• This topic has 45 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • help I seem to be allergic to the new cat :(
  • JoeG
    Free Member

My sister’s daughter is allergic to a lot of things. She is so sensitive that she can walk into someones house, take a few breaths, and know if she will have any problems due to their pets or whatever.

They had a cat that she was not allergic to, but she is allergic to most other cats and dogs. She is taking allergy drops (daily by mouth) that were prescribed by a doctor. These serve the same purpose as allergy shots that are usually given weekly. The drops are a lot more convenient. Something like these I think.

Edit – and that cute little black puffball will be a lazy, aloof, sleep machine before you know it!

They think that it will take her about a year of treatment and she should be ok with cats.

smartmonkey
    Free Member

Depends how sensitive you are. My wife came with 2 cats which would cause me to suffer snuffly sinuses every morning. It worked out that if they weren’t allowed in the bedroom and we got undressed in, and left used clothes in another room I was fine.
    The problem is fixed now though, neither was replaced when old age got them.
    Partial Cure
    SM

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas , out of interest joeg is your sisters daughter living in the UK ? taking allergy tablets at themoment seems to be helping but keep forgetting its a four a day pack and its gonna be bloody expensive at this rate

The only effect it has on me as a crushing feeling in my chest and a wheeze that makes it hard to breathe I don’t get rash or runny eyes and nose or other usual things

JoeG
    Free Member

No, my sister and her family live in the US. I guarantee that she knows shat she is talking about as far as allergies go as her daughter is one of those people that is allergic to nuts so badly that it can be life threatening. She takes the drops for cat and some other allergies, but nothing is available for nut allergies. That is probably due to possible effects of taking too much by accident.

My sister and I both had some allergies when we were kids (pollen, dust, etc) and we had to get allergy shots for a few years maybe every couple of weeks. She says that the drops are so much easier.

I realize that different treatments/medications are approved/available in various countries.

mightymule
    Free Member

It is often cat dander rather than the actual hair that is the problem. Either way, your OH thoroughly brushing the cat every day or every other day (NOT in the same room as you, obviously!), and disposing of the hair etc in the outside bin might help. It will probably also benefit the cat 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

I asked my sister what brand of drops she used, and here is what she said:

They’re custom-made (with the same thing that is in shots) for each person depending on what they’re allergic to. For us, they’re made in the allergist’s office, though I’m sure some places have them made off site.

HTH

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘help I seem to be allergic to the new cat :(’ is closed to new replies.