Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • help – how do i do this with a word in illustrator or photoshop?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

anyone help…

i have a word, i want to keep the top flat, the side straight, but i want the bottom to come up so i can place it over a diamond shape.

warp:arc lower with a neg value if the closest, but it gives me a urved indent and i want it to the diamond point.

also tried envelope distort with mesh but that also is more rounded than sharp.

anyone?

CountZero

In illustrator, you need to convert to curves, then you can add a node in the centre of the bottom line and drag it to wherever you need it to be. Text should be amended as a vector image, not bitmap.

nickjb
    Free Member

CountZero has the proper way. A quick bodge to see how it would look would be to cut it in half and do distort on each half

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

No need to convert to curves.

Type out your text.

Draw the shape you want to constrain the text into. I’d do a rectangle then ‘add anchor points’ and drag the bottom middle node up to where you need it.

Select both text and top shape.

Then select ‘Object / Envelope distort / Make with top object.

The nice thing about this approach is that both the text (see edit below) and the distortion object remain editable so you can fiddle with it to get it just right.

edit:
    Apologies. Illustrator automatically converts the text to curves, so the text does not remain editable.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sorry, bit more playing revealed that i was right the first time. Text remains editable as does the envelope.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers guys, muppetwrangler you are a genius, i tried all day and had given up!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘help – how do i do this with a word in illustrator or photoshop?’ is closed to new replies.