Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help Help Help!! Any happy genesis longitude 2017 riders?
  • rimvys84
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Please help making my mind. Longtime now looking at a longitude 2017, cant make my final call. As there is not much reviews about the bike, makes it hard to get oppinion. As I live in Spain, and the closest genesis dealer is 500miles away, it makes extremely hard to buy a bike without seeing it live not talking about riding it.. More i hesitate more other options coming to my mind, as tarn or vagabond. Could you please share your experience if you got one?.. How does it feels on a tarmack does it has a lot of drag? How it feels on a singletrack without a front suspension? How is loaded with bickepacks, how is on long rides? Im in to road biking, but realy want to go off road!.. Thanks in advance

burko73

I’ve got one, you can pick them up for under £800 new at the mo.

I really like it as its old school and simple. Its back to basics for me and I enjoy it because of that. the deore stuff works well as you’d expect.

Its comfy and the plus tyres are great for traction and to take the sting out of rough terrain but it ain’t suspension!

feels a little draggy on tarmac but thats to be expected.

its got braze ons/ bosses for everything imaginable. the fork mounted cargo cages are good. I had plans for a few long term trips on mine. mostly pulling a bike trailer at the mo unfortunately but it even does that well.

looking to pick up some lighter 29″ wheels for it at some point.

difficult to advise really but I’m happy with mine and it ought to be something that lasts a few yrs. hard to justify a surly or salsa alternative at the price you can pick up a longitude for.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve got one, if you look back through my recent posts most of them are probably telling people how great it is! I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one for bikepacking/off road touring, mine has been faultless in the 9 months I’ve owned it. I’m not a massive fan of the gorilla cages, the Blackburn outpost ones are worth buying as they are stronger and carry more weight. “Old” standards mean you can easily get a dynamo hub for the front and hub gear for the back if you want. If you can’t try one first, be aware the geometry table makes it seem like it’s really stretched out but for reference I’m 6’1″ and the large fits me perfectly. Any other questions just put them up!

rimvys84
    Free Member

Thanks guys for replys and advices. Just put an order, now waiting for a big box to arrive! 😉 Im 6′. I went for large. Cant wait to test it out! Cheers agin folks, and happy riding! 😉

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Had mine nearly a month now and the full suss hasn’t left the garage ,been using it to commute along non paved tow paths , off piste over Cannock and over some natural routes in Malvern ,I was a bit dubious about being rigid but it is really comfortable , as long as the single track is flowy ,rooty or slightly rocky it’s a perfect bike , haven’t had the balls to try it on any drops over 6 inch ( don’t think my old body would take it ) but the bike itself inspires quite a bit of confidence , just got to try it fully loaded after Christmas and try and join in with the bivvy a month boys

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Forgot to add fitted some mudhuggers to it as those tyres throw up a lot of mud

burko73

I thought they’d be long but mines a medium and I’m 5’8” (just) and it fits fine. Wouldn’t want it any shorter.

Anyone got any experience of losing or breaking the gorilla cages? They feel a bit flimsy but I’ve stuffed dry bags with coats etc in them and they’ve been fine. Has anyone put cookware etc in them and they’ve not fallen off?

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Not put cookwear in them but do carry a 4 pint of milk in one and 2 l of water in the other on my first commute in ( 10 mile up a tow path) and they have never bounced out or broken , think they just feel a bit flimsy when tightened I’ve had no problems

burko73

Good to hear.

mariner
    Free Member

If you use it for bikepacking do you use a bar bag and how do you attach it?
    Bar harness or direct?
    Any clearance issues with cables rubbing on headtube?

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve used mine with both a front rack and a bar harness

Here

And here

The Alpamayo harness I have fits great as it has rubber stand offs, no issues with cables getting crushed as long as I take the time to fit it right. I also had On One OG Bars for a while but the angles of the cable meant they wouldn’t work as well with the harness. No problems with the front rack other than a bit of wheel flop from the weight being further out front.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

Got a 15 l ortilieb handlebar pack on mine it’s got its own foam spacers and attaches directly to the bars ,no sign of any rubbing ,fits much tidier though with a set of Jones bars I borrowed to try , but there was too much sweep for me . Looking at those really strange ( and heavy) surly moloko bars similar to Jones but less sweep

jerrys
    Free Member

I’m six foot and I’ve got a large.
    Funnily enough, I’m looking at the Moloko bars myself. I tried Mary bars on it which seemed a bit narrow. The standard bars seem to wide and I might chop a bit off them if i don’t get the Moloko ones.

burko73

I’m 5:8” and chopped a bit off my bars as they were too wide for me #notenduro

Quite fancy trying jones bars as the flat bars don’t feel like they are enough sweep esp after riding a drop bar gravel type bike perhaps?

My fatty has ergonomic grip/ bar end combo and I might try those first.

steezysix
    Free Member

The stock bars are definitely pretty wide. I cut mine down to 720mm and added some bar ends for different hand positions. Would like to try the Jones loops but the price puts me off a bit. The on one OG have a good bit of sweep and work well for less technical riding.

burko73

I’ve got an old set of the genesis alt bars on my old orange pub bike. I wonder how the sweep on those compares to the jones bar?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help Help Help!! Any happy genesis longitude 2017 riders?’ is closed to new replies.