the 36T ring better 😀 )

Does this all look OK for my XT Hollowtech II cranks? Any other brands of chainrings that I’d be better spending my hard earned on?

Thanks again for your advice everyone, rock on 8)

psychle
    Free Member

anyone? before I press the order button 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help me buy the right thing 1st time! Chainring & bash advice requested :-)’ is closed to new replies.