Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help me build it….
  • Kryton57

A stock Genesis altitude in white. All the oem bits worn out, and it needs to become a universal fun, go anywhere singletrack slayer.

Apart from AC wheels, (requiring a std QR) that I already have, what say you should I add from the STW parts bin for a “proper” build eh…?

james
    Free Member

What do you mean by ‘worn out’?

I’d be trying to home service as many of the parts as I could, to keep them going

matt_outandabout

Whatever you can get on classifieds.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Do you want to replace everything but the frame? Are the forks, bars, stem, post and wheels ok?

HermanShake
    Free Member

We’ll never reach a consensus. What’s your budget and what do you want to do with it?

Kryton57

Ok. To try to answer everything at once; By worn out I mean 18 months of hard service. Rear wheel is wobbly, fork stodgy, shifters / mechs sticky. Bear in mind they are all low grade oem parts. In comparison with my XT / fox shod FS it’s night and day to ride – a bit frustrating tbh.

I realise I could service everything but even at full working capacity it won’t be the same. So what do I want? A fat tyred cotic-a-like to be fun on forest single track is what I’m thinking. Happy to get a pike/rev second hand although I need 9mm qr.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Get an SLX groupset deal off merlin (cheap compared to full whack by quite a way), 2×10 that sucker. Bung in a 20mm Pike or Rev and some Hope hubbed wheels (I have a front for sale in t’classifieds 😉 ).

Hold out for a Gravity Dropper 2nd hand, they really add versatility to the bike and maintain flow. Non-stop riding is awesome!

This would drastically improve the sticky, squidgy toffee sponge pudding of a bike you have into an all terrain profiterole stack. Or something.

jameso

^ Yeah as above, get a bolted fork, it’s a stiff-ish frame for steel and a bolted 120mm fork, 70-80mm stem, 700mm bar and something like Rubber Queen 2.2s on wider rims will sort it. Well that’s what I did with mine anyway )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help me build it….’ is closed to new replies.