Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Help Me Buy A Van…
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve decided to get a bike delivery van for cycling duties for business purposes and wondered what the general consensus of opinion was regarding contract hire, lease purchase etc.

I own a limited company, so VAT will be taken care of, as will the running costs. I’m looking at a VW Caddy, possibly a Caddy Maxi, with Highline Trim and metallic paint, so a purchase price of around £15-16k.

Does anyone have any persuasive arguments as to which options are most beneficial?

Thanks, as always, in advance… 8)

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

We had a CaddyMaxi 4motion as a company van. Sure it was nearer £22k than £15k-£16k. We kinda struggled as we did a big mileage in it and got clobbered when it went back. Didn’t think it was the most cost effective method of running a van. As for the van, didn’t think it was that good. Poorly made and cheap plastics.

flip
    Free Member

Transit.

pymwymis
    Free Member

2 year old Transporter for that money. Much better van IMHO and I have driven both. Prefer the higher driving position as well.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Vito LWB, top trumps in vans. Mines just gone over 100k in five years, it’s totally bombproof and with winter tyres on, gets anywhere in anything.

chewkw
    Free Member

This one … Toyota Hiace but unfortunately you can’t get this in Europe as it is very fast like a rocket.

Other vans are rather irrelevant by comparison to this one in the far east.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Vito LWB, top trumps in vans. Mines just gone over 100k in five years, it’s totally bombproof and with winter tyres on, gets anywhere in anything.

Haha, right o. that’s certainly not the word on the t’internet or from anyone I’ve every known with one! Expensive to buy, depreciate like hell, rust like an old ferry and RWD makes for a hand full in anything other than perfect weather.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

For the finance side, I’d suggest in the fist instance asking your accountant.

Cost of “owership” will depend on the companies cash available, how long you’ve been trading (seems to effect the deals / rates you get), your personal tax situation (higher / lower rate) and how likely you think you’ll be able to hand it back pristine, what extras the lessor charges for dealing with parking tickets etc, ……..

A loan might be a better deal. Or buying nearly new. Or, well, it depends on your situation.

The advice I got has varied over the years / circumstances.

Its a tad boring I know. But some stuff works out really expensive in a short space of time.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just don’t scratch it!

legend
    Free Member

Haha, right o. that’s certainly not the word on the t’internet or from anyone I’ve every known with one! Expensive to buy, depreciate like hell, rust like an old ferry and RWD makes for a hand full in anything other than perfect weather.

We’ve got one that’s just done its first 37,000 in 15months. Not a single beat skipped so far, did have to replace a bulb though – the horror!
    Don’t care about the depreciation, I believe that the rust issue is no more (certainly nothing starting around the stone chips on ours), Transporters (the van buyer’s Audi) aren’t exactly cheap either. The handling comment is bollocks, ours is a 135bhp SWB, had it out in all conditions with and without winter tyres – you’d have to be an idiot to find the handling difficult

Drac

Old Vitos were awful they rusted in no time and at all, the newer ones are a vast improvement.

rene59
    Free Member
    M1llh0use
    Free Member

Just been upgraded for my company van from peugeot bipper to renault trafic. Massive step forward, better drive, quieter, comfier and cavernous in the back.

My one was a preregistered one with 26 miles on the clock and on the forecourt for 11,995 from 19k.

Fraid I can’t comment on pcp or finance though…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

For the finance side, I’d suggest in the fist instance asking your accountant.

This is my next port of call… But having never bought – or leased – a vehicle through the business, I thought I’d ask if anyone had any suggestions either way.

I’m warming to the idea of finance lease at the moment – this was briefly explained to me at a dealership yesterday, but my understanding is that I could personally buy the van after 3 years.

Having done a bit of measuring-up lat night, I’m not convinced I’d need to go for the Maxi though, does anyone use a Caddy as a bike van?

Ideally I’d like it to be ply’d/carpeted and some sort of fork-mounting rack fixed to the floor to carry 2 bikes…

piha
    Free Member

I’ve found that banks can be very competitive with business loan rates for vans, this depends on your relationship with your bank of course but worth a look.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thanks PIHA, that was another question – I’m an absolute numpty when it comes to finance, I have one of those brains that needs walking through anything number related!!

I’m guessing that dealerships make a lot of commission – they seemed to be falling over themselves to tell me that they could do loads of deals on the purchase price which sounded to me like they were trying to hook me in on that so I wouldn’t ask any questions about the finance!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The Transit Custom looks like a pretty good van. Worth a look.

blastit
    Free Member

Kangoo pre reg from 8k on autotrader .
    2 times that for a caddy seems a little mad.

andy8442
    Free Member

You can have my Vito, its reluctenly for sale. Dualiner Sport. 5 seats, big boot, all the toys. They drive better than the VWs and are a little bit cheaper. I’ve had both over the last 6 years and theres very little between them apart from resale value.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Kangoo pre reg from 8k on autotrader .
    2 times that for a caddy seems a little mad.

Yes, but a VW will last twice as long as a Renault, will have a far higher resale value and will be far more reliable. 😉

I’m looking at Caddys because I’m going to be using this as an every day vehicle that will be used to transport bikes 2-3 times a week.

Whilst bigger vans like Transporters might be more practical as a bike van, they’re nowhere near as practical for daily use as a Caddy…

legend
    Free Member

Having done a bit of measuring-up lat night, I’m not convinced I’d need to go for the Maxi though, does anyone use a Caddy as a bike van?

I did before the Vito. Standard load was 2 fully built DH bikes and a load of kit. Had 6 bikes plus a lot of kit in it at one point, very usable load space. Still not convinced that it was worth the extra over the French vans, but as it was my daily driver too I wanted something I didn’t hate to look at.

There’s a comment above about cheaper plastics, personally I thought they were just tough as, and what I’d expect in a good van.

On the other hand, the rear suspension is horrid (leaf spring + the world’s largest bump-stop)

Shibboleth
    Free Member

There’s a comment above about cheaper plastics, personally I thought they were just tough as, and what I’d expect in a good van.

Yeah, I noticed that… The demonstrator I had a look at yesterday didn’t look cheap in the slightest – my current car is a very well-spec’d Golf and it was all the same switchgear…

So DH bikes fitted in the Caddy no probs? Was that wheels on and lashed to the side?

legend
    Free Member

So DH bikes fitted in the Caddy no probs? Was that wheels on and lashed to the side?

Exactly like that, one on each side top n tail, or both on one side was absolutely fine. Had a photo of it loaded up but I must’ve deleted it by mistake

letmetalktomark

I briefly used a std Caddy van as a bike van.

I managed to get two complete bikes in the back but they had to go in diagonally making a deadspace behind them if that makes sense. These where std HT’s so nothing uber long.

The basic engine version I had was pretty slow but far more economical than I thought it would have been.

To me a Maxi would make a better more usable bike work business vehicle.

On teh trim side mine didn’t even have electric windows but I had no complaints over finish, plastics or comfort.

But lets be fair …. surely you want one of these:

blastit
    Free Member

[/quote]Yes, but a VW will last twice as long as a Renault, will have a far higher resale value and will be far more reliable.

you sure about that ??? sounds like VW bull…. to me .

Why did you not ask in title Help me buy an over priced caddy 😆

matt_outandabout

Andy with the Vito – send me some more info… Matt_outandabout
    AThotmail.com

I found my Caddy Sportline by using the search function on the VW commercials/vans website.

Got it from Imperial Commercials in Derby who were good to deal with, no hassles.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

you sure about that ??? sounds like VW bull…. to me .

Why did you not ask in title Help me buy an over priced caddy

I’m driving a 2001 VW Golf V5 with 140,000 miles on the clock. It still has the complete original exhaust system from new, original clutch, and the only parts it’s ever needed are brake pads, tyres and the usual servicing parts. The bodywork is pristine, no rust (never garaged) and drives like it’s almost run in. I thrash the arse off it and apart from servicing when it tells me too, I do nothing to it.

You don’t see many 12 year old Renault Meganes knocking about.

You might prefer cheap vans, but I can afford something a bit better so that’s what I’ll get. It’s a vehicle that will represent my business so I want something that says ‘quality’, not something that says ‘cheap florists van’.

matt_outandabout

2001 VW

My 2000 passat was hewn from the same lump of granite.
    My 2005 Touran is made from cheese however, that crumbly stuff that has to be used quick before it disintegrates.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

My 2000 passat was hewn from the same lump of granite.

I’ve been thinking of getting rid for years, but it just keeps going! I basically use it as a very fast (and thirsty) van, the back seats are permanently folded for biking and builders yard duties etc.

I had thought about a nice estate, but I’d probably think twice about loading half-a-dozen railway sleepers and bags of cement in the back of a new car! Hence why I think the Caddy would be a better option…

I’ve also just noticed, the headlight bulb has gone… First one ever! Don’t even know how to replace it!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Help Me Buy A Van…’ is closed to new replies.