Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help: Hayes stroker caliper bleed screw leak
  • olib
    Free Member

when bleeding and squeezing the bottle some fluid goes throught the system some comes out of the threads on the bleed screw… when i release the squeeze loads of air gets drawn through the bleed screw into the bottle…
    anyone had this problem?
    do i have a block
    an airlock perhaps
    any help appreciated..ive spend hours on this now!

coatesy
    Free Member

The problem is that these bleed nipples weren't designed to be pressurised from the outside when open, hayes' solution is to cover the thread with a sealing compound. I guess yours has broken down, a new one should stop it leaking unless you're handy with brake fluid resistant sealant.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I've recently gained a set of stroker trails on a bike. Noticing they needed bleeding and that they had a torx screw on the reservoir/lever body.

My Formula bleed kit fits the reservoir, i wonder if the bleed nipple on the caliper can be replaced by a torx screw? If so, a syringe bleeding system would make the job a lot easier.

coatesy
    Free Member

Why not just connect the Avid kit onto the bleed nipple, it's got to be better than leaving the system open while faffing around trying to refit screws.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

But the bleed screw is already leaking isn't it?

I find Formula brakes dead easy & they have the torx screw/syringe system.

DickBarton

I had this problem…only solution I found was to put some plumbers tape round the thread and stick it back in…created a good enough seal to prevent any fluid coming out but I reckon it never fixed it right…

coatesy
    Free Member

Sorry Muddydwarf, got confused there and just thought you were asking about your brakes, not Olib's. Not sure if the threads on the torx fitting/Avid bleed kit are the same as the caliper bleed screw on strokers.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah same, had to use PTFE tape on the threads on mine to get a good enough seal. That said I still failed to bleed them to my liking after 6 attempts, although that was more down to faff at the brae lever end.

olib
    Free Member

I have put some ptfe tape on the bleed nipple and that has stopped the leak..can get the brakes working though..nightmare..race on saturday too..

i have notices oil and bubbles coming out the side of a piston..does this mean the seal has gone?

cheers for the responses so far

olib

coatesy
    Free Member

Sounds like, on the bright side though, only about £7 for a new piston and seal.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also possible that it may be fluid that's been spilt from the previously leaking bleed nipple, what was the reason for bleeding, did you have a problem or were youjust putting fresh fluid in the system?

olib
    Free Member

the piston post broke on one piston – always had been bent anyway..
    i have ordered the full piston kit and im gnna get the lbs to take a look today – not in my girlfriends good books as ive borrowed her brake for the next few days riding in wales.
    cheers for the comments

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help: Hayes stroker caliper bleed screw leak’ is closed to new replies.