Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help! Impossible to thread crank puller into crank
  • SaxonRider

I am dismantling the crank set of my son’s old bike, and it is the first time I have done such thing. I was able to pull the crank out of the left side with no problem, but on the right, the threads inside the crank seem to be damaged. The puller just won’t screw in.

Any suggestions? I will hang around the computer, beer in hand, until someone answers.

Thanks!

khani
    Free Member

Clean the thread with a pin and a blast of gt85 type stuff..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What he said…
    or

samunkim
    Free Member

Bend the pin 90deg to get right into the thread.

Also concentrate on getting absolutely straight with the puller. Its far to easy to let your eye-line be drawn into looking at the crank arm angle

parkinpants
    Free Member

Some cranks have a thread on each crank arm, some only on one side. So you might only have to take 1 crank arm off, and then just whack that side with a hammer towards the side that won’t come off.

Maybe post some pics so we can see what type it is.

chambord
    Free Member

You definitely took the bolt out, right? Just checking.

nuke

Bolt the other crank back on and cycle the bike around with the bolt removed from the stubborn crank until it comes loose…what I use to do when I stripped the threads on my old square taper cranks

bearnecessities

I only know ‘old’ bike maintenance and I’ve never know ^ that not to succeed. Don’t do it clipped in though 🙂

Northwind

That’s almost great advice. But you want to leave the bolt slightly in, so that the crank can’t come all the way off. It’s like car wheels.

bensales
    Free Member

But if it is a square taper/octalink/isis-drive, stop the second it comes loose or you’ll screw up the taper/octalink/isis.

TiRed

You definitely took the bolt out, right? Just checking.

And any washers? They can prevent full thread engagement and you’ll strip the threads when you try and pull the crank off.

Ride it with a loosened bolt if all else fails.

taxi25
    Free Member

Don’t mess about,I’ve got a nice fat alloy drift for just this eventually. Turn the bike upside down, lay your drift across the bottom bracket shell and just knock the crank off.

takisawa2

Bit of emery cloth around the thread start. Probably a nick in it stopping the thread from engaging. Even run a blade round it, at 45deg, to chamfer it.

bencooper
    Free Member

A good bike shop will have a tap to clean out the extractor threads on the crank…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help! Impossible to thread crank puller into crank’ is closed to new replies.