Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help! Girls 16" bike – Good but on a budget!
  • cjr61

Upcoming 4th birthday so new bike on the cards!
    I know Isla is the gold standard but budget dissmisses them.

Thinking about a Ridgeback melody, Carrera Luna, Saracen Bella….anything else?

I feel anti coaster brakes as I want her to learn real brakes and she is OK on her 12 with real brakes already.

Suggestions would be great!

shifter
    Free Member

Cjr are you me? Just looking at Melody and Bella – reduced at ukbikesdepot. Also looking at the lightweight Gates belted jobbie at Evans, but that’s back to Isla price 🙁

ads678

My lad has been riding the 16″ Carrera Blast (boys Luna I think) for the last year and it’s been great. I can highly recommend it. It’s deff on the list for the move up to 20″.

The Jamis kids Bikes at Evans look pretty good, Is there anything at Decathlon? They’re usually pretty cheap.

cjr61

Kindred spirits! My little one had a raleigh sunbeam 12 for first bike but the tyres are like solid plastic and terrible…..she deserves something with a bit of traction!

the-muffin-man

Go to Decathlon – they do some really good kids bikes at very good prices.

shifter
    Free Member

This anorak is concerned about which gear ratio his 4yo would prefer: 32/18 or 36/16…

cjr61

I love the way that shops ae now promoting them as single speed bikes for kids….yes i know they are but now SS is cool! Fixie bikes for kids soon!

the-muffin-man

This anorak is concerned about which gear ratio his 4yo would prefer: 32/18 or 36/16…

Kids don’t care – they just ride!

luke
    Free Member

We went with the Melody, after progression form a lil pudin, both kids are currently on Ridgebacks and I have been happy with them and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another, in fact both of mine will soon need new bikes. I wish they would stop growing.

cjr61

Shifter – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ridgeback-melody-16-girls-bike

Advice from home is that I need something more girly!

Looks like a cracking bike and good price.

shifter
    Free Member

Thank for that CJR, bit far for me though!

Just pulled the trigger on a Melody from Hargroves and praying she stops growing for a year at least 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Definitely Ridgeback – my lass has nearly grown out of her brothers old MX16, decent bikes that are light enough but tough enough for kids dumping them at random all over the place

doof_doof
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with the Melody. We picked up an immaculate 2nd hand one for 25 pounds. Very impressed with the build quality, and it has ‘proper’ cranks, not a horrible wonky 1pc steel crank like many of the other brands have.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I really rate the Honey (14″ version of the Melody) we got for my little one. So far faultless. Strong enough that I can ride it but not too heavy.

That said, the IslaBikes do seem to hold their value if you look after them.

Hargroves had the Honey/Melody on sale the other week, worth a look??

j40aja
    Free Member

My 8 year old daughter has a Dawes Blowfish which seems a good bike (brakes are rubbish though and not great levers for small hands) and she’s now needing a bigger bike and when my son is old enough he’l learn to ride on it.
    If I were buying a kids bike again I’d look more closely at the kit fitted as things like poor brakes can affect confidence when they start to get faster or tackle hills etc.

cjr61

Thanks for advice all. Went rogue and impulse picked up imac Carrera Luna off ebay super cheap. Collected and chuffed to bits. Front suspension even! Little one going to be tearing it up in no time! If only they made black chili Conti rubber queens in 16’s!!

shifter
    Free Member

Melody just built up – it’s hooge!

IMG_00000110 by woldspinner, on Flickr!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help! Girls 16" bike – Good but on a budget!’ is closed to new replies.