Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • HELP !!! – Hayes Nine Brakes Question – putting them on a new frame
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Hi, I bought a set of Hayes Nines which I am now ready to put on my new frame, only problem is the frame has closed in hose guides and the hoses are all connected up to the calipers and the levers.

I have tried to get onto the Hayes site but for some reason its not working. I have absolutely no idea what to do, these are the first set of disc brakes I have fitted, never even changed the fluid so have NO IDEA !!!

Help would be gratefully received guys……

Smee
    Free Member

Basically, you're ****. 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

2 choices

1, take hoses off, drain, fit, fill & bleed
    2, just cable tie the hose to the frame

Obviously 2 will look a bit poo, but could just be a temp solution until you either have the tools, bits & confidence or go to lbs or get a mate who knows what to do

Or you could cut the hose guides

Simon

Use zip ties to fasten the hose to the closed guides, not that pretty but it will do the job with the minimum of hassle.
    I did it on my 456 as a temporary measure 12 months ago………..the zip ties are still there.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Yep, zip ties here too, not as neat as the other solutions but quick and easy.

Del

by all means zip tie the hose on, if you want everyone to snear at your lack of man skills 😉
    1) buy a spare olive from crc – the brass bit for a couple of quid.
    2) get a SHARP blade.
    3) unbolt the hose at the lever end – be careful not to round the compression fitting.
    4) depending upon size of the olive you may need to cut the old one out to get the compression fitting of the hose – don't cut it to the desired length yet.
    5) thread it through your frame guides.
    6) REMEMBER to fit the compression fitting.
    7) using your SHARP blade cut the hose square and to the length you want ( remember you can't add hose on afterwards 😉 ).
    8) push the new olive into the hose. make sure it goes all the way down ( the hose should go inside the rebate under the 'head' ). at this point you should get a little fluid come out the end because the olive is displacing it out the hose. if not, tie the hose facing up, and push the pads out a smidge until you get a bead on the hose end.
    9) fit back into the lever body and do up the compression fitting.
    done.

very doubtful you'll need to bleed the system unless you are completely cack-handed.
    it is pretty easy. hardest bit is probably getting the olive pushed in properly. silicon gloves help if you don't have strong fingers.

Simon

Every time I've shortened hoses I've had to bleed the brakes. Cack handed me 😆

roadiesean
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I think I'll give the zipties a go !!!

And then take it to LBS !

thefettler
    Free Member

wuss 😆

Fishbone
    Free Member

Hi,
    I did what del said, very easy, no need for bleeding. This was in one of the bike mags if I remember.

roadiesean
    Free Member

Oh, alright then, F it ! I'll have a go !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘HELP !!! – Hayes Nine Brakes Question – putting them on a new frame’ is closed to new replies.