Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help me buy a CX Bike!
  • willstaffs
    Free Member

Hello all, I have decided I NEED a CX bike for winter fun, I like the geometry of my Giant Defy Composite so would like something similar for commuting winter miles with a bit of canal towpaths/gravel tracks thrown in!

I dot want to spend anymore than £1000, preferably less!

So far I have narrowed it down to:
    Dolan Multi Cross
    Genesis CDF
    Kinesis Crosslight

They all seen fairly similar but the geometry on the kinesis seems a little bit racier, is that right?

Any experiences/opinions and pictures are welcome! Help me spend my money!

I have a genesis Croix De Fer booked for full day demo on Monday to ensure I enjoy riding a CX bike. I can’t test the Dolan and have so far struggled to find anywhere with a kinesis in stock to even look at!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thought of a Giant?

Whyte do a few too, as do most manufacturers.

willstaffs
    Free Member

In my limited opinion the giants seem a bit more race orientated, I should of mentioned that I want to enable to fit mudguards!

clubber
    Free Member

A Chinese carbon frame from a good supplier (MC098 or AC098 from Miracle/Ican Cycles on aliexpress.com) plus a build of your choice FTW and a bargin for the money

ahwiles
    Free Member

good luck getting grippy tyres and muguards to fit a CDF.

i’ve got one, it’s ace, but it’s not without it’s problems.

pinnacle? – they’re great value for money

whyte?

iolo
    Free Member

Watch the Tea & Biscuits Trailer Here.

These seem fun.

I love the video.

nano
    Free Member

I had a Boardman CX team for a couple of weeks (£750) and thought it was pretty good until noticing that the paint had worn off the forks due to a poorly routed cable. Halford’s were pretty good about trying to fix the problem and then refunding the money.

Now have a 2013 CAADX Ultegra. Paid £1100 from LBS as they wanted to clear it and you can get the 105 or Tiagra model for less.. Decent weight, nice finishing kit and a fairly comfortable ride for an alu frame.

Def worth a look if you want Defy a like geometry; the CADDX has a slightly taller head tube than the CAAD road bikes and I will happily do 50+ miles on mine.

MoreCashThanDash

Not racey but I’m loving my Pinnacle Arkrose 3, great for commuting on towpaths, now slicked up for winter road riding.

MoreCashThanDash

Forgot to add, my Arkrose is fitted up with mudguards and a rack for commuting. Only “fault” are the chicken brake levers, not used them in 8 months, really ought to take them off.

flip
    Free Member

My 52 cm Kinesis is for sale in the classifieds, im in Cannock!

tomaso
    Free Member

I’m selling a tidy Whyte Charing cross with brand new drivetrain fitted – see my forum activity for the ad

swanky
    Free Member

This if you’re more inclined towards the commuting:
    Kona Paddy Waggon

This if you want it for CX:
    Kona Jake

Happy to help you spread those costs out if you need to 🙂

Here is a singlespeed beauty if you’re so inclined: Cinelli Mash CXSS

chunkypaul
    Free Member

that Transition Rapture is identical to the Traitor Crusade – even the paint job is the same

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I built up a Kinesis Crosslight 5T and love it, but it’s my first CX bike so can’t really compare it to others. It does ride well both on and off road. You may want to look into this Planet X CX bike in your budget (just)
    Planet X XLS Shimano 105 CX bike

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help me buy a CX Bike!’ is closed to new replies.