Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Help , I've got a rat problem
  • foxman
    Free Member

Can anyone help or got any good ideas,
    I have a rat or rats that have got in my bike shed through a hole they have made in the floor, they have caused lots of damage to bike stuff, and other shed stuff.
    I blocked the hole last week and have just found that its chewed another next to it .
    Not sure i want to use poison as i have a dog .
    Any ideas
    thanks

iolo
    Free Member

Leave your dog in the shed.

foxman
    Free Member

Dout that would bode well with the wife

tomkerton
    Free Member

What’s the floor of the shed made of? Pour concrete into the holes if it’s a solid base or screw a thick piece of OSB over the area?

Find the inlet outside and put spring traps out after dark. Keep the dogs (and your fingers) away form the traps. They are deadly. Use peanut butter as bait.

Or find a mate with an air rifle and shoot it soon after dusk as it tries to get in.

project
    Free Member

Squirt bleach or vinegar round outide of shed, theyre usually put off by strong smells.

But theyre lovely, adaptable, intelligent, thinking creatures, so they may well get used to the smell or move elsewhere.

jota180
    Free Member

Dout that would bode well with the wife

Leave the wife in the shed then

foxman
    Free Member

Thanks jota , my laughing at that got me a wonderful scowl

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are they in your kitchen as well? Is that why you’re in a bit of a quandary?

somafunk

Know anyone with a Jack Russell?, this is toby or tobe’s – his best kill rate/day so far is 33 up at a local chicken farm that had a few disused sheds that were overrun- don’t be fooled by his cute looks, he’s so **** quick when he spots them and one shake of the head – broken neck and thrown over his shoulder then he’s onto the next one.

I doubt he’d take to kindly to being parcelled up and sent through the post to you though, i imagine he’d get mighty pissed off.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Dog ftw

Cougar

Not sure i want to use poison as i have a dog .

Poison in a dog-proof case, like Rentokill (et al) do?

foxman
    Free Member

Rats only out in the shed not in the house , I don’t want the dog playing with a poisoned rat

kilo

I was told with mice to block the hole with expanding foam and wire wool, thy eat the wire wool and it shreds their innards, might be worth a shot

jota180
    Free Member

I wouldn’t poison them either – nothing to do with the dog – the stink of dead rats is something else, and under the shed you’d have to put up with it.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

How about a good old smash you over the head rat trap?

carbonfiend
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pvEGee]image[/url] by hlpjones, on Flickr

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Lets not mess about with little nippers big brother, MKIV Fenn Trap ftw

Harry_the_Spider

I have, or rather had, a rat problem too. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rats-nest-in-my-composter

Kill them with poison.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Not my dog. My Fell Terrier is a sensitive soul, caught a rat once and looked guilty for days.
    My Jack Russell though…

foxman
    Free Member

I’ve yet to see the thing in the flesh , just the mess and destruction it leaves

Harry_the_Spider

If you don’t like the idea of poison get a big trap and blow its brains out of its arse.

HTH.

bearnecessities

Above pic reminds me of something I saw today (zero help for OP, sorry)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

jonahtonto
    Free Member

my dad lives in a chapel and we put 4 inches of rockwool between the inside of the walls and the dry lining. rats got in and you could hear them running around.
    it was horrible, you could track them around the room by the noise.
    couldnt use poison due to the stink when they decompose.

in the end he bought a ferret for £3 from the local paper and left it in the house while he went away for the weekend with water but no food.
    no more rats!
    but god knows where the ferret is now! probably out doing something terrible to the local ecosystem

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I think you need a small axe.

takisawa2

Few weeks ago the old chap next door told me he’d spotted a rat in his garden, & put poison down.
    Fast forward…I cleaned out our garden shed the other night, with a torch.
    Shook out an old picnic blanket & one of the kids toys dropped on the floor.
    I picked it up.
    Only it wasn’t a toy.

IMAG4592_1 by pten2106, on Flickr

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Just noticed the OP’s name Be more fox!

MoreCashThanDash

Bearnecessities – my 11 year old loves the Jedi squirrel pic!

bearnecessities
    suburbanreuben
    Free Member

dub dub

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You could use a humane trap…

Be sure to check the traps hourly! The little animals will be hungry, thirsty, and frightened, and they may die if left in the traps too long. Traps should be disabled when not in use and during cold weather. Release rats within 100 yards of where they were caught. Releasing a rat into a strange area will almost surely result in his or her death.

Living in Harmony With Rats

They love grapes, by the way!
    They’ll need a good nosh after a 100 metre yomp.

RoterStern
    Free Member

My FIL has got one of these types of trap. He also had a rats nest in his garage/shed at the end of his garden. He put some really smelly lard in the trap and practically every night he managed to catch one of them and released them a few kilometers away.

Edit: Oops just read the above post about not releasing them not far away from where they are caught.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Edit: Oops just read the above post about not releasing them not far away from where they are caught.

**** ’em!
    They’re rats, They’ll live!

Drac

They’re rats, They’ll live!

Yeah and return to where they came from, that’s why you don’t do it.

The cure.

They may look cute but they hate rats.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/r286zn]1st February 2015[/url] by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

Ed the Cat – Destroyer of Rats and wider eco-systems

squirrelking
    Free Member

Release rats within 100 yards of where they were caught

Yeah, and watch it go scurrying back to where you caught it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the little buggers (have them as pets) but sod having them in uninvited.

They’re not stupid, if you leave them somewhere strange they’ll figure it out soon enough.

mudshark
    Free Member

I made a bucket trap this afternoon as got rats down the bottom of my garden – like this
    [video]http://youtu.be/NxwCp7Iskvs[/video]

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Some ideas here LINK

tonyg2003

Two cats (full on British Shorthair genocidal maniacs) and a 1yr old Border Terrier here. No rats in our garden.

I reckon that cats are actually better for domestic properties at ratting.

spectraken
    Free Member

I think you want one of these 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr6yopBUI-c

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Help , I've got a rat problem’ is closed to new replies.