Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Help me build a nice SS 29er!
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

Right, I want to start collecting parts to build a nice Single Speed 29er to use on local rides before the Winter comes.

So far I’ve decided on a few things:

Frame – Singular Swift
    Bars – Stooge Moto

I like the look of the Swift as I wouldn’t mind running it in 29+.

Cranks and pedals etc. will probably be decided at a later date.

I’m not sure about what wheels I could run. I’d like them to be single speed specific. Tyre suggestions are welcome too!

Any real world experience and photos of peoples builds will be helpful as I want to build this one right.

Yak

Wheels, finishing kit etc is personal preference. The important bits I would recommend from experience are:

Good quality stainless chainring -eg Surly or a bit cheaper – On-one.
    Good quality wide base sprocket eg Surly or Velosolo stainless
    Chain – I’ve been running KMC Z610 HX 3/32″ chains for years now. No need for 1/8″ chains.

Tyres – that be down to your local conditions, but for a decent fast but grippy rear that usually digs in when you are honking uphill – a saguaro 2.2.

flashes
    Free Member

I like my Karate Monkey, I’ve run Beavers over winter and small block 8s in the summer, or chunky monkey, ardent. Tyres depend on what type of riding you mainly do plus if you need to ride on the road to get to the mud…

CheesybeanZ

Theres a pair of 47mm wheels in the classifieds## , they’d give you a nice big volume with 2.3 ish tyres and the option to run plus size if you wanted .

## Not mine .

johnw1984
    Free Member

This is all good info, thanks for taking the time.

Yak, good advice on the chainset stuff, I’ll keep that in mind.

Flashes, I’ve looked at the Karate Monkey as an option too.

CheesybeanZ, They would have been a good start, but I’m not in a position to buy just yet. I’m just getting a list together for now 🙂

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I like the look of the Swift as I wouldn’t mind running it in 29+.

Correct me if I’m wrong… I don’t think the Swift can run a + in the rear?

Cheers, Steve

flashes
    Free Member

This is going fixed gear to replace the one that got knocked, now replaced as my SS bike by this…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

A new Stooge is coming out that will take 29+ in the rear.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Apparently the Mk2 Stooge will take 29×3 on a 30mm rim.

Cheers, Steve

johnw1984
    Free Member

Loving the look of those Surlys.

Hmm, maybe it doesn’t have to be 29+ I think 2.4 tyres would be fine for me.

It was just a curiosity really.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Middleburn cranks look really cool on a SS /Biased mode

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GKgExq]IMG_1300[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

In it’s previous much lighter guise with carbon cranks

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zjmBHN]IMG_1058[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

Cheers.

Daffy

The new Swift will [EDIT] NOT take 29+

milfordvet
    Free Member

John I’m riding a Swift SS that I built up this winter, and just put the stooge bars on. Currently running Race King rear 2.2/ X King front 2.4 Protections. In part coz they’re only about £23 at the minute. A bit slower and heavier than thunder burts bit a bit grippier in gloop. Honking a ss uphill i think a slightly grippier rear tire is a good call. Pleasantly suprised by the roll of the X King on tarmac to the forest. Run 32/17. Halo fat foot with a 1/8″ stainless Inox chain as I sometimes ride on the beach. Mines a large and I’m 5’11 with a 90 stem and some spacers as I’ve got a bad back. I’ve got the cream edition one. Most suprised how well the bike climbs. Maybe the 29 contact patch, but the EBB gives it alot of stiffness in the BB. You can get XT trecking brakes cheap from CRC, and they’ve got manly levers. I’m looking for some new wheels too. Winstanleys are doing the older Crest Stans SS wheelset for £250. Think i’m going to hold out for the new wider and lighter Crests that are imminent in stock on Deore hubs though. Maybe a hope front so i could stick a sus fork on if i felt like it. Otherwise for more trail, the WTB Kom’s seem where its at for wide, light and tubeless. The conti protections fit the ust beed too. For a wider rim, beside the scraper, the wtb i35 is a bit lighter 550g and seems to be where alot of people like the balance with speed, weight, width etc if you want speed not just tyre support. I gather the Easton arc’s are coming in even wider versions too. Quite fancy sticking a scraper/ bombalini 27.5 or 29 3″ too to try, but its all fast xc in the new forest, so light 29 is probably the most ruthlessly efficient. The other advantage with a ss version is if younwant to try drops there is no drop bar gear levers and rear derailleur to get to work together too, just a downgrade from hydro to cable brakes.

New swifts look a bit slacker and have fork and rack mounts.

slackman99
    Free Member

My latest build. 29+ front and a 2.4 ikon at the rear

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Jea18E]20160604_163416[/url] by David Scott, on Flickr

Daffy

Is that a Pegasus, Martin?

Daffy

Be careful saying you want to run 29+. Dependent upon how you like your bikes, doing so can seriously compromise the handling of a 29er. Long stays (in my experience) tend to make a bike feel rather dull and leaden.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Daffy, it is 😀

Daffy

Very nice. I like the lightweight build with the higher front end.

Slackman – maybe it’s the angle, but I can’t even tell that’s a 29+ front. Either that or the 2.4 rear comes up superlarge?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciated. Also, those bikes are stunning. Similar thing as to what I’m after.

slackman99
    Free Member

The ikon is the largest 2.4 I’ve ever seen. Tis massive (mainly diameter), but it’s also probably the angle

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Help me build a nice SS 29er!’ is closed to new replies.