Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • HELP HELP HELP – bleedin' radiator
  • cinnamon_girl

Have let air out using key, turned it in opposite direction but now water will not stop dripping 😯

What do I need to do please cos I'm getting a bit panic stricken!

Thank you so much!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Did you turn it in the right direction? 😉

If you did, try opening and closing the bleed nipple a couple of times and free off any corrosion around the thread.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It could be that there's muck in the thread, I'd loosen it abit again and re-tighten, but dont over-tighten.

Dont forget that if you have a sealed pressurised system you need to re-pressurise it after bleeding.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I have given them a little tweak with pliers to nip them up in the past.
    If you can't stop it closing the valves at both ends of the radiator will stop your whole system draining whilst you sort it out.

cinnamon_girl

Done that mastiles! Thanks.

cinnamon_girl

Just had another go and opening and closing. Fingers crossed!

Important thing is that my bikes are safe 😀

Thanks everyone 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What you do need to avoid, though, is idiot builders coming in and snapping off the head of the nipple rendering it impossible to ever bleed the **** thing again. And of course not own up to it and **** off leaving you to sort it yourself.

cinnamon_girl

It seems to be OK now, thanks everyone for your help 😀

Central heating is being serviced next week, can just the valve be replaced? Or is this an inevitable thing to happen?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

can just the valve be replaced

I doubt it. And if it could, it would probably be more economical to fit a new rad anyway. They aren't expensive.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I doubt it. And if it could, it would probably be more economical to fit a new rad anyway. They aren't expensive.

Agreed – a new rad might be more effective than the existing one (assuming it is old) anyway as the designs radiate heat much more effectively nowadays.

Driller
    Free Member

Usually the bleed valve core can be removed from the radiator and replaced fairly easily. You'll need a radiator valve key (like a big, square allen key with a hole in the end) a new bleed valve and some PTFE tape to seal the threads on the new valve core.

It's very common for bleed valves to get painted over and stuck. You're very unlikely to need a new radiator just because of a leaky bleed valve.

cinnamon_girl

Hurrah! It definitely seems to have stopped dripping. New radiator is out of the question!

Thanks again for your replies – STW to the rescue again 8)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No problem – feel free to deposit a small 'thank you fee' for the advice into a charity box sometime 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘HELP HELP HELP – bleedin' radiator’ is closed to new replies.