Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help. Leaking Fox Float RL rear shock. leaking from the schrader valve
  • thekendo
    Free Member

http://flic.kr/p/h1WmwG

http://flic.kr/p/h1XpoZ

I’ve been getting my bike ready to get back out on the trails and I noticed that the rear shock isn’t holding it’s pressure over night. I’ve taken a couple of pictures of, which I hope work. They show that the shock is leaking air from around the Schrader valve.

The shock is a Fox Float RL from about 2004. I’ve seen that you can get new seal kits for this shock but I don’t think that they would solve this problem.

I had thought that it would just be a case of tightening it up slightly but surely there must be more to it than that. I’d obviously let all the pressure out first…

Has anyone got any advice about how to get this fixed up? I’m a student and have already spent the best part of £500 getting the bike back on the trails so any suggestions that don’t break the bank would be great….

Thanks for your help.

Kenny

LoCo
    Free Member

Oring on valve assm probably gone, undo and replace check the eyelet doesn’t have crack between adjuster slot and air assm hole too

thekendo
    Free Member

Hi Loco,

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you know if that O ring is included in the kit that you can buy from Fox or would I need a separate part?

teasel
    Free Member

Edit – Just seen the pics. Loco’s probably correct…

🙂

somafunk

Remove valve with a valve core removal tool and fit a new valve from a normal schrader type tube.

teasel
    Free Member

That’s similar to what I posted before the edit, but I was under the impression that the pics are showing tiny bubbles around the base of the valve assembly. That being the case it’s indicative of the valve/shock body interface seal that’s gone and not the valve core seal.

thekendo
    Free Member

hi,

thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify the bubbles were coming from the base of the valve unit….

So from what you’ve said I could probably replace the O-ring and see if that stops the leakage and if not I could replace the entire valve unit????

Cheers for all your help with this.

kenny

thekendo
    Free Member

Got it fixed. thanks for all the advice. removed the shrader unit and replaced the O-ring with one bought from halfords for less than £2. sorted it out..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help. Leaking Fox Float RL rear shock. leaking from the schrader valve’ is closed to new replies.