Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help me buy a TV
  • SaxonRider

I know nothing about TVs and contemporary technology, so probably need a lot of help.

I want to mount a 32″ or 40″ TV on the wall of my front room – with a view, primarily, to watching things like Netflix, youtube videos, Eurosport, and some DVDs.

Ideally, I would spend next to nothing, but I have seen a Sony something-or-other at around £350 and a Phillips something-else-or-other for around £150. Are the low end ones complete shite? What is the difference between a shite TV and a ‘good’ one? What about those no-name brand ones, like Bush?

Finally, what equipment will I need to make all this happen?

Your advice will be most appreciated!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go to John Lewis.

Tell them your requirements.

View options.

Purchase best option for your requirements.

Arrange delivery and installation if required.

Fin.

khani
    Free Member

I got a 49inch Sharp Aquos from Tesco for £300 not long ago that does all the above (apart from DVD) that seems ok to me, all you’d need is a DVD player and your off, they had 32 and 40inch versions as well for a bit less iirc,
    Edit, as for mounting on the wall, brackets are pretty cheap nowadays and if you can’t be arsed chiselling the wall out just buy some stick on trunking and shove the leads though that, looks tidy enough if your not OCD about such things

hoted
    Free Member

Do your own research first don’t go to any shop unarmed they will try convince you some old stock tv is the one you want just for there bonus.

If you are local maybe I could help

SaxonRider

Do they still do that kind of thing, hoted? That sounds a bit ’80s sales technique’ to me. Electronics are hardly the investment of a lifetime nowadays!

In any case, I’m Cardiff.

jimjam
    Free Member

SaxonRider

Are the low end ones complete shite? What is the difference between a shite TV and a ‘good’ one? What about those no-name brand ones, like Bush?

Finally, what equipment will I need to make all this happen?

After a bit of research to educate myself I recently bought an LG 4k smart tv and I have to say it has been excellent. It has a built in freesat tuner, web browser, wifi etc and it’s a joy to watch youtube and netflix on.

It was super easy to set up, and it comes with a remote that is more like a mouse with a pointer and scroll wheel which makes searching and menus much easier than a conventional remote so if that’s an option get that.

SaxonRider

Did you want to say something more, jimjam? Or is there a cryptic answer to my question somewhere in my own words?

EDIT: Too late. I see you added a response. Ignore what I just wrote.

hoted
    Free Member

Sorry we are too far apart (Yorkshire) and yes almost everyone wants your pants down. Are you letting go of the old tube this time around? if so you may need to upgrade or move the Ariel. if your not sure have a look at the neighbors to get an idea. do you download? do you have good internet speed inc wifi?

SaxonRider

I haven’t had a tv before; we’ve been using the iMac as our whole entertainment system for more than a decade. But yes, our wifi is good.

Also, can a tv be used to listen to Spotify?

km79
    Free Member

Everything you need to know is here.

https://www.avforums.com/

Edit: More specifically here.

https://www.avforums.com/forums/which-tv-should-i-buy.367/

jimjam
    Free Member

SaxonRider

Some you can. I think on mine I can install a spotify app. Not gonna bother though since I just set up youtube playlists for music. Can also stream media from the phone.

Cougar

but I have seen a Sony something-or-other at around £350 and a Phillips something-else-or-other for around £150. Are the low end ones complete shite?

It’s as you’d expect really. You can pay extra for additional nonsense but the bulk of the cost of a TV is the display panel, the biggest hit on a cheap set will be display quality. Personally I’d avoid no-name brands and stick with Panasonic / Toshiba / Sony / Samsung et al, but image quality is important to me. Whether it is to you, only you can answer.

I stream Spotify to a Chromecast – £15 or so dongle that plugs in the back of it. (I’m not sure offhand whether this requires a premium Spotify sub or not though.)

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I needed one quickly when we had sky Q installed, as my old one didn’t have hdmi. I got the non-free view version of this.
    https://www.tesco.com/direct/sharp-43-inch-lc-43cff5111k-full-hd-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/714-6584.prd?skuId=714-6584

I wasn’t expecting much, but it is very good indeed!

When my main one goes south in the front room, I would have no qualms about having one as my main telly. And I’ve spunk end loads (up to £2000!) in the past!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help me buy a TV’ is closed to new replies.