Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help identifying an old Saracen mtb (retro content)
  • devash
    Free Member

Evening Singletrackers,

My housemate just arrived home tonight with an old Saracen bike he found in a skip.

Cro-Mo frame made in England according to the head tube, Deore LX 7 speed kit, a bit tatty but still rides ok.

Unfortunately some of the decals have faded away so we can’t work out a model / size. Effective top tube is 580mm with a 22 inch seat tube.

http://imgur.com/a/rWZRs/

parkesie
    Free Member

Tuftrax looks lethal enjoy.

dan86
    Free Member

Roughly 1989 I believe!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Could it be Mountain LX, rather than Deore? Looks like an 89, as Deore LX came out in 94, IIRC.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

1989 tufftrax, my mate had one

devash
    Free Member

Thanks all. Managed to find some identical ones on Retrobike now I know the name.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Deore LX existed way before 94. The tufftrax was a mixed bag of components if I remember correctly.

Deore thumb shifters and a 7 speed hyperglide cassette was what I was jealous of whilst riding my 18 speed suntour montage.

chestrockwell

As mentioned, defo a 1989 Tufftrax. Had one as my first mtb and have another now that you’ve probably seen on RB.

Spec should be from memory Mountain LX front and rear mech, Deore thumbies Exage Mountain/Trail canti’s, levers, crankset and no name Shimano copy hubs on Araya black rims.

Mountain LX was 1989 only before becoming LX the year after, just as Deore became DX. XT was always (Deore) XT. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help identifying an old Saracen mtb (retro content)’ is closed to new replies.