Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help! Lock on Mont Blanc roof box won't budge! :-(
  • SaxonRider

So I just took my Mont Blanc roof box down from its resting place on the top of the shed, and while I can get the key in the lock, the thing won’t even budge. I have oiled the lock and let it sit and then tried it again, but still it won’t move. It is as if I am using the wrong key, and yet the key I am using and the lock itself both bear the same numbered stamp.

Any ideas? I know that last year, it was hard to move, but squeezing the lid down allowed it to turn properly. Right now there is nothing in it, so that can’t be the problem.

Help! We need to pack for camping! 🙁

Murray

Is the problem that the lock won’t turn because the pins won’t move in the lock releasing the lock or that the catch itself is jammed?

Is the key encountering resistance as you push it in? If so, lots of WD40 and run the key in and out rapidly without trying to turn it so the pins free up.

If that’s not it, make absolutely certain the latch isn’t under pressure. Try twisting the box or lifting and compressing the lid as much as it will go.

All else fails, hammer, large screwdriver and a wrench, followed by a new lock.

wwaswas

Whatever you do I’d make sure you’re confident you can get it open at the other end too.

leffeboy

oil is not so good, it can make the pins stick. WD40 is better as above

otherwise

All else fails, hammer, large screwdriver and a wrench, followed by a new lock

SaxonRider

Thanks for this.

Having now tried all suggestions, I am almost ready to move onto the hammer, screwdriver and wrench part.

That said, what do I actually do with them? Do I pound the flathead screwdriver into the part of the lock where I would insert my key? should it then turn?

I’m sorry, but I have no experience breaking into things, be they my own or others’!

chambord
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRva7z8pvwc[/video]

Murray

Yes, exactly that. Pick either a screwdriver where the shaft goes all the way through the handle or one you don’t care about but with a blade about the same size as the key or slightly smaller. Hammer firmly into the lock barrel, supporting the box around it as best you can. Put wrench on (ideally) flats of screwdriver. Smartly turn wrench or hit it on the end of the wrench to turn the cylinder and sheer the pins in the cylinder.

Another approach is to use a dent puller and slide hammer to pull the cylinder out.

Or take it to a locksmith tomorrow who will have it open in no time for £50.

You’ll still need a new lock or just strap it closed. The lock is only a deterrent to casual thieves.

Good luck.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Whoooooaaaa, try turning the key in the other direction first 😆

flatfish
    Free Member

Makes I laugh. 😆 🙄

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help! Lock on Mont Blanc roof box won't budge! :-(’ is closed to new replies.