Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Help – have a bent my forks ?
  • justa
    Free Member

Sounds a silly question but…..

1st commute to work on my new to me Kona Dew Deluxe….

It was very fast – so fast that I rode straight into the wing of a VW Golf (totally my fault – I was on the pavement he was pulling out of his drive)

My wheel crumpled like a piece of paper – well folded in two really…

Had to get a wheel built – its 700c disc, now I thought the fork would be fine as its a Kona P2 steel fork – how easily do these bend ?

I picked up the new wheel and put it in today, but it won’t spin properly – tinkered with the brakes but no luck….

Looking at the bike the angle of the fork looks wrong – also when turning the bars toe clearance has suddenly become a big issue

Have a bjorked my fork as well ? I thought it would be indestructible ?

yours feeling very stupid

Justa

Andy

Sorry to increase your worries but are you sure its not the frame? 🙁

justa
    Free Member

erm – how would I tell ?

theboatman
    Free Member

Any visible damage to down tube? paint flaking or owt? Post a pic up.

justa
    Free Member

hummm – just checked a photo on the kona website – it really doesn’t look right 🙁

The fork looks like its been pushed back (which would explain the toe clearance problem)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pwned

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

helpful

Stoner
    Free Member

I think you’r emissing a bit of rake on those forks now… 🙂

looks like a good bump. You OK?

aP
    Free Member

Just get a prybar and bend the forks back to more or less where they were originally.

On second thoughts, just get some new forks.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

new bike time

finners

forks ****…. 🙁

wwaswas

I’d check the frame really, really carefully.

not wishing to take advantage too much but;

can I interest you in a set of Pace Rc31’s 420mm a-c – see my ad in the classfieds

justa
    Free Member

racing ralph or maxlite whatever your name – it changes so often but you remain a t**t – thank god my children don’t get taught by you…

stoner – I am fine thanks – bit of a sore wrist but no change there eh ?!

So fork is the problem then – I presume they can’t be fixed ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

yep, that’s exactly what a buggered fork looks like!

I’d also run your finger over the top and bottom of the top tube and down tube to feel for any ripples.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Justa – i may be a **** but you are still uptight

colnagokid

Oh dear!!! 🙁

matt_outandabout

If I were you justa, i would be giving the front of the frame a very careful look over – flaky paint, funny cracks or patterns on the paint. Also feel and look for dents, ‘non straight’ tubes (you can use the edge of a ruler to check all round along each tube). Also eye it up from the front to make sure the headtube is still in line with the seat tube as you look from the front.

If you are unsure, take it to LBS and pay a few quid for a proper look.

chainslapp
    Free Member

I dont think he is uptight, his forks are definately bent from that picture.

retro83
    Free Member

as above, check the frame very carefully 🙁

acjim
    Free Member

sorry to ask but why were you riding fast on the pavement?

hope it didn’t hurt too much!

justa
    Free Member

thanks folks – I have checked the frame carefully – pointed my Hope LED at it…

There are no cracks, creases, bits of flakey paint – it all looks normal ?

cheers matt – I’ll try that too

acjim – just coming off a cyclepath onto a road – the traffic was queueing up so I thought ‘i’ll just pop down the pavement’ old giffer pulls out of drive….

i know it was stupid and I am learning my lesson

james
    Free Member

Though the tubes look fine (its only a picture – so I can’t tell), the headtube looks like its bent back a LOT
    In the pic from konas website the head and seat angles are about parallel
    In your pic of the crashed bike the head angle is significantly steeper than the seat angle.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Glad you’re ok Justa. Is there any kind of crash replacement policy from Kona? Definitely need new forks, those are scrap, as long as you’re happy with the front end, then you should be ok.

Be careful out there 🙂

kevonakona
    Free Member

I’ve a set of P2s disc specific, yours for postage, i’ll check length of headtube. Hope your OK.

acjim
    Free Member

oops! did you have far to walk?

Bunny hop it next time 😉

oh, and I agree that the head angle looks off – possible bend in the top tube?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Glad to hear yer ok Justa..

Yup.. looks like new forks time.. 😕

I_Ache
    Free Member

I did that once turned out I cracked the steerer just under the headset race. I didnt realise at first and even rode some flights of steps on it. It was when I started riding home and I realised that my tyre was rubbing on my mud guard.

justa
    Free Member

thanks folks for the kind words 🙂

I’m worried now though – i think/hope the head tube angle looks odd because the forks make it look odd ?!

kevonakona ? really that would be fantastic !!

markenduro
    Free Member

Frame angles look ok to me, give it a good going over though to make sure, forks are definately for the skip though. If it was me I’d go for something other than p2s as I am not a fan of them.

druidh
    Free Member

I hit a car a few years back – I was on a Specialized Hardrock. The wheel was fine, but the forks AND frame were written off. I’d get that frame down to a knowledgeable dealer and get it properly checked out.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks like just a bent steerer to me. Slap some new forks in, job done.

justa
    Free Member

heres a photo with the fork off – i don’t think it looks anywhere near as bad…

justa
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s usually visible damage if the frame is bent, compare it with a good one.

Think you need to chill out a bit TBH – you know Rob and he’s just having a laugh.

justa
    Free Member

thanks Al – all looks ok

and you are right about Rob but sometimes…..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

lol, cmon justa could be worse dude!! You could have a Ford Focus to sell!

justa
    Free Member

true 🙄

Andy

A good way to check the frame is to run your fingers along the underside the seat/down tube near the head tube. If its bent you will feel some slight bumps near the welds, and also probably see cracked paint. If you dont and its a steel frame you are probably Ok. If you are still worried get a decent LBS to check it.

justa
    Free Member

cheers Andy – can’t see or feel anything odd

its an alu fram although it does look like a steel one

i should probably take it too my lbs though

justa
    Free Member

does anyone know where exactly i measure the length of the fork ?

axel to crown ? where is that exactly ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Help – have a bent my forks ?’ is closed to new replies.