Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help locating riding around Leeds
  • bullit
    Free Member

Heading down to inlaws in holidays and taking mtb for first time. Looking for some nice loops of 1-3hr anywhere with about 45mins drive of Pudsey. I am familiar with local short loops near pudsey but any pointers for starting locations , waypoints for a more substantial route or two with some nice singletrack amd techy bits would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks !

Esme
    Free Member

48 minutes to Hebden Bridge
    Nice singletrack and techy bits there, allegedly

edlong
    Free Member

South of Pudsey: Fulneck, Black Carr woods, Tong, Cockersdale area, loads of good bits. I’m normally coming from the other direction, but off the top of my head, something like this might be fun:

Start at Bankhouse Inn (near Fulneck), go down Scholebroke Lane (SW?), hang a right just before the bottom, follow that until you see a ford / footbridge on the left, cross that (whichever you fancy).

Turn right following the other side of the stream, either following the fenceline or have a play on the banking, until you get to another ford, cross that, go up to the main path, turn left and climb a bit (going northish, I think), until just before you get to a bridge over a disused railway line.

Before the bridge, cross to the left and turn left down the disused railway line (i.e. away (southish?) from the bridge the path would have taken you over, not under it).

When the railway line stops at a lane (bridge removed), tuen left up that lane (Tyersal Lane). All the way to the top of Tyersal Lane, turn left, then at the first right hand bend on that road, there’s a track off to the left into the top of Black Carr Woods.

There’s various options in Black Carr Woods, the obvious one being: Go down the main path until just before it starts to drop significantly, take a path that goes off to the right – basically you want to stay right, roughly following the fenceline down the woods.

You’ll eventually end up at the bottom of the woods, which is where the first ford / footbridge was. So, you can go back the way you came to Bankhouse, repeat the loop again and try different lines, go up to the second ford and then turn right instead of left to return to the bottom of Sholebroke Lane, or if you go back up the hill, but this time take the bridge over the disused railway line:

If you want to make it a bigger ride and don’t mind a little bit that might be a little *cough* cheeky, if you get across to follow the Leeds Country Way northish, head through Ravenscliffe Woods, you will get to Calverley Woods where there is some great riding – I’m not that expert on finding it though – if you search on this site, there’s been suggestions for where to go in Calverley Woods…

.. followed by either the same route back towards the edge of Pudsey, then you can go back up Tyersal Lane for another spin round Black Carr Woods on the way back, or back from Calverley via Shell Lane is also good.

And / or, back at the bottom of Scholebroke Lane, head up the bridleway (still Scholebroke Lane) up the other side of the hill (south), through the farm, and follow the lanes (turn left and left again) to Tong village. Go through the village, then just out he other side, turn right down Springfield Lane (bridleway). At the bottom of that, again, slightly *cough* cheeky, go left, and follow the main track, or any of the many others, down the length of the woods, until you meet (on the main path) a road, with a bridleway hairpinning back to the right up the woods – follow that and do a loop, or any of many variations, until you;ve had enough, then head back up Springfield Lane, left towards the village, then take the road on the right just before the cricket pitch – Keeper Lane.

Go down Keeper Lane, through yet another ford at the bottom and straight across and up the hill north through the middle of the golf course – follow this track back up to Bankhouse Inn, where you started.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lemonysam
    Free Member

Might be a good opp to ask for a late christmas present:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Bike-Guide-Yorkshire-Lancashire/dp/0948153970

ads678

Stainburn?

tmb467
    Free Member

As per edlong – Apperley bridge / Calverley woods / esholt and Shipley glen

Drop me an email (in profile) and I’ll show you round

Can also do something near Pudsey if you like too

mekon
    Free Member

Just do a search strava, plenty of stuff. Get yourself up to Stainburn and Otley chevin for a start.

Sancho
    Free Member

Horsforth, Meanwood, Esholt, Calverley, Thackley.

Can put a good 30-40km down easy.

Also dont worry about cheeky, Leeds council dont mind you being on small tracks in the woods. or footpaths, as long as youre not a dick

Simon

Same goes for Bradford council.

bullit
    Free Member

Fantastic – , many thanks for the detailed information – especially Edlong for taking the time to detail the options near Pudsey. Tmb467 I will defi drop you an email and see if we can arrange something – thanks again. Will get some maps sorted.
    Now this is where the STW forum is worth it’s weight in gold!
    Cheers
    Colin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help locating riding around Leeds’ is closed to new replies.