Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help, help! I think I might be turning into a roadie!
  • tomj
    Free Member

So to start with let me state I have nothing against roadies. Some of my best friends are roadies. But I just thought it wasn’t for me. My commute isn’t bikeable and I’ve always seen uphills as a neccessary evil for the downhills that follow.

But yesterday I had a bit of a revelation on a Peak District ride. One that was planned to take in plenty of fun, fast, rocky, proper MTB descents. Firstly I was suprised at how pleased I was to get to the top of the Mam Tor road without stopping. I never thought a road climb would give me such pleasure! Then at the end of the ‘proper’ ride I faced a 6 mile or so road ride to return to the car. I had a pint to steel myself for the boredom that was to follow, then raised the saddle, locked out the forks and grimly set off to get it over and done with. A few minutes in I found myself quite enjoying wizzing along the road. Then I started to enjoy trying to get up the short sharp hills without stopping or pushing. After a bit I thought, this is actually quite fun. Then I even started thinking how much more fun it would be on a road bike.

Am I turning into a roadie??? What can I do to resist? Should I book myself on a week of hardcore rad, gnarly lift assisted downhill riding. It would be cheaper than giving in and buying a new bike I’m sure…….

jam-bo

Just get a road bike. No one cares.

Jamie
    Free Member

No one cares.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Nope, you’re safe!

Toasty

I found myself quite enjoying wizzing

nikk
    Free Member

Riding bikes is fun.

News at 10.

😀

hh45
    Free Member

That does sound rather like being a full on roadie. Probably time to embrace the tendencies rather than fight them..

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have started getting out on the road bike a lot more recently with the aim of being fitter so I can be faster on the MTB and enjoy it more.

I have always been the sort of rider to struggle up the climbs and be perfectly happy to get off and walk. Now I am charging up the hills on the road bike as hard as I can am really happy when I get to the top without dying. I am not going to shave my legs an an resisting Lycra.

eshershore
    Free Member

just get a road bike, there is no shame in it, and it can great fun with useful benefits for fitness and time saving when you just want a quick ride to get the buzz

its really nice to own both a road bike and a mountain bike!

here are mine:

captainsideburns
    Free Member

You should definitely get into road riding, there’s heaps more gear to buy!!!

NormalMan

It’s a slippery slope! My road bikes out number mtb 3 -1 at present!

I find it a great way to clear the mind (and the wallet)!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help, help! I think I might be turning into a roadie!’ is closed to new replies.