Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help identify my gun.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Okay so this musket (I presume that’s the correct term) has been kicking around the family for quite a while.

Rather than hiding it behind a wardrobe for all eternity I’m considering putting it above the mantle in some way, but to do that I would need to replace the pin that holds the barrel to the stock and fit a ramrod so it looks more complete.

There are no external marks or writing anywhere on the gun. If anyone knows about these things any info would be greatly appreciated.

whitestone
    Free Member

If there really are “no markings anywhere” on the gun then it’s likely not to have been proofed so no gunsmith will work on it (or shouldn’t) – this may be different if it really is a musket and not an early shotgun.

We had to scrap the three shotguns we had on the farm because of this.

jimjam
    Free Member

Well there’s no way to add insert cartridge and it used to have a ramrod attached (it got broken then lost) so I think it’s a musket. I could be wrong though.

jimdubleyou
    slowoldgit
    Free Member

Yonks ago I saw a mention of this place…

http://www.gunproof.com/Proofing/proofing.html

… but I haven’t read the details.

whitestone
    Free Member

@slowoldgit – slightly oddly I’m reading that very page!

jimjam
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member

Any help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bess

I don’t think it’s a brown bess because it’s percusssion cap as opposed to flintlock.

slowoldgit – Member

Yonks ago I saw a mention of this place…

http://www.gunproof.com/Proofing/proofing.html

… but I haven’t read the details.

Thanks slowoldgit, I’ll take a read.

globalti
    Free Member

It looks like it’s been painted brown with that fence treatment. I bet it would look smashing cleaned up and perhaps with the steel parts lightly lacquered to keep them bright.

jimjam
    Free Member

I think that’s just from 100ish years of neglect and storage. I think a bit of subtle cleaning will be in order but I don’t want to go ott on it. I don’t want to make it too much of a focal point.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I had a ‘live pigeon’ gun that looked similar. Black powder 10 bore.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s a brown bess because it’s percusssion cap as opposed to flintlock

Lots were converted to percussion cap according to wiki.

NewRetroTom

Is the inside of the barrel smooth, rifled or hexagonal?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I think Big Chris might be looking for you…

Klunk
    Free Member

looks a bit like a crimean period enfield pattern 1842 but I don’t think it is

epicyclo

I’ve got an 1860 Dixon with similar lines, but with a bit of engraving etc. It’s got a rifled barrel and has been in the family for god knows how long. Unfortunately the ball moulds have got lost.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gunny

Klunk
    Free Member

An early nineteenth century percussion cap muzzle load rifle by Joseph Manton

jimjam
    Free Member

NewRetroTom – Member

Is the inside of the barrel smooth, rifled or hexagonal?

It’s smooth. It does look somewhat similar to the pic Klunk has posted but it’s only pinned once.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help identify my gun.’ is closed to new replies.