Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help me before I spend my hard-earned money [waterproof jackets content]
  • SaxonRider

I know nothing about Salomon as brand, but this jacket seems to tick all the right boxes for me. Is there any reason I shouldn’t buy it?

Use would be:

1)daily cycle commute

2)periodic – but challenging – rambles with the family

3)general rain use

Obviously, I’d like to get the best possible jacket for the least amount of money, but anything up to £100 would be considered. I have looked at SportPursuit, but their options make my head spin.

Other suggestions appreciated.

scaredypants

1) is your problem IMO, unless your commute is very short and leisurely. I’ve never found a jacket that’s light enough to ride in that I’d wear for other stuff or dare wear a rucksack over. Then again, I’m a bit of a sweaty bugger and you may get away with a heavier jacket for exercising in

I’d be buying 2 tops, one for the commute (I also value pit zips and maybe back vents over goretex) and another for the other stuff (no big need for extreme breatahbility for 2) and 3) so I’d buy cheaper

SaxonRider

I had an excellent waterproof shell that I bought in France a few years back (this one), and it was perfect for wearing on its own when the days were wet but warmish, and with a fleece underneath through the winter.

It’s that sort of thing I’m thinking about.

The-Beard

I’d hunt around and see if you can get a Berghaus Vapour Storm cheap anywhere. They can be had for less than £100 if you hunt around. Fits your requirements perfectly.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Keela Saxon jacket – there was a review on here somewhere.

Basil

I have used these for yonks, Great quality,hood rolls up and the pit zips work at giving max ventilation
    Jacket

doris5000

I’d have a quick run round town and try a few on first. I bought a jacket a couple of years ago, with exactly that list of requirements in mind, and trying a load on I realised that half of them didn’t have long enough sleeves for biking in the rain! I settled on a North Face Stratos in the end, it’s been perfect for the job (I’m about 6ft). I’d be worried if I bought one online that the cut wouldn’t be quite right and it would niggle me every day…

That salomon thing does look good though. If I didn’t already have a very similar jacket I’d be rather tempted!

northerntom
    Free Member

madison flux, mine has been fantastic, only thin mind, so if you’re after warmth would have to couple with a softshell inside.

ton

as a big sweaty beast, the only jacket i have ever found (there have been lots) that i can wear for a prolonged time, is my Showers Pass double century jacket. a genuinely great bit of kit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Go to Go Outdoors. They have loads of bargains. Bought a Rab eVent one the other day for £110 instead of £250.

However, as others I would not recommend one jacket for both cycle commuting and walking. The extra material in the front of a walking jacket will be a right PITA when cycling.

Personally I get sweaty under waterproofs, so normal clothes get soaked, so I might as well change clothes, which means I might as well not bother with a waterproof on a short ride.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Maybe look at getting a windproof instead of/as well as a waterproof and wear that for the commute? Most days it doesn’t rain and you’ll be far more comfortable.

globalti
    Free Member

I’m still using my old Sprayway Goretex jacket, which I bought in about 1995. It has been used in torrential rain in Canada and Scotland as a light walking jacket and for numerous mountain bike trips. It has patches glued to the shoulders from where I’ve crashed and I even waterproofed it once with Thompson’s Water Seal, reckoning it owed me nothing. And yet still the damned thing won’t leak or wear out; it really is amazingly good.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

bit over your budget, but i like the look of the new Morvelo MTB waterproof as a do it all type thing. available end of september apparently.

http://www.morvelo.com/stealth-exile-mtb-rain-jacket.html

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help me before I spend my hard-earned money [waterproof jackets content]’ is closed to new replies.